Code of Conduct - Drafting & Discussion

Hey all, as you may or may not know, the #community Working Group has been developing a robust code of conduct these past few weeks / months. I’d first of all like to give a massive thanks to @estmcmxci for taking this on and doing the lion’s share of the writing, and the rest of the WG (@Coltron.eth @Limes @matoken.eth @validator.eth) and other community members like @vegayp for getting involved as well.

I believe a code of conduct is necessary to act as a north star for how individuals who want to join the DAO/community conduct themselves, and to act as a neutral reference point for when conflicts arise, and allow us to make decisions without individuals’ emotions getting involved.

Following the break is the proposed Code of Conduct, and we’d appreciate everyone’s thoughts and opinions. It’s lengthy, but important.

I think the goal is, after the community here on the forums largely feels this CoC is sufficient, we can make this into a social proposal to adopt it DAO-wide.

Pledge

We as members, contributors, and leaders of ENS DAO pledge to maintain a safe space that encourages high standards for inclusivity and representation.

Accessibility is core to our ethos, and so all exchanges on our platform will be documented and stored in a public space for members of our community to refer to.

On a higher level, interactions among anyone interacting with ENS DAO or on behalf of ENS DAO should be in good faith, and good faith should be assumed of the other party as well.

Participating in the community means we welcome people from all walks of life; no matter their orientation, race, creed, status, age, culture, philosophy, ideology, gender, and so forth.

We will do our best to accommodate both the needs of neurotypical and neurodiverse community members; understanding that each community members’ voice is equally impactful and important to development of our overall ecosystem.

Intentionality and mindfulness in how we choose to engage with the community is at the center of what it means to be a productive member.

We as productive members understand that although our own values and beliefs may not align with others in the community, it does not give us the right to infringe upon, alienate, or marginalize them. We acknowledge and respect the sovereign rights of each member in our community, but not at the risk or peril of another.

Therefore, we pledge to act and interact in ways that contribute to an open, welcoming, diverse, inclusive, and healthy community.

Value-Aligned Conduct

The ENS DAO operates from a prosocial, human centered perspective:

• Prosocial - We value things that first and foremost create and support public goods. Profit is not bad in and of itself, but providing services to support the ENS community is more important. Indeed, profit is critical for our goal of creating a regenerative economy that supports the token engineering community.
  • Human centered - We encourage initiatives that are focused on using token engineering in an ethical manner and strive to only create positive impact.
  • Acknowledgement & Recognition - As best we can, we praise members contribution to the Commons and incentivize participation of existing and ongoing initiatives throughout the ENS DAO.

We hold ourselves to high standards of safety, resilience and integrity:

• Safety - We create an environment where everyone should feel safe to be themselves, interact with others, and express their opinions and contributions free from any malicious reaction.
  • Resilience - We ask members of this community to communicate openly and to make an effort to maintain alignment with the ENS Mission, Vision, and Values. If conflicts arise, we expect members to act peacefully towards a resolution and the restoration of harmony and efficiency.
  • Integrity - Honesty and consistency lead to trust, which is a core value of healthy communities. Our approach is to trust first, but any obvious instances of scamming, deceit, spamming, or fraudulent activity will be treated as a violation of this code of conduct

We encourage our members to be radically open source, non-hierarchical, creative and transparent in their intentions and accountable for their actions:

• Open-source - Ideas are meant to be shared. We default to using GPLv3 and Creative Commons with attribution licensing on our work, but we accept all open source licenses.
  • Non-hierarchical - Everyone is encouraged to exercise their autonomy, creativity and full agency when acting in the Commons. Every individual is wise in their own manner, and the diversity of perspectives enriches our Commons.
  • Transparent - We value individuals’ efforts to act transparently and to proactively identify their incentives, especially if there are conflicts of interest, especially when it comes to proposing, funding, work progress and other important activities involving the ENS Commons.
  • Accountable - Community members are expected to be accountable for all their actions and commitments. Accountability brings trust, and trusting in each other is critical for our success.

“We welcome new community members to review the ENS DAO’s Value Board, which explicitly states our values which we believe promote a healthy ENS DAO and ENS Community.” - Marcus Martínez, Community WG LC.

Our Standards

Examples of behavior that contributes to a positive environment for our community include:

• Demonstrating empathy and kindness toward other people
  • Being respectful of differing opinions, viewpoints, and experiences
  • Giving and gracefully accepting constructive feedback
  • Accepting responsibility and apologizing to those affected by our mistakes, and learning from the experience
  • Focusing on what is best not just for us as individuals, but for the overall community
  • Giving praise generously where praise is due

Examples of unacceptable behavior include:

• The use of sexualized language or imagery, and sexual attention or advances of any kind
  • Trolling, insulting or derogatory comments, and personal or political attacks
  • Public or private harassment
  • Publishing others’ private information, such as a physical or email address, without their explicit permission
  • Other conduct which could reasonably be considered inappropriate in a professional setting

Enforcement Responsibilities

Stewards, Lead Coordinators and Contributors are responsible for clarifying and enforcing our standards of acceptable behavior and will take appropriate and fair corrective action in response to any behavior that they deem inappropriate, threatening, offensive, or harmful.

Community leaders have the right and responsibility to remove, edit, or reject comments, commits, code, wiki edits, issues, and other contributions that are not aligned to this Code of Conduct, and will communicate reasons for moderation decisions when appropriate.

Conflict Management & Resolution

Despite best efforts to create a safe space for Community Members to thrive in, there remains a possibility for conflict that can endanger the health of our Community. In anticipation of this, our Community has developed a protocol to prevent and manage conflict. We outline our approach below:

Maintaining Trust through Transparency and Accessibility

Conflict can be prevented by maintaining a high level of trust within the Community. Community leaders are responsible for maintaining this trust by communicating the values described herein. The Community Working Group will do their best to communicate those values by distributing information equally throughout all channels of the ENS DAO.

“Commons need to have clearly defined boundaries.”

Boundaries are healthy and prosocial; without boundaries, communities run the risk of miscommunication which can lead to apparent or intentional infringement of Community Members’ respective soverignty. Each member will act with respect to their roles. Unless otherwise specified, those roles will define and guide the way in which members will engage with the Community as a whole.

Creating Safe Spaces to Communicate Issues Within The Community [2]

It is the responsibiliy of each member of the Community to hold each other accountable for violations to the Code of Conduct. The Community Working Group has therefore created a space where members can address issues while respecting their privacy. Members of the Community Working Group are responsible for fielding and reviwing each issue submitted to the form. Their job is to create a constructive process to inform the community of the issue in a way that each individual can grow from the process.

Escalation and Community Involvement

Incidents and conflicts that require special attention are to be brought to the attention of the Community Stewards. The Stewards will meet to discuss the issue and work to resolve it through a process of consensus. If the issue cannot be resolved through consensus of the Community Working Group, it will then be brought to the attention of the Community as a whole. The Community Working Group is responsible for leading the discussion with the Community on how best to resolve the issue through public discourse.

Transformational Approach to Conflict Resolution

Sanctions are a more appropriate measure for conflict resolution. Outright punishment (banning) tends to create resentment which rots community sentiment. Instead, Community Leaders should learn from the experience and create a usecase that can be used to help imrpove the overall Community experience.

View our Protocol for Conflict Resolution: Conflict Protocol

Guidelines

1. This space is a public good, treat it with as much respect as you would your own space.
  2. Common sense is not so common; asking the community for help is encouraged.
  3. Pro social discussions help to grow the community, think about how you can add to existing conversation.
  4. Open dialogue and constructive criticism is encouraged.
  5. Don’t dignify bad behavior with a response, simply flag it.
  6. This is a place for civil discussion; mind your manners and be thoughtful
  7. Keep discussion orderly. No spamming, double posting or divergent replies.

Scope

This Code of Conduct applies within all community spaces, and also applies when an individual is officially representing the community in public spaces. Examples of representing our community include using an official e-mail address, posting via an official social media account, or acting as an appointed representative at an online or offline event.