ENS to ETH2 migration

Hello everybody.

1. Do we have a roadmap? I couldn’t find it on any of our resources. If not, would we make one?

2. What do we plan to do with ETH2?
    It looks like ETH2 will make ENS value on ETH1 less significant. Can we technically and shall we at all migrate with ENS to ETH2? The optimistic scenario is to migrate there with registrar, all the names and owners.
    Or it’s technically impossible and there will be new
    registrar and everything from the only begining?

I propose to discuss it and make a clear roadmap with it…

4 Likes

Wow I guess I didn’t even think about logistics. I was assuming that there wasn’t anything that we needed to do? I suppose I need to understand more about ETH2 :thinking: is ETH going to remain the same there’s just a new ETH2? I was under the assumption that ETH2 was just a codename for when it switches from PoW to PoS :face_with_raised_eyebrow:… but now suddenly I feel like that’s wrong.
In any case it feels like you’re absolutely right, we should definitely plan and discuss a roadmap! Maybe including more explanation and clarity for those of us who are confused could be a part of that discussion?

ETH1(current)
is going to become just one of ETH2 shards.
And ENS now is ETH1 project only.
So the best scenario for us, I suppose, is to migrate ENS registrar and database to ETH2 as is, if it’s technically possible.
I think we need developers expertise, to make a conclusion if it’s possible.

Ethereum 2.0 Merge information:

https://ethereum.org/en/eth2/merge/

Merging with Mainnet

When ready, Ethereum Mainnet will “merge” with the Beacon Chain, becoming its own shard which uses proof-of-stake instead of proof-of-work.

Mainnet will bring the ability to run smart contracts into the proof-of-stake system, plus the full history and current state of Ethereum, to ensure that the transition is smooth for all ETH holders and users.

…

The merge and shard chains

Originally, the plan was to work on shard chains before the merge – to address scalability. However, with the boom of layer 2 scaling solutions, the priority has shifted to swapping proof-of-work to proof-of-stake via the merge.

So, it’s true that Ethereum 1.0 will be its own shard on Ethereum 2.0, except converted from PoW to PoS. However, the timeline for multiple shards being implemented has been shifted to right probably by several years. Other work may be of more immediate need.

1 Like

IMO because of eth1 and eth2 merging, there is no need to migrate all data will be merged and available from eth2, what we can expect is less gas cost while tx rest will be the same.

Expectation sometimes doesn’t match reality upon implementation…

1 Like