2019 ENS workshop discussion topics

We are planning on organising one day ENS workshop on either 7th or 8th October in Osaka.

Reference of previous year workshops are as follows.

Things I have in mind would be

• Status update on (Permanent registrar migration and status update of short name auction).
  • Governance (is root domain multisig enough? what should we do with auction and renewal income)?
  • Adoption
  • Interoperability (including cross chain support, DNSSEC, contenthash, etc)
  • Lightning talks of participants

Anything else we should be discussing? Even though we did “unconf” style to decide topics on the day, I think it would be good to have top discussion list internally which could dictate who we want to invite to the workshop.

Let’s repost this as a public topic, so we can get feedback from the community too.

Brantly, can you start publicising the fact that we’re intending to have a pre-devcon workshop?

It’s pretty technical, but at iExec we want users to be able to encrypt result of their tasks. For that we need a public key … which for now we store offchain in a key-value store.
We are considering using the pubkey entry of the resolver, or a slot the the text entry. This would mean all users will need a (reverse registered) name … but we think it’s better than needing an ERC725 compatible proxy.

So our questions are:

• Is anyone using the pubkey field in production ?
  • Should that be reserved to ethereum (secp256k1) public keys or would it make sens to place an RSA key there ?
  • Is there any argument against using ethereum keypair for encryption (in addition to signatures)

Yeah, that’s probably something you just want to ask at gitter chat https://gitter.im/ethereum/go-ethereum/name-registry. Seems too narrow as a discussion topic.

Topic: FIFS registrars organisation

Description: With the 3-6 chars domains being available, many project are starting to structure their domain hierarchy. I believe that many will propose FIFS registrars for their users/fans. Should we somehow organise that ? Like having a decentralized public records of available FIFS domains ? With a nice UI this could improve the onboarding experience.

Good questions! These might be easier to address in a separate topic, and any resulting standards questoins can become a workshop topic.