Increasing optionality with custom namespaces

I am relatively new to ENS. I did a search of the forum and didn’t see a discussion of this at length, so forgive me if it has been discussed before.

I appreciate what is happening with the .eth namespace. ENS seems a useful service and I can tell a lot of thought has gone into how to handle .eth registrations. At the same time I think it would be nice to create space for more experimentation with registration, renewal, and funding models. One way to do this would be to introduce the ability to create new namespaces with custom rules, that are still compatible with the current ENS resolver. For example I could create a .blockchain namespace that is first come, first served with names that cost 1 DAI each and never have to be renewed. Not saying this specific example is a good idea :wink: it is just for illustration.

The question then becomes who can create a new namespace and how. Whatever is decided will be relatively arbitrary, but similar thought could be put into it just as thought was put into name registrations for the .eth namespace. In Blockstack, a namespace creator has to burn $10,000 worth of BTC. The thought being that it should be seen as an investment to make the namespace successful since it is effectively being taken off the market forever. I’m not too concerned about the exact mechanism for creating new namespaces right now, I just want to acknowledge here that it is an open question.

So all that said, has the idea of adding new namespaces with their own custom registration and renewal policies been discussed before? If so, what was the conclusion? And if not, what do you think about this idea?

This has been discussed extensively in the past. We consider ourselves part of the ‘global namespace’ occupied by DNS, though, and we’re really reluctant to pollute it with a plethora of TLDs that aren’t resolvable outside ENS.

If you were to own blockchain.eth, then you could easily enforce this policy on subdomains (myname.blockchain.eth). Many services propose that already.

Also for testing purposes there are .eth and .test on Ropsten !

@john-light

For example I could create a .blockchain namespace that is first come, first served

An easy way to test that out out is by using the .eth as the TLD and then offering the subdomains at a reasonable price. So with your example, anyone.blockchain.eth would be under your control to test out the 1DAI/.01ETH per subdomain. Under ENS, that functionality exists today so you can get started right away.