ENS DAO Delegate Applications

ENS name: timhc22.eth

My reasons for wanting to be a delegate:
Having been in the space for a long while, I have seen the importance of systems such as ens for growing the wider ecosystem. This became most apparent to me when I was helping run an NFT gallery and was explaining POAPs to people. I realised that, without an ens domain, claiming a POAP was a long winded, 4 step process, involving navigating backwards and forwards between phone apps, and copying long wallet addresses. With ens, The process was reduced to simply remembering your ens name, typing it in and clicking claim. This system is vital to the growth of the ethereum ecosystem, just as domain names have been vital to the growth of the internet (and maybe how whatthreewords will be vital to the metaverse). I have also contributed to the github libraries for ens (@timhc22), and would still like to see Typescript compatibility fully integrated into the libraries. I have also helped people to set up ENS domains for themselves, and understand the process of what needs to be changed and at what point when transferring a domain to someone else. I also began building this project: https://web3.homes/ with the hope of being able to help people who wanted to sign up, but lacked the technical capabilities (in exchange for an optional donation).

My view on each section of the proposed ENS Constitution 887

Name ownership shall not be infringed: Agree

Fees are primarily an incentive mechanism: Agree, but a lot of people don’t realise that the fees are there to prevent domain squatting.

Income funds ENS and other public goods: Agree

ENS Integrates with the global namespace: Agree

My web3 qualifications / skills: Web Developer, Community Manager

1 Like

[quote=“brantlymillegan, post:1, topic:815”]

ENS name: kishans.eth

My reasons for wanting to be a delegate: I want to contribute to a world that I would be proud of: one that is open, transparent, accessible, and welcoming to web3. IMHO, being a delegate requires a constant balancing act of open-mindedness, futurism, and clear/concise communication to coordinate the DAO.

My view on each section of the proposed ENS Constitution

• Name ownership shall not be infringed: Agree
  • Fees are primarily an incentive mechanism: Agree
  • Income funds ENS and other public goods: Agree
  • ENS Integrates with the global namespace: Agree

My web3 qualifications / skills:
I focus on DAO treasury management and business operations. I have company-building experience from 100K+ person technology companies and 10+ years of technology investing experience in tradfi that I am applying to web3 (but using first principles to avoid recreating what already exists). I want to maximize the best ideas from DAO members into actionable goals, metrics, and milestones to transparently build public goods.

ENS name: jbsloan.eth

I want to be a good shepherd of this critical service for web3. It is a way to give back to the community that has given so much to building something kind of wonderful.

• Name ownership is an absolute right: (Agree/Disagree/Comment)** Agree.
  • Registration fees exist as an incentive mechanism: (Agree/Disagree/Comment)** Agree.
  • Income funds ENS and other public goods: (Agree/Disagree/Comment)** IAgree.
  • ENS Integrates with the global namespace: (Agree/Disagree/Comment) Agree

My web3 qualifications / skills: I have been involved in the web3 space since 2016 and have lead teams building applications on Ethereum, Polygon Matic and Fabric. Have been an ENS evangelist and think it is critical to simplifying web3 services for the masses.

ENS name: nick.eth

My reasons for wanting to be a delegate: There are a number of truly outstanding delegate candidates who have put themselves forward, and I will be endorsing a few that I believe have diverse views and would make excellent delegates for the ENS DAO. If any of them appeal, I strongly recommend them to you, and your delegation would be well placed with them.

1. Alex van de Sande. Alex was an early ENS contributor who wrote the .eth registrar contract that was responsible for registration of names for the first two years of ENS’s existence. He is an outstanding engineer and UX person who cares deeply about building systems that are neutral, usable, and viable in the long-term.
  2. Brantly Millegan. Brantly is the Director of Operations at ENS, and is a large part of the reason ENS is the success it is today. Brantly’s vision for the future of ENS often exceeds my own, and he never hesitates to take big steps to ensure the success of the system we are building. If you want someone who has the highest goals for ENS and what it can do, Brantly is an excellent candidate for your delegation.
  3. Griff Green. Griff is an outstanding human being who cares deeply about public goods and doing the right thing. If you want to see ENS do good in the world, Griff is an excellent candidate for your delegation.
  4. Jordan Spence. Jordan’s work at MyCrypto has been essential to the entire Ethereum ecosystem; he is an excellent communicator and cares a great deal about building a viable community. If you want someone who will do their utmost to ensure ENS continues to have a friendly and welcoming community post-DAO, and who cares about sifting through the hype and noise to find the signal, Jordan is an excellent candidate for your delegation.
  5. Lefteris. Lefteris is a long-term ENS contributor who cares deeply about building decentralised systems. He is also a top-5 Gitcoin steward. If you want someone who will ensure ENS does not stray from its decentralised roots, Lefteris is an excellent candidate for your delegation.
  6. Fire Eyes DAO. We consulted with Fire Eyes on the launch of the ENS DAO, and they have an extensive history helping launch other DAOs, including GitCoin.
  7. Jeff Coleman. Jeff is an Ethereum and ENS OG who cares about building communities that are robust and stay true to their founding principles. He is already in the process of drafting a preamble for the constitution. If you care about ensuring the longevity of ENS’s goals and community, Jeff is an excellent candidate for your delegation.

This is not an exhaustive list; there are many other outstanding delegates I could not mention here.

Otherwise, I welcome your delegation, and will use it with care, helping ensure ENS continues to fulfil my vision of a decentralised public good that improves the user-experience of the crypto space for everyone.

I created ENS because naming is a basic component of internet infrastructure that is absolutely crucial to building an ecosystem that is user-friendly and secure. Just as no end-user has to see or type an IP address, nobody should have to do that with cryptocurrency addresses, or IPFS content hashes.

It’s crucial that a global naming system be neutral, and run as a public good for everyone’s benefit. My philosophy borrows extensively from the goals and views of the people who built the early internet; I view organisations such as the IETF as worthy targets to emulate.

I also strongly believe that to build a viable naming service requires prioritising use over speculation. The Internet had the luxury of growing up slowly, meaning they did not have to deal with rampant speculation and manipulation on day 1. We have no such luxury, and so must be careful to build a system that works best for those who want to put it to its intended use - not just as a purely speculative vehicle. Ultimately this serves everyone better; other attempts at distributed naming have demonstrated that rampant speculation can strangle an otherwise promising service in its crib.

I believe ENS is still only at the beginning of its journey. With your support - for me or for any of the other first-class candidates who have put themselves forward - we can ensure that it develops to its full potential.

As the primary author of the constitution, I naturally agree on all points!

My web3 qualifications / skills: I founded ENS and spent the past 5 years building it into what it is today, in collaboration with an outstanding team of people. I have extensive experience as a software engineer, including 6 years’ tenure at Google in SRE, Software Engineer, and Developer Advocacy roles, and prior to starting ENS I worked at the Ethereum Foundation as a core developer on geth. I am also a former EIP editor, and as part of my work there, reformed the EIP process to streamline it and make it more usable, and built the EIP site (eips.ethereum.org) for indexing and displaying EIPs.

5 Likes

**ENS name:thirdculturekid.eth

**My reasons for wanting to be a delegate: I think of ENS as a great project and it is here to stay, the possibilities of it are endless with the future of crypto, I see it as essential with the growth & would love to be a part of it from the star.

• ENS Integrates with the global namespace:Agree

**My web3 qualifications/skills: I would consider myself a newbie to be honest.

1 Like

ENS name: Erod.ETH

My reasons for wanting to be a delegate: I’m a big believer of descentralization, and bringing equal opportunity to the less privileged is my mission. And ENS can solve for that, helping the unbanked and the underbanked to thrive in the Web 3.0 era, and removing all all friction empowering individuals to be their own bank and host their own identity in a fair system. I’m a big believer that ENS could solve this now and many things yet to be discovered. I can also help represent all my Hispanic people

My view on each section of the [proposed ENS Constitution ](Proposed ENS Constitution 19)

• Name ownership is an absolute right: (Agree/Disagree/Comment)- Agree
  • Registration fees exist as an incentive mechanism: (Agree/Disagree/Comment)- Agree
  • Income funds ENS and other public goods: (Agree/Disagree/Comment)- Agree
  • ENS Integrates with the global namespace: (Agree/Disagree/Comment) - Agree

My web3 qualifications / skills: I’m an Industrial engineer with background in Finance. I understand NFTs as a collector and creator, I have built communities in Web 3.0 (discord, DCL) and also in Web 2.0 with different ventures. I have spent the last 3 years experimenting with De-Fi and DCL. I have been an advocate of ENS for the past five months, bought around 200 ENS domains and in the past three months I’ve been giving most of those always to friends and ppl I want to connect with… I’m good on bringing people together and getting the best out of all. I also have over 15 yrs of experience on Traditional Finance and Digital Innovation bringing different lending products to market

ENS name: swapup.eth

My reasons for wanting to be a delegate: Consultant by day, Digital Asset enthusiast by life, I believe I can bring great ideas to the project and your delegation tokens would be used for valuable enhancements to benefit the greater community.

My view on each section of the proposed ENS Constitution 887

Fees are primarily an incentive mechanism: Agree

Income funds ENS and other public goods: Comment - Along with building the ENS domain business, I believe we should use these funds to build the owners of these eth domains. I myself plan on turning min into a business and would love a crowd funding opportunity to be available for like efforts using the funds collected from the fees.

My web3 qualifications / skills: I am a consultant who deals with blockchain implementation and product development in the digital asset space. I have also helped with launching NFT’s and digital tokens. I would like to use my expertise and business resources to enhance ens domains because I believe they are the future for wallet addresses. Each client I set up with a wallet, I push them to register an ENS domain due to the ease of use of it and the potential these domains have for each person.

ENS name: nonfungibletv.eth

My reasons for wanting to be a delegate: I believe that ENS domains are the future of virtual identity and I want to dedicate my time, effort and resources to making this the best possible future.

• Name ownership shall not be infringed: (Agree/Disagree/Comment) Agree
  • Fees are primarily an incentive mechanism: (Agree/Disagree/Comment) Agree
  • Income funds ENS and other public goods: (Agree/Disagree/Comment) Agree. Everyone deserves an ENS domain and virtual identity. Those who are unable to afford it should have access to a fund.
  • ENS Integrates with the global namespace: (Agree/Disagree/Comment) Agree

My web3 qualifications / skills: I have a year’s worth of experience in participating in web3 project and communities. I’ve built a strong network of engineers, creatives, artists and entrepreneurs. I have an engineering background with 6 years of technology consulting experience.

ENS name: Enryt.eth

My web3 qualifications / skills: Cryptoart marketing

1 Like

ENS Name: xburke.eth

My reasons for wanting to be a delegate: I fundamentally believe in the ENS objectives and proposed rules and governance as set forth in the Proposed ENS Constitution. I believe in web3, but I worry that time is short for it to evolve in a free and fair manner. As I note below, I am not a technician. I am not an artist. I am not an investor. I come to this humbly and with a lot to learn, but I believe I can add a diversity of experience, judgment, and wisdom.

Fees are primarily an incentive mechanism: Agree
Income funds ENS and other public goods: Agree

My web3 qualifications / skills: Unlike many proposed delegates, I am not a technician. I do not have a formidable understanding of the web3 ecosystem. I am not well-known on crypto-twitter. However, I do have 20 years of securities and private fund legal experience, both in private practice and as general counsel to a public company. I understand governance and have experience resolving numerous governance-related disputes and conflicts.

ENS name:
coinbase.eth

This is an application representing Coinbase, Inc. as an organization.

Coinbase’s mission is to increase economic freedom in the world. We aspire to offer a trusted and easy-to-use platform for accessing the crypto ecosystem, and to help people around the world discover and begin their crypto journeys.

To increase economic freedom, the crypto ecosystem must flourish. While crypto is rapidly evolving towards this future, it’s also fragmented. Accessibility and trust is a challenge, and this is exacerbated by the lack of a consistent identity standard. The ecosystem needs a robust and decentralized identity standard, and we believe that Ethereum and ENS can address this need.

Coinbase is the single largest employer of crypto talent in the world. We’ve helped launch and scale numerous protocols, including USDC, and we’ll bring our deep collective expertise to the table with the goal of helping ENS and the crypto ecosystem flourish.

My view on each section of the proposed ENS Constitution 644:

• Name ownership is an absolute right: Agree
  • Registration fees exist as an incentive mechanism: Agree

Coinbase has some of the strongest crypto talent in the world across engineering, design, cryptography, product, and more. Our world-class identity team is focused on defining and building leading identity standards for the benefit of the broader crypto ecosystem.

10 Likes

ENS name: markmcintosh.eth

My reasons for wanting to be a delegate: Governance will make or break this whole show. Decentralized governance has little precedent. The discussion about issuing tokens based on wallet versus domains showed how difficult it is to find consensus. I can help.

My view on each section of the proposed ENS Constitution 902

Fees are primarily an incentive mechanism: Agree. But primarily implies there are other reasons so we need to be consistent and specific.

Income funds ENS and other public goods: Agree.

ENS Integrates with the global namespace: Agree.

My web3 qualifications / skills: This world needs some logic, contract and governance experience. I have a law degree and a license. I own some NFTs and have used Alchemy and Buildspace to deploy smart contracts (Ropsten and Rinkeby testnets only). Web3 also needs some emotional intelligence and empathy and I have loads of those.

ENS name:
protocolreview.eth

We love ENS! The purpose of our DAO is to make protocols more accessible. We believe that with our expertise we are capable of assessing the ramification and risks of updates to the ENS protocol.

My view on each section of the proposed ENS Constitution 798

Name ownership is an absolute right: (Agree/Disagree/Comment):
Agree

Registration fees exist as an incentive mechanism: (Agree/Disagree/Comment):
Agree

Income funds ENS and other public goods: (Agree/Disagree/Comment):
Agree

ENS Integrates with the global namespace: (Agree/Disagree/Comment):
Agree

Protocol Review DAO is a group of experienced web3 engineers, founders and builders. Members of our DAO have previously worked on improvement proposals to ENS (eip-2544). Read more about our DAOs launch and purpose here.

1 Like

ENS name: irreverent.eth

My reasons for wanting to be a delegate: For a project to succeed, support from its community is key. In an ideal world, everyone would self-delegate and vote in accordance to their own views for every proposed constitution, but this often isn’t the case. The reason that I want to be a delegate is to keep those who for whatever reason may not self-delegate informed and in the loop so that ultimately their votes really do represent their own views (or they revert to self-delegation or find someone else).

1. Name ownership shall not be infringed: Agree, as stated in the proposal, for fairness.

2. Fees are primarily an incentive mechanism: Disagree. I believe that the fee’s only purpose is to provide enough revenue to the DAO to fund ongoing development and improvement of ENS. I also believe that a fee high enough for people to prevent speculative registrations will make ENS inaccessible for some others.

3. Income funds ENS and other public goods: Disagree. ENS governance should only use the funds to support projects that will further the development and improvements of the ENS system.

4. ENS Integrates with the global namespace: Agree.

I am currently working on a multichain + multiwallet tool as a dev lead.

1 Like

ENS name:
protocolreview.eth

We love ENS! The purpose of our DAO is to make protocols more accessible. We believe that with our expertise we are capable of assessing the ramification and risks of updates to the ENS protocol.

My view on each section of the proposed ENS Constitution 798

Name ownership is an absolute right: (Agree/Disagree/Comment):
Agree

Registration fees exist as an incentive mechanism: (Agree/Disagree/Comment):
Agree

Income funds ENS and other public goods: (Agree/Disagree/Comment):
Agree

ENS Integrates with the global namespace: (Agree/Disagree/Comment):
Agree

Protocol Review DAO is a group of experienced web3 engineers, founders and builders. Members of our DAO have previously worked on improvement proposals to ENS (eip-2544). Read more about our DAOs launch and purpose here.

I want to have my voice here to build a fair and balance community that will benefit all the domains owners.

My view on each section of the [proposed ENS Constitution ]

• Name ownership shall not be infringed: (Agree)
  • Fees are primarily an incentive mechanism: (Agree)
  • Income funds ENS and other public goods: (Agree)
  • ENS Integrates with the global namespace: (Agree)

I do not have a strong skill set of web3. But I had been a marketing management role for the past 20 years.

1 Like

ENS name: Jeff.eth

My reasons for wanting to be a delegate: Longtime ENS user and advocate. Feel that I will do a good job of protecting the less tangible but still valuable parts of the ENS community’s culture.

• Name ownership shall not be infringed: (Agree/Disagree/Comment)

Being completely frank, this provision is poorly worded and will definitely result in conflict/disagreement at some point (it already has if you poke around actually). But I think the underlying principles motivating this provision are promising, if we can articulate them better.

First, for ENS names to be useful at all the behaviour and usability of an ENS name has to be predictable and we have to have a consensus about that behaviour that has a high degree of legitimacy and legibility. For better or worse, the existing expectation of many people in the Ethereum ecosystem is that once you designate a single private key (or set of private keys) to control a record, that key has to sign off on any future changes to the record. If you lose the key, too bad. It’s seen as a “harsh but fair” approach. But even this consensus has a lot of caveats. Mostly these caveats are about ways that a community, smart contract architect, etc. sets the expectations of the users up front. In the case of ENS names, take expiry. Expiry has been part of the ENS plan from the beginning, and because this has been communicated clearly there is a shared expectation and consensus on the part of most ENS users that this is an acceptable infringement on their “absolute right” of ownership. Or, what happens when there is a bug in the auction process? Maybe some auctions have to be restarted, which is a sort of infringement. But not doing so would infringe on other types of ownership. So I get what this point is trying to say but at the least the word “absolute” is a poor fit here.

Another principle that definitely seems to be intended by this provision is to protect and maintain the credible neutrality of the ENS infrastructure itself. ENS already has a very wide userbase and set of stakeholders, and this credible neutrality is a key part of how all these different users, with their many (and sometimes conflicting) goals/needs can all agree to share one ENS system with its associated standards, tooling, integrations, and so on. But there is no such thing (or no such useful thing) as absolute neutrality. Even the credible neutrality of a system like ENS must of necessity embed some set of actual values to keep ENS worth anything at all to people. These values include things like “what is a bug?” or “what constitutes a DoS attack?” and so on. These values are mostly implicit in communities like this one, but they certainly exist. Not all of these values can be “enforced” but they must all “inform” certain decisions. A genuinely “true neutral” system is not actually useful. You have to be good to everyone, not just neutral too them. And determining what that means hopefully involves some widely shared social consensus on what “good neutral” means, including how it changes in the light of new information (like changes in the Ethereum platform itself, or new technological capabilities that become available).

And finally, it is a technical fact, regardless of how the ENS registrar etc. are designed, that the ENS system is socially forkable. There are obvious and significant advantages to not forking the ENS system, not least of which is the degree to which many technical integrations with ENS have failed to correctly plan for this possibility. But what we all collectively decide the ENS system is will have an enormous effect on the future usage and usefulness of any particular smart contract that forms a part of it. These means that we need to make a deliberate and ongoing effort to maintain positive and ongoing relationships between as many present and future stakeholders as possible. Doing this well requires continuous communication around how ENS names are changing, problems that users are encountering, and so on. Trust and goodwill are critical elements of a technical consensus. You can’t even conceive of an idea of “absolute ownership” of ENS name which would ignore these facts.

In summary, the thing I would want to protect as a delegate is the predictability, legitimacy, and legibility of the consensus around how ENS names work; the good and credible neutrality of the ENS architecture and system in how users and stakeholders are treated; and the positive social trust and goodwill which exists among the present and future set of ENS stakeholders. And if someone can improve the phrasing of this section to better capture that, I’d happily vote for that version of the text. If not, that’s what I take this text to be trying to say, if somewhat poorly.

• Fees are primarily an incentive mechanism: (Agree/Disagree/Comment)

This is clearly the existing social consensus around the ENS architecture. ENS is first and foremost a public service, NOT a for profit enterprise. Any divergence from this plan would be substantial: very large issues would have to be at stake to ever consider changing this part of ENS in my view.

• Income funds ENS and other public goods: (Agree/Disagree/Comment)

Again, in broad terms I think this is the existing consensus of what current and future funds are intended for. Developing and supporting a healthy ENS ecosystem first, and then secondarily supporting the broader social and technical ecosystem on which the health of ENS also depends.

• ENS Integrates with the global namespace: (Agree/Disagree/Comment)

The relationship of ENS with global namespaces like DNS is also fairly well established, if incompletely specified in a couple of cases. But again the way of relating to and integrating DNS has been well established and public for some time, so it would take a very substantial issue being at stake for this general viewpoint to be seriously altered, in my view (example: a major change in how DNS is actually used worldwide).

Incorrigible amateur and interferer in more serious technical engineering. Code literate, security aware, and familiar with most parts of the Ethereum and blockchain ecosystem, but probably not the person you want handwriting a critical bugfix under time pressure for real users. More knowledgeable (albeit still not guaranteed to be useful) in the research department. A long track record of reviewing and analysing web3/Ethereum projects, typically at the design/conceptual/architectural level, though sometimes right down to the code. Knowledgeable enough to be dangerous about most technical things :slight_smile: Bitcoin since 2010 and Ethereum since before crowdsale. Usually seen on twitter at https://twitter.com/technocrypto/

4 Likes

ENS name: beep.eth

My reasons for wanting to be a delegate: I’m a freelancer, deep into crypto rabbit hole, gamer and community manager. I have worked with many projects as freelance CM. Currently I’m working as CM with Stader Labs i.e. liquid staking platform for Luna(currently) backed by Terraform Labs and Coinbase. I have deep desire and love for crypto, not just for money but people. You can meet really amazing folks and be friends with them regardless of their age, race or religion and that what crypto is all about, all coz you share the same interest i.e. crypto.

• Name ownership is an absolute right: (Agree/Disagree/Comment)** Agree.
  • Registration fees exist as an incentive mechanism: (Agree/Disagree/Comment)** Agree.
  • Income funds ENS and other public goods: (Agree/Disagree/Comment)** I totally Agree.
  • ENS Integrates with the global namespace: (Agree/Disagree/Comment) I agree, ENS should be the standard on the Global Namespace in the future.

My web3 qualifications / skills: Community management, marketing and excellent communicator

ENS name: metaphor.xyz

At Metaphor, we have experience building products on top of the ENS protocol, and believe it is a foundational block providing identity to the web3 ecosystem. We want to provide a voice in the governance community for the protocol for initiatives that improve user experience and make it easier for users and developers alike to use and build on top of ENS.

• Income funds ENS and other public goods: Agree, and we think those other public goods should be geared toward improving web3 identity to provide wider access to the ecosystem for a larger class of users.
  • ENS Integrates with the global namespace: Agree, for the near term. We do think it’s worthwhile to discuss what happens when web3 has enough influence such that DNS is no longer significantly more embedded than a protocol like ENS, and how we can provide a wider namespace at that point without conflicting with DNS necessarily.

Metaphor is a company/community (seeking to gradually become a DAO) that is making it crazy easy to join and participate in DAOs, with the idea that DAOs will be how the grand majority of users onboard into the web3 ecosystem as a whole.

Our product portfolio includes davatar, the first app to make it easy to set your ENS avatar in a few clicks, with gas-less updates. We also, as part of that launch, released @davatar/react: the first helper library for React to implement the full ENS avatar spec. It makes it really easy for developers to add ENS avatars to their apps, and is used by apps such as Uniswap.

We have experience not only building products that are easy for any user to use in web3, but specifically on top of ENS. As such, we know very well the pain points that developers and users face when interacting with the ENS ecosystem, and have a lot of ideas on how we can improve them.

If you delegate to us, we will throw our weight and priority behind proposals and projects that we believe will improve the usability of ENS with respect to developers and users, with the aim that ENS should become the username for the new web.

1 Like

ENS name: degentogetherstrong.eth

My reasons for wanting to be a delegate: To help support the community and drive ENS forward. I love ENS

• Name ownership is an absolute right: Agree
  • Registration fees exist as an incentive mechanism: Agree, but more like a disincentive to prevent users from simply sitting on names without using them.

My web3 qualifications / skills: Avid cryptocurrency researcher and trader