Do we have a plan or are we just improvising?

There I go again…

Important event in Madrid, @matoken.eth :clap: attends, @ens.eth Is a sponsor :clap:

The question…

— Does @ens.eth know that Spanish is the official language in Madrid?
— Why haven’t you sent someone who speaks Spanish to exhibit? And if you did, which I doubt, because you haven’t shared it to help get more people interested in ENS.

A serious question, what is the plan… to attend and hand out scanned cards?** are those the actions that will accelerate adoption?

Do we have a plan, or are we just improvising?

Well, @matoken.eth works for ENS Labs. I can’t speak for ENS Labs, but I don’t believe they have a plan for reaching into the Spanish speaking community.

As for the DAO, it works in a “bottom up” manner. Meaning, any of us are free to take the initiative to build something we feel will be beneficial to ENS, and if it gets enough momentum, you might be able to get some funding. For example, you could submit an idea to https://www.ensgrants.xyz/ and if enough people vote for it, you will get a small grant of 1 ETH to get started.

Building > trying to coordinate plans to build.

So when you say do “we” have plan, who are you referring to?

3 Likes

This is the main problem, so I think a plan should be created to solve it. Construction must be planned, otherwise we run the risk of wasting effort, time, and resources.

Individual efforts like @enslatino and others are important, but they are not enough. ENS needs to attract the Latin American community.

How does ENS intend to reach 10 million people without counting the Latino community?

Problem: ENS has no plan to reach the Spanish-speaking community.

:thinking: Are members of the DAO interested in ENS having a plan to reach the Spanish-speaking community?

“Without goals and plans to achieve them, you are like a ship that sailed without a destination.” Fitzhuh Dodson.

May I remind you peeps, that the initial plan was to onboard billions into web3 via this .eth coolness

How are those billions going to get on board, if they don’t know about it

1 Like

My main objections to throwing large scale campaign would be two points -

1 - the fact that updated registration manager is not prod ready, that would be one of the major bottlenecks, those people can’t get on board if they can’t register name effectively

2 - to a lesser extent incomplete normalisation, rules have to be more or less final for it to work

before that throwing resources into building large scale campaign feels a bit inefficient as people would be bumping into those thing all the time

however - I think now is a very good time to start building that promo campaign, so that it will be ready for execution at a push of a button just in time for the tools to be ready

As far as ENS Labs, there are foundations for this being laid. Increasing ENS global adoption is at the forefront, and the Marketing team ENS Labs is working with I think will be able to help a lot with this initiative in the very near future.

.eth is in fact cool. However, ENS is more than .eth. ENS is a protocol aiming to serve the public good of humanity. DNS import into ENS is a very overlooked feature of the protocol. I foresee a future where many DNS names (eg. .com, .es, .mx etc) will import their DNS into ENS. There are no registration fees for this, and imported DNS names never expire. I’ve heard the sentiment that .eth name registration, even at $5/year for example could be a hurdle to adoption, especially in developing countries. I would love to see world-wide gTLD DNS imports, and subnames created for free!

It does seem like the goalposts have moved for a production ready V3 manager app, but I believe with good reason. One of the newest and most exciting features is the “fuse” permissions that will be enabled with the new NameWrapper contract. It’s important that the end user clearly understand how to use permissions optimally. Once permissions are burned, there is no going back. The V3 app aims to make this clear and as user friendly to the non-technical as possible.

Because of the amount of code changes after a few bugs were found by @lcfr.eth and @Premm.eth , devs have concluded it’s best to get a new code audit. You can read about that in the post here.

@imrulo.eth I love your passion for reaching global adoption, especially concerning the Latino community. We share similar goals. Many things are in the works to achieve this, and appreciate your feedback and drive to see this happen.

6 Likes

I do like this idea. It would be great to always have a native/bilingual speaker at IRL events.

3 Likes

I’m glad to hear that.

I think the fundamental thing is to have the intention of achieving it. An important step would be to add someone who is bilingual and LATINO to the @ens.eth team. There are some people with great technical knowledge and, above all, with good ethics, who can be useful within the team.

It is essential to understand that:

A Spaniard person (this is just one example) can be bilingual and have no idea what it’s like to live in Latin America and our problems, and how using ENS can help deal with them.

“In Latin America, adoption will only be achieved from within, and we Latinos can help achieve it.”
imrulo.eth

morelove.eth

Si, a mi me gusta Espana a mucho (y He viajado a Argentina y Columbia y me gusta esos paises tambien). Estudiaba Espanol en Malaga y Santiago de Compostela hace muchos anos pero mi espanor no es bueno que presentar en las canferencias. I was going to say at least a few words in Spanish at the event in Madrid but I became a bit shy in the last minute. Apologies if that came across as a bit unfriendly to Spanish-speaking participants.

I have been invited to the event personally by the organiser who I have known him since 2019 so sending anyone else did not come across to me.
I only realised that it was intended for the local audience where probably 70% of the talks were in Spanish once I arrived at the venue. Haven known that in advance, I should have practised hard to do it all in Spanish.

FYI, I am at EthGathering in Barcelona right now and this conference seemed aimed more towards the international audience where the majority of the talks have been in English so far with lot more international audiences.

Not quite sure what this means. Do you mean some sort of flyers?
I was a bit underprepared in terms of handouts so happy to take into account your suggestions.

Like @daylon.eth said, it’s a bottom-up approach so it comes down to your initiative to signal important local community events and propose delegates to send there rather than asking DAO to do something.

For example, it was @AvsA who proposed to have ENS representation at https://ethlatam.org/ . He is Brazilian and I am not sure how Spanish bilingual he is but he seemed speaking good enough Spanish to communicate with local participants when I stopped by.

I am not directly involved in the hiring plan of ENS labs but I believe all the hiring has been based on the job functions than the demography. ENS labs could hire regional representations but it may also make sense to start budgeting more event representations by the local DAO members. Love to hear more discussions in the Ecosystem WG. I tend to attend the weekly ecosystem WG calls whenever possible

10 Likes

I’m very well aware of complicated work done in that direction, the idea was that I didn’t intend to write an essay on ENS, just make a brief statement.

Now that you mentioned it, I think it’s important to build those “bridges” with traditional web2, that’s how you foster adoption, also giving some choice to entities how to run that infrastructure. That being said the essence of ENS are the .eth names, because they are that unique value proposition offered to blockchain community - Name ownership shall not be infringed - Article I.

Without that value proposition ENS doesn’t exists - all the traction to date and all the arguments thrown around are based on mechanics of immutability of .eth names.

Since ENS will be running those for marketing YAP Global and Single Grain (https://twitter.com/sadaf_eth/status/1594053080680497153?s=20&t=g82bYn-Clws7FQ-qvQnajg)

Then that will be interesting to see the attack vector on this one. It’s kinda double edged sword: you clearly cannot market effectively ENS without bringing forward .eth names, seeing how they are the essence of ENS tech, but then to get a proper world wide adoption one needs to be marketing this as well

https://twitter.com/makoto_inoue/status/1577385421549412353?s=21&t=0XpefW03UxEuHOMmL-R6_Q

In my personal opinion, at least the way it looks now, it’s so much more easier to advance ENS agenda via .eth, it’s very relatable and “somewhat” easy to understand. Another important point is that they are NFT - the moment you mention word NFT, everyone’s eyes just light up :). Marketing the latter, would be somewhat more difficult, because it’s not really intuitive for average consumer. .eth names alone is a very complicated concept, then stack all those things on top - people will just switch off.

Soooo… I would very much like to ping YAP or Single Grain, I just don’t see the contacts.

EDIT: Also tagging @sadaf.eth on this one! :slight_smile:

In Latin America, there are plenty of talents that can be part of hiring based on labor functions in ENS. Demography would be a valuable and necessary plus.

The equation is simple, achieving the goal of 10 million frENS without Latin Americans is impossible.

Include someone Latino in the team or, at least, at the levels of discussion where actions related to Latin American adoption are decided.

We don’t need to be invited (if they do, great).

We can apply as speakers, the DAO has funds to cover these costs, it should be in our interest to participate in all events that can be a useful channel to promote ENS culture in the world.

It’s a valuable effort on your part.

I don’t agree with this, I think that delegates should have the ability to detect these events and create actions to promote the adoption of the ENS in these places.

:point_up: This is my proposal!

I want to say that we need to focus on other action when we are at events, for example:

— subdomains can be delivered free of charge so that people already have a first contact with ENS, eliminating the barrier to entry of having to buy them.

— We can prepare an idea workshop to help developers understand which ideas help adoption and which make them less likely.

In doing so, we build by understanding for whom and why we are building.

I’m not asking the DAO to do anything. I ask that we (The DAO) have a plan to attract Latin American adoption.

That plan doesn’t exist, can we create it together?

Let’s get to the action!

As someone from a latino background myself, if I were going to a conference to learn about ENS, I’d much rather it be @matoken.eth (the most knowledgeable person on the protocol next to Nick himself), than an ambassador sent primarily because of where they were born and what their first language was, for what it’s worth.

I think sending someone speaking english to Spain is perfectly reasonable, given a lot of people living there (as with many europeans, especially in tech) have an operational command of the language as a common language between countries. I’d understand if we were talking about somewhere where there were barely any english speakers.

I think the tone that implies ENS Labs did something wrong is unwarranted. That said, having ambassadors for a wider multilingual community is definitely a great goal, and it sounds like it was already in progress!

However, any conference would always be better also having one of the core team engineers there for complex questions and ideas, and what their heritage / language background is should be irrelevant to that selection. (ie. if I were on the ENS Labs team as an engineer, and they sent me to all the spanish-speaking events just because I’m Cuban and speak spanish, I’d be pissed)

1 Like

ok, lets be fair here! we ARE improvising :slight_smile: well for a lot of this stuff anyway

afterall this is one cool startup! :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s not black or white, it’s together with those you mentioned, someone who represents the Latino community.

If you really ask this, it’s because you have no idea what it’s like to be Latino, about our customs or needs. You may have a Latino family or were born in a Latino country, but you are light years away from understanding Latin culture.

… together with someone who speaks Spanish, do you think that’s unreasonable?

It is justified with evidence, @ens.eth have not sent anyone as a speaker to speak in Spanish to address the Latino community at any of the previous events.

I would understand if we were talking about a place where there are hardly any English speakers.

Once again, it’s not black or white, most of these places are inhabited by immigrants, Latinos and people who speak Spanish, there are companies whose main customer speaks Spanish and their owners are Hispanic. Many of them, with a very low level of English. We need to reach out to these groups that speak Spanish.

You don’t need to understand it, it’s not personal.

Necessary!!!

Once again you show that you haven’t understood anything, I apologize: When B doesn’t understand what A is saying, the responsibility lies with A. I’m sorry. My fault.

Again, it’s not black or white, it’s together with the person with a technical profile, someone who speaks Spanish as a support aid, (teamwork) and represents the Latino community, helping with adoption.

More of the same: if you want to involve Latinos, you must first understand them, a Latino can definitely help.

Different attitude to the same event.

(if I were on the ENS team and knew that my contribution could help Latin American adoption, I would be the first option to go!!!) … and I’m also from Cuban.

True!!! :star_struck:

Improvisation is sometimes a necessary tool, “Ronaldinho used to improvise” :soccer: :star_struck:, but now we need a plan or several to help ENS adoption in Latin America, and in other regions. :slightly_smiling_face:

We are people descended from Spanish origins that happen to speak a different derivative of the Latin language, not aliens.

That makes sense for sure, and as @zadok7 pointed out, sounds like ENS Labs is already on it. So there is a plan, it would seem! :slightly_smiling_face:

That makes more sense where you are coming from. I was confused, since Spain (since you’re talking about a conference in Madrid) isn’t in latin america, and people from there aren’t actually “latino,” but rather “hispanic.” There are a world of differences in culture between all the different hispanic/latino countries, as I’m sure you know. :sweat_smile:

I think it’s just important to keep in mind when sending an envoy to any community-specific event that the primary qualifier should probably be their place in the ENS community first, and make sure anything that can get in the way of conversation/learning (such as language barriers) are accounted for, yes. That, in my mind, shows the ultimate respect to any conference/gathering.

Yea, this would actually be a really good thing for Ecosystem probably. Just build a list of volunteer DAO members in each locality that can be called on to support conference presence. Also has the benefit that if they are a local, they don’t fly out the next day and can build more relationships with attendees that live there to help with ENS stuff!

How much ignorance there is in your comment! All of Europe and the United States are full of Latin Americans who can become frENS.
Nor do you know that many Spanish companies focus their efforts mainly on Latin America! Hence, your comment.

I don’t understand, then. It seemed like your concern was the lack of a spanish-speaking representative specifically at this conference because it was located in Madrid:

Is the location of the conference the determiner for who should be sent, or a census of its participants? Cause I agree, there’s a huge latin american presence at all the Ethereum/crypto conferences! That’s a big reason the latest Devcon was in Bogota. But even in Bogota, there were attendees from all over the world with many different native languages and cultures (very typical for crypto conferences, since it’s a rather border-less community).

I guess I’m not clear what the issue is here now. I think we should just agree that it would be great if the DAO could help allocate resources for more localized conference presences – I think we’re all on the same page there! I just also think it’s important that people as experienced as @matoken.eth feel comfortable going to conferences, even if they aren’t fluent speakers in the local language. That’s all! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I’m not specifying Madrid, I’m trying to get the attention of @ens.eth, who seems to have no plans to send someone who speaks Spanish as a speaker to any event.

ENS is not looking for investors, so our goal should not be to talk about numbers, the numbers are good, but adoption is what matters most.

Who will use the tools that we are creating or will be building in connection with ENS?

I’m glad that @matoken.eth is going, I’ve never said otherwise… just that someone who speaks Spanish is also present at events, where they don’t just talk about cryptocurrencies.

Someone who sings reggaeton can also benefit from using ENS. Can @nick.eth or @matoken.eth sit down and talk about this topic with someone? Maybe, I don’t know.

Agree. I think DAO members could propose something like this for funding from the DAO. I believe at one time @estmcmxci was working on coordinating IRL events. Maybe this would be something he and others are interested in and could come up with a proposal?

Agree. I think it was smart to build in the protocol forward compatible with web2 DNS infrastructure. My only point here is that it is a feature overlooked. I think once importing DNS is gas-free with CCIP-read and wildcard resolution, we’ll see more DNS to ENS imports happen. And yes, I think that would foster adoption. It’s definitely just a piece of the puzzle. .eth is unique, and immutable. There with you on that.

Love this.

This sounds like a win if the DAO wants to put forward a proposal like this.

I do like the discussion on this. I like the different perspectives. We must remember we all come from different backgrounds and experiences. Together we can figure out solutions. :rocket: :people_hugging:

2 Likes