[EP6] [Cancelled] See EP 6.1 and 6.2

You can post the audio wherever you’d like - I uploaded it to Dropbox as a quick solution

2 Likes

@cory.eth @lefterisjp Draft has been updated to reflect the role correctly. Recording has been put on ArDrive and IPFS. I recommend IPFS fans to pin the CID.

Can someone put a date and time on the space’s recording? I am confused as to how many spaces there were on this and when that particular one was. Also would be helpful to know whose voices it is we are hearing, apart from Brantly.

1 Like

The DAO holds hiring and firing powers over Foundation directors. It could vote to dismiss Brantly directly, but I think it would be much safer and more responsible to appoint a replacement instead. The logical way to do this would be with a process where people can nominate themselves, and then a Snapshot vote can be taken to elect someone. I’m happy to chat with anyone considering the position about the day-to-day responsibilities (minimal), risks (likely minimal but hard to characterise) and the compensation (minimal, unless the DAO decides otherwise).

4 Likes

Would it be possible for TNL to formalise the process of nomination by issuing a small summary about

the position about the day-to-day responsibilities (minimal), risks (likely minimal but hard to characterise) and the compensation (minimal, unless the DAO decides otherwise).

in a forum post? With that as basis, the DAO can open a nomination window (with strict formal criteria to avoid spamming). This will allow an easy election by vote similar to the election of Stewards. I am happy to help with handling the nominations under full disclosure and without conflict of interest.

Here you go: Role & responsibilities of ENS Foundation Director

2 Likes

I would like to echo Nick’s proposal here and ask that the DAO focuses on finding and voting in a replacement than on simply dismissing Brantly.

4 Likes

Proposal can be amended and put on hold. We all agree with Nick on this

2 Likes

I’d like to echo Nick’s proposal as well to find a replacement first.

Thank you Nick for the document. This must be a heartbreaking time for you with no easy options. I personally appreciate you acting with grace and resolve through all of this, and I’m sure the community does as well.

5 Likes

@spencecoin @nick.eth @codemonkey I have updates the draft to reflect that the proposal is now to replace Brantly instead of simply terminating him. Comments are welcome if any.

1 Like

Director of the Foundation is mostly an administrative role to do menial tasks and replacing Brantly would be more about symbolism than anything else. Brantly cannot be removed from his Delegate roles by anyone other than his own delegators.

1 Like

I would not characterize the ENS Foundation Directors’ position as one of menial tasks, as they serve an important function under Cayman Islands’ law; their responsibility is reporting compliance to the law and regulators. Perhaps @nick.eth example was too simplistic. I believe the point he was making is that the Directors are not involved in the day-to-day operations of the DAO, nor are they the decisionmakers of ENS, which power resides in the DAO, the Directors have limited duties.

1 Like

There will be people in the DAO on both sides of this issue. If we wait to hold a vote then some people will feel rushed into making a decision as well. I also think there are many people who would like to exercise their vote at this time, therefore, I suggest the DAO put forward something for people to vote on right away, even if that is to vote on the order of future votes.

1 Like

The term “sleep on it” exist for a reason. I don’t mind people taking time with this decision. A vote is welcomed by all means, but rushing it might be a mistake.

2 Likes

I agree with @Premm.eth that at least the first vote to establish quorum is taken.

If the role is mostly administrative, then maybe the least bad option here is to replace him as director. In addition to first finding a replacement, I personally would still like to hear from Brantly after he’s had enough time to process all this before the vote to remove him.

A larger concern seems to be taking over Brantly’s responsibilities in TNL. This is ultimately Nick and TNL’s decision to make of course. But since Brantly had such a large role in the success of ENS, can the community help in any way? It looks like @matoken.eth is taking over Brantly’s tasks, does he feel he can handle it alone? Can community members volunteer to compensate Brantly in an independant capacity while Makoto is getting up to speed with the role?

I’d hope the whole point of a DAO is for the community to help shoulder the burden of key operators in times like this.

1 Like

I am mostly taking over integration partnership as I was already doing in relation to prep for l2/offchain support. I wouldn’t be taking over the public relations aspect of his work. TNL will be looking for his replacement but I agree and welcome that the community take up many of his roles.

6 Likes

@matoken.eth @codemonkey This will require a coordinated effort, especially from the side of TNL and Stewards, plus any delegates or community members who are up for the challenge. @nick.eth has already posted in several threads about the general roles and responsibilities of a Director, so that part is well-documented and clear in spirit. Nevertheless, what Brantly had been doing precisely at the moment we do not know. I like the idea of Community picking his tasks and taking control while a replacement is sought in parallel; this is the true spirit of a DAO - an individual’s role should not impact the ecosystem to the extent that progress gets derailed. From the looks of it, the public relations aspect of the role hangs in the balance. What else?

2 Likes

@moderators @nick.eth I have made the necessary edits to the draft to reflect recent outcomes from other threads (1 & 2) and I think this text form can move forward whenever the administration is ready.

1 Like

Thank you for updating this.

I think the proposal needs a clear section that constitutes the notice to the Foundation. It needs to spell out exactly what the DAO/Council is requiring of the foundation. Our solicitors said the following:

On this basis, practically, I think the notice to the Foundation should:

· Be addressed the Foundation Company;

· State that “The ENS Tokenholders have voted in favour of removing Brantly as a director ­­­[and appointing… as a director] of The ENS Foundation (such affirmative vote is evidence by the receipt of messages signed with the ENS Tokenholders’ Ethereum public keys – see Appendix A)”; and

· The notice be accompanied by such evidence summarizing the receipt of the requisite number of messages/votes.

It will need to include some mention of the voting process adopted (I suggest Snapshot’s implementation of Ranked Choice), and that the result of the notice depends on the result of the vote. I think the choices need to include each nominee, as well as options for retaining Brantly, and for removing Brantly but not replacing him with anyone.

Perhaps @berrios.eth can help with wording of the notice?

3 Likes