[EP6] [Cancelled] See EP 6.1 and 6.2

Dropbox - File Deleted - Simplify your life

This is shared in ENS DAO next steps re: Brantly

In that case, I will summarise it in the draft proposal. Thanks

1 Like

@nick.eth @spencecoin I have made the necessary changes. I believe that the draft is now in mature form and only lacks the Snapshot link.

Thanks for the link, missed that in all the threads.

Haven’t made a decision on switching delegates yet and hope to still to hear from Brantly given everything he’s read since then.

TBH, I don’t have that much of an issue with Brantly’s beliefs. Sure, they are quite wildly against what I stand for, but the world is a large place and it’s important that a wide variety of perspectives exist and are heard.

What is troubling is that Brantly doesn’t seem to recognize the new responsibility that comes with his position as ENS gains more importance.

From the spaces, he claims that he should be able to tweet what he wants and that expressing mainstream religious views shouldn’t exclude you from web3. IMO, no one is seriously thinking about stopping him from participating in web3. The issue is he’s not just a participant, he’s a prominent leader in arguably one of the most important protocols in web3.

Such a position requires understanding that communication to a large audience is lossy. And that achieving the best outcomes requires internalizing how your message will be received by a diverse set of listeners. It’s fine if he needs to grow into this role, but I worry it’s not something he realizes he needs to get better at.

7 Likes

He answered the next day:

Disciplinary actions started after this. He has shown no intent to internalise the world around him as you expect him to, sadly.

7 Likes

I am a bit confused which one is the proposal, I thought that was already the other post tweeted by ensdao.eth twitter account.

In any case if this here ends up what is being voted on I have stated my current thoughts in the other post here: ENS DAO next steps re: Brantly - #10 by lefterisjp

Given this might be a pretty significant change to his model of the world, I’d hope to give him at least a week to take it all in. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

I’ve listened to most of the Alisha twitter space yesterday and while I understand the pov opposing brantly I still think we haven’t given him the freedom of expression and the chance to apologize, neither have we considered other alternative solutions like sanctions and punishments instead of radical termination.

So the way it is now, if the proposal has only the Yes/No options, I might lean towards No. Not because I agree with him, but because of the short-sightedness of this proposal and the lack of responsability. None of you have come up with alternatives or seriously considered the aftermath of this decision on ENS.

Please discuss this thoroughly before taking terminal decisions. Drastic decisions that are pushed by people that have absolutely no skin in ENS who will get what they want and never contribute here again, are not decisions that I will personally stand behind.

5 Likes

It looks like he has already been terminated and the DAO had no say in it.

I don’t see how this could have been handled worse.

4 Likes

Is there any point to this proposal anymore considering the fact that TNL has terminated Brantly’s employment?

Doesn’t that already also translate directly to his role in the DAO?

Do we need to drag this on further and polarize an already polarized community even more for the duration of time a snapshot vote would take place?

1 Like

I suggest you modify to “Director role” as DoO was his title within TNL, not the one at the ENS foundation.

Not for TNL, but Nick suggested to hold voting to decide the replacement of a director of ENS foundation itself after the replacement is nominated. Brantly's position as TNL's Director of Operations

1 Like

He has been terminated from his position at TNL, not at the ENS Foundation. Yet.

1 Like

Wrong. He is not yet terminated from his role as Director at ENS Foundation. TNL =/= ENS.

In that case please modify the topic to reflect this. As @matoken.eth already mentioned the role you want to remove him from is the one he was fired from TNL.

The topic should reflect that this is for his role as Director for the DAO.

1 Like

I feel like preserving the historical context of this debate is imperative to the future understanding of researchers and ecosystem participants.

With that said, can we not host the audio on Dropbox and instead use a permanent storage solution like Arweave or IPFS (who will pin?)?

People will look back at this in the future and it’s critical they have the full context, as many place more weight on the 2022 response than the 2016-2018 tweets. Dropbox does not offer permanent censorship-resistant storage.

I cannot access the audio without making a Dropbox account. Fewer than ~0.25% of people worldwide have a paid Dropbox account.

1 Like

You can post the audio wherever you’d like - I uploaded it to Dropbox as a quick solution

2 Likes

@cory.eth @lefterisjp Draft has been updated to reflect the role correctly. Recording has been put on ArDrive and IPFS. I recommend IPFS fans to pin the CID.

Can someone put a date and time on the space’s recording? I am confused as to how many spaces there were on this and when that particular one was. Also would be helpful to know whose voices it is we are hearing, apart from Brantly.

1 Like

The DAO holds hiring and firing powers over Foundation directors. It could vote to dismiss Brantly directly, but I think it would be much safer and more responsible to appoint a replacement instead. The logical way to do this would be with a process where people can nominate themselves, and then a Snapshot vote can be taken to elect someone. I’m happy to chat with anyone considering the position about the day-to-day responsibilities (minimal), risks (likely minimal but hard to characterise) and the compensation (minimal, unless the DAO decides otherwise).

4 Likes

Would it be possible for TNL to formalise the process of nomination by issuing a small summary about

the position about the day-to-day responsibilities (minimal), risks (likely minimal but hard to characterise) and the compensation (minimal, unless the DAO decides otherwise).

in a forum post? With that as basis, the DAO can open a nomination window (with strict formal criteria to avoid spamming). This will allow an easy election by vote similar to the election of Stewards. I am happy to help with handling the nominations under full disclosure and without conflict of interest.