Charter for the permanent registrar working group

The below is the draft charter for the permanent registrar WG. Comments and feedback appreciated!

Chair and editor nominations are tentative. If you want to chair a WG, or be responsible for editing the proposal to keep up to date with the current consensus, please say.

WG Name: Permanent Registrar Design
Chairs: Nick Johnson
Editors: Nick Johnson

ENS’s current registrar for the .eth TLD is an interim implementation intended to serve for a roughly two year period while details of a permanent registrar are settled. This nominal period expires May 2019. The interim registrar handles registration, but notably lacks any support for renewals, and is additionally deliberately limited to registrations of 7 characters or more.

The permanent registrar WG will define a standard for the permanent registrar. Considerations include:

• Prevention/reduction of namespace clutter (eg, squatting).
  • Prevention of lost/inaccessible names due to lost credentials.
  • Prevention and mitigation of phishing and scam attempts.
  • Allocation of names so as to ensure the maximum usefulness of the system for all participants.
  • Ensuring stability of name ownership, to prevent issues that arise when the ownership or destination of a name is changed contrary to user expectations.
  • Transparency around changes of ownership.

Dispute resolution mechanisms for name ownership are out of scope, as the current plan is to implement these initially as a voluntary second-layer solution.

The output of the working group will be a detailed specification for the operation of a permanent registrar, suitable for immediate implementation.

A few initial comments -

• Add a couple sentences to describe each bullet point. The first three seem pretty clear. The last three seem less clear, e.g. what do “fair”, “stability” and “transparency” mean?

• Should sub-domains go here as a sub-topic?

• I almost think phishing and scam attempt prevention could be its own working group.

• It seems like the last two could be grouped into a higher-level purpose, e.g. Stability/Validity of name ownership, where ownership includes ownership and transfer of ownership.

• Dispute resolution may sit under stability/validity of name ownership. Or, update the current mention to say it’s handled in it’s own working group or simply delete the mention.

I’ve modified the bullet points - better?

No - this WG is purely about the .eth registrar.

Can we define specific goals for that WG that it could accomplish on its own?

[quote]It seems like the last two could be grouped into a higher-level purpose, e.g. Stability/Validity of name ownership, where ownership includes ownership and transfer of ownership.

Dispute resolution may sit under stability/validity of name ownership. Or, update the current mention to say it’s handled in it’s own working group or simply delete the mention.
[/quote]

I agree those are related - but since this is intended just as a starting point for conversation, I don’t think we need to be super specific about grouping everything together or expanding on it.