Draft: Q1 & Q2 2022 Public Goods Working Group Budget Request

Summary

This is a draft of the proposal that will go live on the 28th. The Ecosystem WG is requesting funding to start the Q1/Q2 2022 term. The initial request is made up of three components:

1. Elected steward compensation: $12,000 in usdc
  2. Bounties for ENS Public Goods Request for Proposals program: $50,000 in usdc
  3. Public Good grants for existing projects: $50,000 in usdc
  4. Operational Budget $38,000 in usdc

Total for Q1 & Q2: $150,000.00 in usdc

The group will be using the price of cDAI in uniswap to calculate the exact amounts requested. We are using cDAI as a accounting unit as a manner to provide a stable value that will still accrue value while not in utilization and resist dollar depreciation. The group can convert them in DAI when sending out payments and grants. The current price of cDAI orbits around 0.021-0.022 per dai and the total budget would be, in today’s value, about 6.85M cDAI.

Elected steward compensation

The group has 5 elected stewards: Alex (avsa.eth), makoto.eth, sumedha.eth, Scott and Richard Moore (Ricmoo.eth). Two of these steward are appointed by True Names and will not be receiving compensation, and one of the other stewards has elected to forego compensation and therefore we will asking only for a total of 12k USD for the total Steward Compensation. Pay for past months will be sent immediately and the remaining will be streamed until june 30th.

Bounties for ENS Public Goods Request for Proposals program:

The bounties will be distributed in prizes of $1,000, $5,000, and $10,000 for projects that execute on basic implementation of goals elected by the stewards. These are set to be given directly to projects and not spent on operations. Any funds remaining at the end of the term will be either given back to the DAO or rolled in the Public Goods stewards budget for the next term.

Public Good grants for existing projects

These are grants to be given to existing projects, in prizes ranging from $1,000 to $10,000 that will be given to existing projects executing on goals defined by Stewards. The group might elect to give them directly using Gitcoin infrastructure. Any funds remaining at the end of the term will be either given back to the DAO or rolled in the Public Goods stewards budget for the next term.

Operational Budget

These will encompass tasks like reimbursements for expenses executed by stewards, payment for projects like a website, social media, or compensation for work done in partner integrations. All payments must be approved by at least 3 other stewards and will be executed in the most transparent manner the stewards can find.

• Approve
  • Approve with reservations
  • Disapprove

0 voters

2 Likes

Can you clarify how this will work? Will you request the corresponding amount in ETH or USDC as of when the voting opens?

Yes. Actions would be done with the equivalent price of cDAI. I would propose that streams be set with the initial price of cDAI but then are kept nominated as cDAI.

Will you be posting a version of the budget denominated in ETH or USDC that can be voted on in the next 24h when the voting window opens?

Hey! This looks good overall, my only note would be I’d recommend we consider removing (3) for the Q1/Q2 term, only because I know a lot of folks wanted to hold off on grants until we determine:

1. what grants spending looks like as a % of revenue
  2. what the domain of fundable public goods relevant to ENS looks like

I think as the research subgroup spins up and provides initial feedback we’ll be ready to answer (2) by Q2/Q3. Open to other thoughts on this but it’s worth noting this would also bring the budget in line with amounts being proposed by other working groups.

Thanks for putting all of this together :pray:

I’ve maintained it and we can simply make the decision of not giving any grants and the money rolls for next group

@nick.eth

Made requested changes

I understand from Alisha that the other stewards voted to remove it at the recent meeting, so I have omitted this section from the version I just posted to snapshot.

2 Likes

I am down to support this, but 50% overhead seems like a lot for a grants program.

For the bootstrapping phase, i guess it is ok. there are a lot of start up expenses and we aren’t giving out too much money, but in future rounds I will vote against funding this work stream if the overhead is over 20% of the budget requested, ideally it is less than 10%.

2 Likes