ENS DAO next steps re: Brantly

Agreed here re maybe having allowed more community contributions/discussion before a TNL decision but these are two separate entities and decision making levers are different. It’s the hybrid state of many DAOs.

I have stated this before in convos and on Twitter - this process or discussion hasn’t got to do with belief systems or freedom of expression. It has to do with the responsibility a v public role within one of the key pillars of this ecosystem carries and what the weight of that responsibility is.

We keep speaking about being inclusive of everyone - yes, and we need to be when we are trying to build something better - but we must also be mindful when we speak and the reverberations of what we express. With great freedom comes great responsibility and maintaining space while we take up-space is the key to a more mindful and productive way of relating to each-other.

4 Likes

He is not excluded. He can use ENS like everyone else. In fact, he is still the Director of ENS Foundation. Even if he is replaced, he will still be brantly.eth and continue be an influential delegate. The conception that Brantly has been cancelled is wrong. No one can cancel him. No one should cancel him. No one will cancel him. Protocol is still neutral toward brantly.eth the user. Brantly Millegan the leader however has lost his neutrality by harbouring hate toward a very large fraction of the DAO, clearly large enough to have him removed. No one is cancelled.

The backbone of a legally sound and socially just system is strengthened when proportionality of punishment matches the severity of offence. In this case, removal from leader position is an appropriate sanction for violating human dignity of those he represents by delegation of trust

@merkleplant @oxo

7 Likes

I would hope we can agree that ENS needs leadership to be totally indifferent to public opinion. If there is any bias at all in favor of one group or another, it basically erodes credibility of the protocol in general.

We all have feelings and sympathies and that is actually the root problem here.

4 Likes

Hi,

I’m still trying to get my head around the way that ENS works.

How safe are ENS domains in the respect of immutability?

What would happen if over half of the community wanted a particular .eth domain nuked off the face of the planet? Is that possible? Or would the smart contract leave it with the owner no matter what?

Thanks!

1 Like

Hi Chris. This isn’t the place for this type of discussion. Please utilize other forum sections or join us in the Discord.

1 Like