ENS DAO Delegate Applications

ENS name:
protocolreview.eth

My reasons for wanting to be a delegate:
We love ENS! The purpose of our DAO is to make protocols more accessible. We believe that with our expertise we are capable of assessing the ramification and risks of updates to the ENS protocol.

My view on each section of the proposed ENS Constitution 798

Name ownership is an absolute right: (Agree/Disagree/Comment):
Agree

Registration fees exist as an incentive mechanism: (Agree/Disagree/Comment):
Agree

Income funds ENS and other public goods: (Agree/Disagree/Comment):
Agree

ENS Integrates with the global namespace: (Agree/Disagree/Comment):
Agree

My web3 qualifications / skills:
Protocol Review DAO is a group of experienced web3 engineers, founders and builders. Members of our DAO have previously worked on improvement proposals to ENS (eip-2544). Read more about our DAOs launch and purpose here.

1 Like

ENS name: irreverent.eth

My reasons for wanting to be a delegate: For a project to succeed, support from its community is key. In an ideal world, everyone would self-delegate and vote in accordance to their own views for every proposed constitution, but this often isnā€™t the case. The reason that I want to be a delegate is to keep those who for whatever reason may not self-delegate informed and in the loop so that ultimately their votes really do represent their own views (or they revert to self-delegation or find someone else).

My view on each section of the proposed ENS Constitution

1. Name ownership shall not be infringed: Agree, as stated in the proposal, for fairness.

2. Fees are primarily an incentive mechanism: Disagree. I believe that the feeā€™s only purpose is to provide enough revenue to the DAO to fund ongoing development and improvement of ENS. I also believe that a fee high enough for people to prevent speculative registrations will make ENS inaccessible for some others.

3. Income funds ENS and other public goods: Disagree. ENS governance should only use the funds to support projects that will further the development and improvements of the ENS system.

4. ENS Integrates with the global namespace: Agree.

I am currently working on a multichain + multiwallet tool as a dev lead.

1 Like

ENS name:
protocolreview.eth

We love ENS! The purpose of our DAO is to make protocols more accessible. We believe that with our expertise we are capable of assessing the ramification and risks of updates to the ENS protocol.

Name ownership is an absolute right: (Agree/Disagree/Comment):
Agree

Registration fees exist as an incentive mechanism: (Agree/Disagree/Comment):
Agree

Income funds ENS and other public goods: (Agree/Disagree/Comment):
Agree

ENS Integrates with the global namespace: (Agree/Disagree/Comment):
Agree

Protocol Review DAO is a group of experienced web3 engineers, founders and builders. Members of our DAO have previously worked on improvement proposals to ENS (eip-2544). Read more about our DAOs launch and purpose here.

I want to have my voice here to build a fair and balance community that will benefit all the domains owners.

My view on each section of the [proposed ENS Constitution ]

• Name ownership shall not be infringed: (Agree)
  • Fees are primarily an incentive mechanism: (Agree)
  • Income funds ENS and other public goods: (Agree)
  • ENS Integrates with the global namespace: (Agree)

I do not have a strong skill set of web3. But I had been a marketing management role for the past 20 years.

1 Like

ENS name: Jeff.eth

My reasons for wanting to be a delegate: Longtime ENS user and advocate. Feel that I will do a good job of protecting the less tangible but still valuable parts of the ENS communityā€™s culture.

• Name ownership shall not be infringed: (Agree/Disagree/Comment)

Being completely frank, this provision is poorly worded and will definitely result in conflict/disagreement at some point (it already has if you poke around actually). But I think the underlying principles motivating this provision are promising, if we can articulate them better.

First, for ENS names to be useful at all the behaviour and usability of an ENS name has to be predictable and we have to have a consensus about that behaviour that has a high degree of legitimacy and legibility. For better or worse, the existing expectation of many people in the Ethereum ecosystem is that once you designate a single private key (or set of private keys) to control a record, that key has to sign off on any future changes to the record. If you lose the key, too bad. Itā€™s seen as a ā€œharsh but fairā€ approach. But even this consensus has a lot of caveats. Mostly these caveats are about ways that a community, smart contract architect, etc. sets the expectations of the users up front. In the case of ENS names, take expiry. Expiry has been part of the ENS plan from the beginning, and because this has been communicated clearly there is a shared expectation and consensus on the part of most ENS users that this is an acceptable infringement on their ā€œabsolute rightā€ of ownership. Or, what happens when there is a bug in the auction process? Maybe some auctions have to be restarted, which is a sort of infringement. But not doing so would infringe on other types of ownership. So I get what this point is trying to say but at the least the word ā€œabsoluteā€ is a poor fit here.

Another principle that definitely seems to be intended by this provision is to protect and maintain the credible neutrality of the ENS infrastructure itself. ENS already has a very wide userbase and set of stakeholders, and this credible neutrality is a key part of how all these different users, with their many (and sometimes conflicting) goals/needs can all agree to share one ENS system with its associated standards, tooling, integrations, and so on. But there is no such thing (or no such useful thing) as absolute neutrality. Even the credible neutrality of a system like ENS must of necessity embed some set of actual values to keep ENS worth anything at all to people. These values include things like ā€œwhat is a bug?ā€ or ā€œwhat constitutes a DoS attack?ā€ and so on. These values are mostly implicit in communities like this one, but they certainly exist. Not all of these values can be ā€œenforcedā€ but they must all ā€œinformā€ certain decisions. A genuinely ā€œtrue neutralā€ system is not actually useful. You have to be good to everyone, not just neutral too them. And determining what that means hopefully involves some widely shared social consensus on what ā€œgood neutralā€ means, including how it changes in the light of new information (like changes in the Ethereum platform itself, or new technological capabilities that become available).

And finally, it is a technical fact, regardless of how the ENS registrar etc. are designed, that the ENS system is socially forkable. There are obvious and significant advantages to not forking the ENS system, not least of which is the degree to which many technical integrations with ENS have failed to correctly plan for this possibility. But what we all collectively decide the ENS system is will have an enormous effect on the future usage and usefulness of any particular smart contract that forms a part of it. These means that we need to make a deliberate and ongoing effort to maintain positive and ongoing relationships between as many present and future stakeholders as possible. Doing this well requires continuous communication around how ENS names are changing, problems that users are encountering, and so on. Trust and goodwill are critical elements of a technical consensus. You canā€™t even conceive of an idea of ā€œabsolute ownershipā€ of ENS name which would ignore these facts.

In summary, the thing I would want to protect as a delegate is the predictability, legitimacy, and legibility of the consensus around how ENS names work; the good and credible neutrality of the ENS architecture and system in how users and stakeholders are treated; and the positive social trust and goodwill which exists among the present and future set of ENS stakeholders. And if someone can improve the phrasing of this section to better capture that, Iā€™d happily vote for that version of the text. If not, thatā€™s what I take this text to be trying to say, if somewhat poorly.

• Fees are primarily an incentive mechanism: (Agree/Disagree/Comment)

This is clearly the existing social consensus around the ENS architecture. ENS is first and foremost a public service, NOT a for profit enterprise. Any divergence from this plan would be substantial: very large issues would have to be at stake to ever consider changing this part of ENS in my view.

• Income funds ENS and other public goods: (Agree/Disagree/Comment)

Again, in broad terms I think this is the existing consensus of what current and future funds are intended for. Developing and supporting a healthy ENS ecosystem first, and then secondarily supporting the broader social and technical ecosystem on which the health of ENS also depends.

• ENS Integrates with the global namespace: (Agree/Disagree/Comment)

The relationship of ENS with global namespaces like DNS is also fairly well established, if incompletely specified in a couple of cases. But again the way of relating to and integrating DNS has been well established and public for some time, so it would take a very substantial issue being at stake for this general viewpoint to be seriously altered, in my view (example: a major change in how DNS is actually used worldwide).

Incorrigible amateur and interferer in more serious technical engineering. Code literate, security aware, and familiar with most parts of the Ethereum and blockchain ecosystem, but probably not the person you want handwriting a critical bugfix under time pressure for real users. More knowledgeable (albeit still not guaranteed to be useful) in the research department. A long track record of reviewing and analysing web3/Ethereum projects, typically at the design/conceptual/architectural level, though sometimes right down to the code. Knowledgeable enough to be dangerous about most technical things :slight_smile: Bitcoin since 2010 and Ethereum since before crowdsale. Usually seen on twitter at https://twitter.com/technocrypto/

4 Likes

ENS name: beep.eth

My reasons for wanting to be a delegate: Iā€™m a freelancer, deep into crypto rabbit hole, gamer and community manager. I have worked with many projects as freelance CM. Currently Iā€™m working as CM with Stader Labs i.e. liquid staking platform for Luna(currently) backed by Terraform Labs and Coinbase. I have deep desire and love for crypto, not just for money but people. You can meet really amazing folks and be friends with them regardless of their age, race or religion and that what crypto is all about, all coz you share the same interest i.e. crypto.

• Name ownership is an absolute right: (Agree/Disagree/Comment)** Agree.
  • Registration fees exist as an incentive mechanism: (Agree/Disagree/Comment)** Agree.
  • Income funds ENS and other public goods: (Agree/Disagree/Comment)** I totally Agree.
  • ENS Integrates with the global namespace: (Agree/Disagree/Comment) I agree, ENS should be the standard on the Global Namespace in the future.

My web3 qualifications / skills: Community management, marketing and excellent communicator

ENS name: metaphor.xyz

At Metaphor, we have experience building products on top of the ENS protocol, and believe it is a foundational block providing identity to the web3 ecosystem. We want to provide a voice in the governance community for the protocol for initiatives that improve user experience and make it easier for users and developers alike to use and build on top of ENS.

• Name ownership shall not be infringed: Agree
  • Fees are primarily an incentive mechanism: Agree
  • Income funds ENS and other public goods: Agree, and we think those other public goods should be geared toward improving web3 identity to provide wider access to the ecosystem for a larger class of users.
  • ENS Integrates with the global namespace: Agree, for the near term. We do think itā€™s worthwhile to discuss what happens when web3 has enough influence such that DNS is no longer significantly more embedded than a protocol like ENS, and how we can provide a wider namespace at that point without conflicting with DNS necessarily.

Metaphor is a company/community (seeking to gradually become a DAO) that is making it crazy easy to join and participate in DAOs, with the idea that DAOs will be how the grand majority of users onboard into the web3 ecosystem as a whole.

Our product portfolio includes davatar, the first app to make it easy to set your ENS avatar in a few clicks, with gas-less updates. We also, as part of that launch, released @davatar/react: the first helper library for React to implement the full ENS avatar spec. It makes it really easy for developers to add ENS avatars to their apps, and is used by apps such as Uniswap.

We have experience not only building products that are easy for any user to use in web3, but specifically on top of ENS. As such, we know very well the pain points that developers and users face when interacting with the ENS ecosystem, and have a lot of ideas on how we can improve them.

If you delegate to us, we will throw our weight and priority behind proposals and projects that we believe will improve the usability of ENS with respect to developers and users, with the aim that ENS should become the username for the new web.

1 Like

ENS name: degentogetherstrong.eth

My reasons for wanting to be a delegate: To help support the community and drive ENS forward. I love ENS

• Name ownership is an absolute right: Agree
  • Registration fees exist as an incentive mechanism: Agree, but more like a disincentive to prevent users from simply sitting on names without using them.
  • Income funds ENS and other public goods: Agree
  • ENS Integrates with the global namespace: Agree

My web3 qualifications / skills: Avid cryptocurrency researcher and trader

ENS name: duckbill.eth

My reasons for wanting to be a delegate: I enjoy ENS. I wanna become one of the families in the big community and help the drive ENS up forward. I love ENS

• Registration fees exist as an incentive mechanism: Agree, but I think it should not be much.

My web3 qualifications / skills: a trader and also a df player/ enthusiast.

ENS name: wrix.eth

My reasons for wanting to be a delegate:The time to stand with and for something of this nature is now. As each moment passes our freedoms and privacy is being stripped away. I am aware, that many object to the severity of my language; but is there not cause for severity? I vow to be as harsh as truth, and as uncompromising as justice. On this subject, I do not wish to think, or speak, or write, with moderation. I am in earnest, I will not excuse, I will not retreat a single inch. (And WE WILL BE HEARD)

My web3 qualifications / skills: Active participation in the growth and betterment of the ethereum ecosystem. Coding, Art, Research

ENS name: luyang.eth

My reasons for wanting to be a delegate: I am optimistic about the development of ENS in the field of identity layer in the web3 world, I think it is indispensable

My web3 qualifications / skills: I have about ten years of experience in basic software development, embrace the Linux Foundation. And have a good understanding and practical project development experience in the web3 field.

ENS name: ensia.eth / ensia.io

My reasons for wanting to be a delegate: I think I have the motivation to be an ENS Delegator, also Iā€™m really into ethereum/web3 technology in general and I think I can be a delegate and represent the Mongolian Speaking Community. I want to be a part of this next evolution of the web, the decentralized web.

• Registration fees exist as an incentive mechanism: Agree

My web3 qualifications/skills:
I am a solidity developer and have been involved with an NFT project which integrated ENS and I want to be a part of this next evolution of the web, the decentralized web.

ENS name: igna.eth

My reasons for wanting to be a delegate: Being a long time proponent of crypto in general, several times I was faced with wanting to be able to vote regarding the direction of different projects, as frustrating as it was, I was forced to accept the outcome without being able to vote, and solely participate by giving my opinion in different forums.
I see this as a unique opportunity to actively participate on a project that I am hugely supportive of.
I believe in freedom and borderless access to financial systems. This is a type of scientific innovation that has the potential to reduce the wealth gap and allow humanity to keep growing with strong values and ethical standards by continuing the revolution that was started by the internet.

My web3 qualifications / skills: I am a Staff Software Engineer at an important crypto forward company. Working on projects directly or indirectly related to crypto in general.

ENS name:
stickykeys.eth

I want to be able to advocate for underrepresented and underestimated communities who can bring a ton of value to ENS and general web3 naming standards/decision making, but are met with higher barriers than most when it comes to being able to contribute in these processes.

• Name ownership shall not be infringed: Agree 100%
  • Income funds ENS and other public goods: Agreeā€“min amount to ENS and max amount to other public goods
  • ENS Integrates with the global namespace: Agreeā€“decentralization being mission critical

I am a core developer for the Ceramic Protocol being led by 3Box Labs. I am a p2p node operator (IPFS, Geth) and make contributions to open source p2p infrastructure. I run a blockchain education program called Bloom which brings women and genderqueer folks from web2 into web3 and I am a mentor in Gitcoin Kernel helping people grow in the space. My strengths are bringing new ideas to the table, challenging assumptions, helping groups escape decision paralysis, and making progress when knowledge/resources are limited.

ENS name: databento.eth

**My reasons for wanting to be a delegate: It is a best way to explore the possibilities of ENS **

My web3 qualifications / skills: Read eth contracts

My reasons for wanting to be a delegate:I would love to contribute to the healthy growth of this project. My knowledge might be of use for the DAO
Proposed ENS Constitution:
Agree
Agree
Agree
Agree
My web3 qualifications/skills:
I have been learning and using some of the web3 platforms. I have enough knowledge to cross bridges back and forth. I have been in the Crypto space since 2015, and since then I have expanded my knowledge.

ENS name: dusixin.eth

My reasons for wanting to be a delegate:Not only am I a huge believer in the project, but Iā€™m spreading it on my network and on sites like Twitter. I feel that ENS is and will be the focal point of the massive metacosmic innovation that is coming. The true potential of the project cannot even be imagined until the ecosystem is properly mature. I want to help the program reach the level of adoption it deserves.

My view on each section of the proposed ENS Constitution **

Name ownership shall not be infringed: Agree
Fees are primarily an incentive mechanism: Agree
Income funds ENS and other public goods: Agree
ENS Integrates with the global namespace: Agree

My web3 qualifications / skills:For the past 9 years, I have been working on Web 2.0 Privacy / Security (FAANGā€™s startup), And a firm believer in the advancement of privacy / security in the Web3 space, I am not only a great believer in this project, but also spreading it on my web and on sites like Twitter. I feel that ENS is and will be the focal point of the massive metacosmic innovation that is coming. The true potential of the project cannot even be imagined until the ecosystem is properly mature. I want to help the program reach the level of adoption it deserves.

ENS name: monetsupply.eth

• I love ENS and am a longtime user and enthusiast
  • Iā€™m passionate about protecting and extending the impact of web3 identity (as an anon, I use ENS as the central hub connecting my various identity elements)
  • I vote consistently (check out my Tally profile for proof :smiley: )
  • Iā€™d like to contribute to ENS governance discussion on treasury management

• Name ownership shall not be infringed: Agree, with some qualifications.

ENS may need to make changes to the registration system to maintain an orderly/useful namespace - for example introducing a Harberger tax or other mechanism to allow for evicting squatters. Any retroactive changes to registration terms should be applied fairly and uniformly, and should only be taken if there is broad support of ENS governance and name owners.

• Active voter / delegate in several protocols: Maker, Compound, Uniswap, Gitcoin, Aave, etc
  • Work on risk management for MakerDAO and Aave communities
  • Work with Tally and curate protocol governance news
  • Experience getting proposals and initiatives through DAO governance

ENS name: Mawuko.eth

My reasons for wanting to be a delegate: I have a strong resolve for the potential of blockchain-based domain tech in offering identity solutions in a very decentralised way. ENS has been a prime candidate to usher in such potential so contributing to itā€™s growth, maintenance, and expansion via governance by being a community delegate is a no-brainer and good first step.

Views on each section of the proposed ENS Constitution

*Name ownership shall not be infringed: Agree

My web3 qualifications / skills: Familiar with Solidity and the web3.js stack. Onboarded individuals and eventual communities into the NFT space. Held talks and panels at events such as NFT NYC. Familiar and actively build with non-EVM technologies and non-blockchain web3 solutions as well such Urbit.

ENS name: coinlog.eth

Protocols that are fully decentralized are beautiful. They are automatic, permissionless, immutable, and cannot be stopped by any entity. Fully decentralized protocols live to give you the best service, not to make money.

I would really love to contribute to the security, governance, and growth of ENS. The ethereum name service will join the list of platforms that have taken off their training wheels and become fully and truly decentralized.

The blockchain is permissionless, anyone is able to register and manage ENS. Creating a proposal against that would be against the pillars of decentralization.

Having fees as a way to prevent domain hoarding is a very nice idea. It allows small fish (like me) register a name affordably while giving risk to domain dealers who own thousands of names. A proposal that breaks the permissionless quality of blockchains should never pass.

ENS income funding the future of web3 is an amazing thing. I remember reading a medium article on ENS a couple months ago and thinking on how great using the funds from ENS to provide grants to web3. If my comment long ago was the inspiration for ENS DAO, I would be thrilled!

ENS becoming the standard for domain names is the end goal for the platform. The domain industry becoming fully decentralized would be a beautiful thing to see. People using blockchain technology without even knowing!

My web3 qualifications / skills: I like coding smart contracts for fun, simple games that can be played on the blockchain like tic-tac-toe and connect four. Its a small hobby of mine, but I would love to pursue a career in smart contract programming.

1 Like