New ENS testnet deployments

We’ve deployed a bunch of new stuff to the Goerli testnet:

The DNSSEC oracle combined with the new root will make it possible for anyone to claim any DNSSEC-enabled DNS domain they own on Goerli. We’re deploying this as a preview and test of the new root, and to give client developers a chance to develop and test out tools using this before the rollout of DNSSEC-for-everyone on mainnet.

Interested users should check out the dnsprovejs library and its documentation, as well as the dnsregistrar library.

The legacy auction registrar is being deployed with a drastically shortened auction period - 1 hour for bids and 1 hour for reveals - so that users can register ‘legacy’ names for testing the migration process ahead of us deploying the permanent registrar. We’ll give everyone a week to register any legacy names they want to use for testing before we deploy the permanent registrar.

Can you define a list of contracts that I could put in a genesis allocation for ENS to work on a testnet out of the box?

Yes! See here: https://docs.ens.domains/deploying-ens-on-a-private-chain

If anything there is unclear or needs expanding on, please let me know. I just refactored the docs, and want to make them as useful as possible.

Hmm, that guide seems to point to deploying on top of a running network. I’d be more interested in hard coding the registrars already into the genesis block of puppeth networks. Would it be too hard to pre-calculate the needed byte codes and storage slots without running any transactions? Alternatively, could I run a “simulated” chain in puppeth, get the final byte codes and stuff them into the genesis?

PS: The first step of your linked page seems to assume I know where the JS library can be obtained from. const ens = await ENS.new(); is a whole lot of assumption tht I myself at least have no idea of. The remaining steps seem to have require statements that help fill in the gaps, but the first is missing it.

That should work fine, yes. There’s not a lot of storage data to work with, but it’d make more sense to generate it from a chain dump than to try and code it by hand.

That’s instantiating a contract, truffle-style - no ENS-specific library. I’ll reword it to clarify though, thanks.

hey there,
nice to see the contract deployed on goerli, thanks for that,
now i find time, to test (change, subdomaining) how to use my main-net registered name,
or more or less getting into touch with the latest development, due to the fact,
that i always used parity in it`s old fashion to interact with the required contracts-
so i am going through the actual documents and state my interest on working at this topic with questions.