Domain Squatting

What to do with Unknown ENS name

1 Like

Valid questions and also really hard to answer… whats fair and what is overly greedy (and also limiting growth of the community as a result).

Not sure if regulation is the answer versus an open discussion like this one to gauge a fair market value.

Perhaps the DAO could offer a periodic vote on a FAIR VALUE MARKET CAP for an ENS name which we could post to the main ENS page. This could be a “ suggested value ” for the cap and not enforced in a way that would degrade the integrity of our open source backbone. Then we could vote every 3 months or so as a community on the value. This way we can update it as growth continues and potentially provide a way to keep it fair and also let outsiders see the growing value. Could prompt many to act if and when the price increases.

I recently saw an offer for ceo.eth for $200k. This would be an ideal starting cap range +/- to begin with a vote. Thoughts @nick.eth, @alisha.eth ? :v:

1 Like

I think that Domain Squatting can serve purpose, however when simple greed is the driving motivation, I think those Domain Squatter’s will mostly lose in the long run. When done out of trolling in a humorous manner, or as an artistic endeavor, I think it can add some excitement to the space, or even simply lighten up the room. I own a few names of Celebs, one is a personal friend that I am simply waiting for his boomer ass to learn how to use a web3 wallet, however the other was purchased as a simple FUCK-YOU to a crypto celeb who was annoying me on crypto twitter. I won’t try to pretend for a minute that I didn’t buy his name out of anything more than spite. Hope at least my honesty comes through on this. Could someone do it to me? Sure. And they have. But you know what… I just roll with the punches and try not to do anything with true malice, because spite and malice are two completely different things.

The free market is the best mechanism for setting the price of an ENS domain name, and we should not interfere with this process, absent fraud, because determining what is a fair price is purely subjective. It’s the top buyer’s subjectivity that counts; it ensures there is one buyer, and only one buyer, at the point of sale. Most importantly, the free market avoids competing claims that could arise with setting an artificial ceiling on prices and the complexity of adjudicating such claims.

4 Likes

I was curious on this as well. I guess I come here to get some thoughts on mucinex.eth which I registered until 2030. I guess I need to look more into the free market etc… But was curious to get some thoughts on that. Thanks

2 Likes

No existing company actually needs .eth address for purpose other than endorsing ENS and ethereum itself. Existing DNS domain, like tesla.com can be claimed as NFT as well and it can be used the same way, just follow instructions on ENS App

3 Likes

Right I understand that.

Actually I’ve set up my business with .eth name and am actively setting up payment options for employees using subdomains with their names. I suppose it’s an unnecessary step in reality but it makes it much easier to track and when your sending monetary value that is important as to not having to like reference a spreadsheet for wallet addresses of each employe.

I’ll keep you guys posted as to how it goes. :v:

2 Likes

Welcome to the community forum!

1 Like

Depending on your business, you could even rent out subdomains like subscriptions to clients or customers for discounted services and merchandise or other perks. I like what you are doing

4 Likes

Where does the $100k go from the person that purchased bbc.eth yesterday (purchased by 𓂸𓂸𓂸𓂸𓂸.eth).

I’m not sure of your point.

My humble guess is that the question is:

“Where does de paid premium for newly released domains go to?”. (EP5)

1 Like

It goes to the DAO, as it is a premium fee for registering the newly available domain name.

3 Likes

https://mobile.twitter.com/osuofia_jetli claims to own elonmusk.eth. The biggest problem I see with that is identity fraud. I almost sent elonmusk.eth $.02 worth of ETH today just to say that I gave the richest man in the world my .02. But I would have instead donated to Osuofia’s cause, which is squatting Elon. This is an issue. This also happened in the early days of .com registrations and twitter handles. It was a huge problem and caused web growth to stall. The only way was/is to go thru ICANN’s process. Uniform Domain-Name Dispute-Resolution Policy - ICANN . Does ENS have a written policy around this? See also: Twitter's policy on username squatting | Twitter Help

No, there are no terms of service, similar to how there are no such terms for using Ethereum in general. It’s a completely open and permissionless system for all.

There are things built into the protocol to discourage squatting though, like the renewal fee system, the differing prices for 3/4 character names, and the auction upon expiration.

1 Like

@serenae I am as libertarian as it they come, but not an anarchist. ENS could be litigated out of existence with no policies. If you don’t respect people’s identity or IP, you will be handled. Ask Napster. I was there. It was not pretty.

Sorry, but nobody owns the protocol. It is a set of fully decentralized and permissionless smart contracts on the Ethereum network.

2 Likes

I find this to be controversial. With all due respect, why spend your time sending elonnmusk.eth two cents worth of Eth?

Also; after reading your post, your decision seems to be at your responsibility if your hand was not forced an unwilling action.

You should never send money to an address that you can’t confirm that the receiver is the intended entity unless you have no qualms with that.

@serenae I know what ETH is. But now that ENS has a DAO, and a legal organization, it can be sued. The Caymans is a great jurisdiction for taxes. I have been there. Beautiful place. But they do have courts.

The ENS Foundation - ENS Documentation. Anyone can be sued. Nick Johnson, Brantly Millegan, and Kevin Gaspar are listed as directors. I would hate to see them end up like Sean Fanning because they didn’t have the first policy in the ENS Constitution regarding names disputes. Sean had a great idea. It was the beginning of the de-centralized web and p2p. But his model did not respect IP.