Mobile app for simple name registrations

ecosystem
permanent-registrar

TL;DR:

We (Tasit Labs) would like to build a proof-of-concept native mobile app for simple ENS registrations. Thoughts?

Long version:

Motivation
The primary motivation is to make it as easy as possible to register ENS names of 7+ character length (and shorter ones when the auction is done).

Having a mobile app fits well with the new push for wider adoption of ENS.

Implementation

1. We’re thinking that this would be a stand-alone native mobile app in React Native, not a PWA (progressive web app) within a dapp browser app.
  2. Using React Native does leave the option open of using the same codebase to build for a mobile PWA deployment target in the future using react-native-web, which is nice.
  3. React Native also means that it would work on both iOS and Android.
  4. Finally, the fact that the manager app on the web is built with React means it will be easier for the same engineers to contribute to multiple front-end apps.

Feature set
Open to suggestions, but push notifications on mobile would be nice for renewal notices.

Past experience
Here’s an example of a 3rd-party native mobile app we recently built that lets you buy Decentraland land and estates:

Decentraland app code

Notes
We’re also interested in building a mobile app for the short name auction. A separate post for that will go in the Short Name Reservation WG category on this forum. We’re open to doing either or both.

Details
I could go into a lot more detail here, but I’d like to keep this forum post short to get people’s initial reactions to the idea itself.

Tasit website

2 Likes

This sounds great! Our own manager app aims to work on mobile, but a dedicated app for mobile sounds like a fine idea.

3 Likes

This sounds like a good idea to me. What do you need from us to get started? cc: @brantlymillegan

1 Like

@chris-remus @nickjohnson Great to hear! We should be good to go from a technical perspective.

If we can find a way for the two of us to cover living expenses while working on this, that would be very helpful. Not sure if there’s any way to make that happen though. If there were, we could begin work on this right away.

Charging fees through an open-source (and therefore forkable) client would be an interesting way to support work on this in the long run, but it wouldn’t solve the short-term issue.

A few ideas on possible sources of funding:

1. Someone reading this who’s feeling generous and would like to see it happen (I can share an address if applicable)
  2. ENS budget if any
  3. Applying for a grant specifically for this work
  4. Other???

Thanks!

Can you give an indication of how large a grant you think you’d need? I’m not sure the ENS budget has room for it, but at the very least we can help you hit up others.

1 Like

That would be great - thanks so much!

15k in DAI or USD would work for us. How does that sound?

I’m pcowgill on Telegram, in case it will be too noisy to chat about reaching out to people here.

Thanks again!

Hey all. Any thoughts on this?

I imagine you’ve all been busy with the launch of the new ENS - congrats! I registered a domain, and it went very smoothly.

Thanks again!