Cannot register .NAME 2nd-level domain

Apologies if this is the wrong area to post this question.

The .NAME domain is somewhat different to normal domains as it started out in life only allowing a person to create a domain having three levels, i.e. firstname.lastname.name. (Later on the restriction was relaxed and one could create lastname.name if nobody had previously registered a 3rd level having that lastname.) In my case, I have a domain name of the form firstname.lastname.name. Unfortunately, it appears that ENS only allows one to register a 2nd level domain (of the form abc.xyz), so I cannot register my firstname.lastname.name domain.

Is there a solution to this problem?

If you own the DNS domain lastname.name, then you can import that into ENS using these instructions: DNS names - ENS Support Docs

After you do that, you can create all the subdomains you want, like firstname.lastname.name.

1 Like

Unfortunately, we currently only support TLDs as ‘public prefixes’ - so it’s not possible to import firstname.lastname.name without first importing lastname.name.

I don’t own the lastname.name domain. I just contacted the registrar (Verisign) and they told me I cannot register the lastname.name because my lastname is a common last name and they want to keep it available for others to register their first name as a 3rd level domain. Bad luck!

I know this is a very special case, but it would be great if ENS could be changed to allow importing a domain of the form abc.def.xyz, without requiring one to import def.xyz first.

1 Like