App.ens.domains second transaction never is initiated, and so the registration fails

I recently tried to register a name in the ENS registry, but somehow the second transaction never is initiated, and so the registration fails (first transaction goes through fine though, and I never had any issues before with ENS using several configurations). Tried both on Brave and the Brave wallet, as well as Chrome and Metamask (both connected to a ledger).

Not sure if this is related, but I noticed that several names that are available according to app.ens.domains, are not available according to etherscan.io, and this is also the case for the name I am currently trying to register. Could this be related somehow? And, if this is related, would it maybe still be possible to register this name somehow even though app.ens.domains does not allow me?

Can you give an example of a name that shows as available in ENS but not on etherscan?

Can you check in your JS console for any errors?

Thanks for your reply!

An example is mutsje.eth, but meanwhile found out that it’s probably all short (<7 characters) names that etherscan shows as not available. The name I was trying to register also is shorter than 7 characters, but I rather not post the name publicly at this point.

EDIT #2: removed unrelated info.

I will try to register any js errors later.

EDIT: some typos

Update: gave it another try using Chrome + Metamask, and now the transactions went through just fine!

Not sure what went wrong before when using Chrome + Metamask, but it was probably a user error…

The issue with Brave + Brave wallet still stands though. Transactions like setting the resolver, address and reverse record work without any issues, but when I try to register a new name there is no response after the first transaction and I never get beyond step 1, although the first transaction itself is executed without a problem.

The js console throws two errors:
inpage.js:1 MetaMask - RPC Error: TypeError: Cannot read property ‘substr’ of undefined
And:
bundle.esm.js:76 Uncaught (in promise) Error: Network error: TypeError: Cannot read property ‘substr’ of undefined

Of course this might very well be an issue with Brave + Brave Wallet.

For now my problem is solved, but I will update when I find out what the issue is.

Can you include a screenshot of the whole JS stacktrace from Brave?

First I had Metamask installed, but disabled, which didn’t work. Now I have removed Metamask and then it works flawlessly using the Brave wallet. I think it also worked before I activated the Brave wallet, using Metamask. So it looks like having both installed (although one of both is disabled), is causing issues.

EDIT: it’s probably related to one or more of these issues with Brave Crypto wallet, combined with Metamask:

/brave-browser/issues/6301

Not sure if this counts as the JS stacktrace, but this is the error I got when I tried to register with both wallets installed:

inpage.js:1 MetaMask - RPC Error: TypeError: Cannot read property ‘substr’ of undefined
at chrome-extension://odbfpeeihdkbihmopkbjmoonfanlbfcl/background.js:1:123112
at Array.map ()
at chrome-extension://odbfpeeihdkbihmopkbjmoonfanlbfcl/background.js:1:123103
at Array.map ()
at t.exports.getGasPrice (chrome-extension://odbfpeeihdkbihmopkbjmoonfanlbfcl/background.js:1:123047)
at t.exports.addTxGasDefaults (chrome-extension://odbfpeeihdkbihmopkbjmoonfanlbfcl/background.js:1:47603)
at t.exports.addUnapprovedTransaction (chrome-extension://odbfpeeihdkbihmopkbjmoonfanlbfcl/background.js:1:47218)
at async t.exports.newUnapprovedTransaction (chrome-extension://odbfpeeihdkbihmopkbjmoonfanlbfcl/background.js:1:46221)
at async t.exports.newUnapprovedTransaction (chrome-extension://odbfpeeihdkbihmopkbjmoonfanlbfcl/background.js:1:117244)
at async chrome-extension://odbfpeeihdkbihmopkbjmoonfanlbfcl/background.js:1:1278922 Object
(anonymous) @ inpage.js:1
bundle.esm.js:76 Uncaught (in promise) Error: Network error: TypeError: Cannot read property ‘substr’ of undefined
at chrome-extension://odbfpeeihdkbihmopkbjmoonfanlbfcl/background.js:1
at Array.map ()
at chrome-extension://odbfpeeihdkbihmopkbjmoonfanlbfcl/background.js:1
at Array.map ()
at t.exports.getGasPrice (chrome-extension://odbfpeeihdkbihmopkbjmoonfanlbfcl/background.js:1)
at t.exports.addTxGasDefaults (chrome-extension://odbfpeeihdkbihmopkbjmoonfanlbfcl/background.js:1)
at t.exports.addUnapprovedTransaction (chrome-extension://odbfpeeihdkbihmopkbjmoonfanlbfcl/background.js:1)
at async t.exports.newUnapprovedTransaction (chrome-extension://odbfpeeihdkbihmopkbjmoonfanlbfcl/background.js:1)
at async t.exports.newUnapprovedTransaction (chrome-extension://odbfpeeihdkbihmopkbjmoonfanlbfcl/background.js:1)
at async chrome-extension:/odbfpeeihdkbihmopkbjmoonfanlbfcl/background.js:1
at new t (bundle.esm.js:76)
at Object.error (bundle.esm.js:1313)
at _ (Observable.js:157)
at g (Observable.js:196)
at e.value (Observable.js:253)
at bundle.esm.js:1090
at Set.forEach ()
at Object.error (bundle.esm.js:1089)
at _ (Observable.js:157)
at g (Observable.js:196)