[EP13][Executable] Support the Protocol Guild Pilot

Thank you for your clarification. I’m learning a lot. All of this has been beneficial to understand how protocol / application governance(s) and funding of projects on top of Ethereum contribute as a community to support ongoing success.

6 Likes

So why is EF not supporting the demands for increased salaries? I think that a temporary support for core developers soon is a good thing and I’m all for it.

1. PG is intended to only ever be in addition to regular salaries. Only about 30% of members are directly employed by the EF, as well as a number of independent contributors that don’t have salaries.
  2. The EF can’t provide differentiated funding sources we’re experimenting with in the Pilot, like tokens solicited from prominent ecosystem projects (future iterations may focus on different asset types or a basket of various types). By definition, community-sourced funding can’t come from a single entity. PG sponsorship should come directly from the broader community in order to create a robustly structured alternative funding mechanism. That being said, we are very open to the idea of the EF leveraging this mechanism as another funding avenue.
  3. This isn’t meant to be a temporary project. Long-term, we hope this evolves and grows significantly, enough to become major source of funding to support the core protocol.

funding application layer projects with a greater incentive of upside, may actually be hurting the entire crypto ecosystem at the core

this is not at all what we’re arguing. The vision of a globally ubiquitous Ethereum without sovereign economic mechanisms built on top is broken. The managed monoculture of a timber forest lacks biodiversity, only a shadow of the vibrant life found in unmanaged growth.

Would this be better if looked at after successful merge from PoW to PoS merge?

While we’re excited to finally be getting the project off the ground, we do feel a quiet urgency with the intimate knowledge that something like this should have existed many years ago. That being said, we’re thrilled that so many of the community have recognized the importance of this initiative alongside us.

I would like to see part of tokens be donated to be retained by recipients to be used for participation / active voting within the governance(s).

We’d love to see this as well, and will definitely be encouraging members to consider governance participation post vest and claim. But as it stands we can’t enforce any obligations, and would approach any the consideration of an internal PG mechanism only after careful deliberation.

3 Likes

This is now live for voting on snapshot.

2 Likes

|| Pilot participation maintains and expands the ENS community’s existing reputation for funding Public Goods.
|| To that end, we think it’s important to demonstrate impact: learn more about how we intend to evaluate Pilot outcomes here.

ENS Roadmap Question:
Is this proposal:

1. just maintain & expanding the “ENS community’s existing reputation, for funding Public Goods”, (including funding Core Devs, which I do support, generally),
    or,
  2. will there be “anything specific”, (which I do not see clearly in the proposal outcomes link, above), related to how this ENS/Pilot-relationship will directly/specifically roadmap ENS systems, with deeper ENS integration into Core code/infrastructure?

I am just wondering if anything is detailed, planned, or road-mapped w/ this proposal, for follow-up or accountability, (any specifics, or just general funding), related to this $ENS funding.

1 Like

+ 1 to the Protocol Guild Pilot, new collectives like this are pioneering the new digital funding landscape!
:european_castle:_ :fire:

Two thoughts:

• Firstly, ensuring who is getting the funding is sufficiently open/decentralised is super important. +1 to having this as some type of public forum that is viewable and open to contribution from the projects (like ENS) that funded the initiative.

• Secondly, although the weighting breakdown is described here, the difference between these weightings is still pretty major (the lowest being 0.33 and the highest at 1.67).

• We need to ensure that the weighting breakdown continues to evolve alongside contributions, as an acive and open conversation (to make core developers envious of others making 5x the amount of tokens they are).

Other than making sure the Protocol keeps open communication around the above two points, :fire:_ :fire: fully supports this proposal.

2 Likes
  1. will there be “anything specific”, ( which I do not see clearly in the proposal outcomes link, above ), related to how this ENS/Pilot-relationship will directly/specifically roadmap ENS systems, with deeper ENS integration into Core code/infrastructure?

there isn’t anything currently (nor planned for the future) related to core devs contributing directly to the ENS protocol beyond providing a stable and more scalable/secure/sustainable foundation for it to build upon. That being said, we will encourage beneficiaries to participate in ENS governance if they choose to.

• Firstly, ensuring who is getting the funding is sufficiently open/decentralised is super important. +1 to having this as some type of public forum that is viewable and open to contribution from the projects (like ENS) that funded the initiative.

What do you mean by “open to contribution” here?

• We need to ensure that the weighting breakdown continues to evolve alongside contributions, as an acive and open conversation (to make core developers envious of others making 5x the amount of tokens they are).

The weighting mechanism was crafted by the entire membership, and everyone is generally happy with the outcome! Of course if we discover it’s poorly fit in practice over the Pilot, we will be sure to modify it in advance of the next PG iteration.

The vote has passed on Snapshot! Thank you everyone that voiced their position.

6 Likes

This is now active for voting onchain - please go vote!

2 Likes

Protocol Guild tweeted earlier that all the Pilot Program coins are now claimable by their members.

The tweet contains some dashboards that show the contributions form each donating group. Great job ENS. We should be proud of this.

1 Like

Great highlight @5pence.eth, saving a click for those who want to see current state:

Protocol Dashboard Link

3 Likes

Remember when we got fleeced for millions in the name of Public Goods? Good times.

Text me sometime Protocol Guild, I thought we had something special :disappointed_relieved:

1 Like

Hello again ENS community!

About 6 months ago you helped spring into life a new public goods funding mechanism - the Protocol Guild - and today we’re happy to share some updates on everything that’s happened since.

As you may recall, the Protocol Guild is an attempt to secure the future of Ethereum’s core development work in a sustainable and decentralized way. The Guild is a membership registry of Ethereum’s active core protocol contributors, and provides a single address for anyone to donate to, which is then vested to these members over time. The Guild aims to normalize that Ethereum’s ecosystem and community set aside a portion of treasuries / revenues to support the infrastructure they depend on.

In May ‘22 a pilot program for this was launched, which ENS helped bootstrap with 500k ENS tokens, worth $1.8m at the time. THANK YOU for your early belief in this project, and commitment to supporting the Ethereum protocol!

So, where are we since launching?

• $10 million raised to date from 3.8k donations (185 unique donors)
  • $5m has been distributed to 128 members (up from 90 to start), on average $39k per member
  • Work is currently underway for the Guild to adopt Moloch v3 tooling and allow consolidation of L2 donations
  • Our next fundraising push will target raising $100m over four years, from the end of the pilot (May ‘23)

Below I’ve included some links if you want more details, and we’re also around if you want to ask questions. Thanks again to each and every one of you for helping make this happen. Wishing you all happy holidays!

2 Likes

Maybe we could do a Twitter Space where you talk through Protocol Guild updates from the last few months. Will DM you to organize something.

4 Likes

:joy::joy::joy: you guys are shameless

1 Like