The below is the draft charter for the DNS integration WG. Comments and feedback appreciated!
Chair and editor nominations are tentative. If you want to chair a WG, or be responsible for editing the proposal to keep up to date with the current consensus, please say.
WG Name: DNS Integration
Editors: Chris Remus
A key factor in the success of ENS will be the degree to which it interoperates with legacy systems, chiefly DNS. At DevCon 3 in November 2017, preliminary support was announced for the use of DNS names on ENS, permitting users to securely ‘claim’ a DNS name on ENS through DNSSEC. This provides first steps towards better integration between the two systems.
The DNS integration WG will discuss and standardise means of improving integration between DNS and ENS.
The products of the DNS integration WG will be:
- A standard for representing DNS resource record sets on ENS.
- A standard for the representation, storage, and verification of DNSSEC record sets on Ethereum, suitable for immediate implementation.
- A standard for an ENS registry that permits allocation of domains to accounts that can demonstrate ownership of a domain via DNSSEC.
- Proposals for a standard method for adding support for new TLDs and 2LDs on ENS with DNSSEC support.
- Statements on the expectation of how DNS-based TLDs will be governed with respect to ownership of the corresponding DNS registry.