[pRFP] ENS DAO Merch Store

Thanks for this catch, it’s unclear. Many people have expressed they want the option to include ENS Name on merch.

This will be an interesting challenge to solve, but the applicants will ultimately decide how they want to tackle this.

Will do today!

2 Likes

Could you clarify the non-profit role? Does that mean all proceeds go back to the DAO?

May I suggest shortening the time period? I think there are a lot of people who want official merch.

"The Store will be run with a non-profit strategy while seeking to be self-sustaining through the profit margin. "

The operator will retain the profits. To be clear, profit for our case is the revenue generated from merch sale less expenses and liabilities for maintaining the online storefront and upkeep of inventory.

This incentivizes the operator to run the business well in order to maximize their return while ensuring the store remains self-sustainable. Really, the operation bears some similarities to a concession agreement.

We can negotiate finer details before selection. If an applicant submits a well-devised business plan that works for the DAO, it will be entertained. Finding a competent operator is my primary concern at this stage.

No. I don’t think this should be rushed.

3 Likes

I’m not sure if there is a conflict of interest here or not, as a delegate, but Giveth, Commons Stack and TEC have all worked with General Magic to build swag shops (and a variety of other things). And it’s been GREAT!

I co-founded GM as a web3 Public Goods dev team for hire, and this is a perfect opportunity for us to jump in and support ENS!

Edited to remove proposal info… will add back soon :smiley:

4 Likes

TY coltron

Question Period - Open

For the next seven days, the following submissions are open to DAO Discussion.

At the conclusion of this period, the RFP manager and community stewards will decide if one of these proposals will be put forward to a social proposal.

How to ask a question

Please follow these guidelines to keep these discussions easy to track.

• Questions: Craft your questions mindfully and succinctly to elicit the information you are seeking. Tag the submitter if possible.
  • Responses: Address questions fully as a reply with inline quotes for easy sorting.

Remember: This is a Q&A, not a debate.

The Proposals

Proposal 1

Submitted by: @accessor.eth
Link to Proposal: Proposal #1

Proposal 2

Submitted by: @Griff
Link to Documentation: Proposal #2

Proposal 3

Submitted by: Rob from Juniper
Link to Documentation: Proposal #3

Proposal 4

Submitted by: @SOFam
Link to Documentation: Proposal #4

5 Likes

Here are links to merchandise shops topdrawermerch.com has recently completed.

Bored Ape Yacht Club

Coachella Music Festival

Invisible Friends

IOTA

Snoop Dogg

Gutter Cat Gang

2 Likes

@Griff Will the proposed merch store support individually customised items?

Is it possible to get a breakdown of the $1k/mo support fee for the store? This seems high for a largely automated system that is not likely to have high individual support costs.

Rob from Juniper: Will Juniper’s store support individually customised items?

1 Like

You know it!!! We are testing the process now. Hopefully I will have a griff.eth shirt in my hands soon, will send pics ;-D

Is it possible to get a breakdown of the $1k/mo support fee for the store?

On the user support question, I will update in a few days, I am at a conference and missed my chance to confirm the breakdown for that.

Hey Griff, let me know if you have any updates on the sample shirt.

Myself and @5pence.eth plan to review these at the conclusion of the public question period, if you have any supplemental information to submit before tomorrow evening, that would be great.

@nick.eth I pinged Rob via Twitter and e-mail. Awaiting response.

1 Like

The $1000 a month will pay for marketing and technical/customer support.

Is it possible to get a breakdown on that, though? What sort of marketing? How much customer support do you anticipate having to conduct?

From Rob:

" As for individual customization, unfortunately not. All of our products are done via factory lines and don’t allow for that level of micro-customization, such as your own name on a product.

I’d be cautious of that request and if it’s something that you really care about. Usually the only people who are willing to do that are print on demand companies. You get your name on the product, but then the product itself is quite poor quality. So it’s a trade off."

1 Like

Perhaps printed transfer papers of ENS names could be provided by the store, so that the user can put it on their own clothing with an iron?

That way the t-shirts could be from a factory line, and just the transfer paper could be printed by the shop - which shouldn’t be a lot of overhead as you can print many in one go :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Cthulu.eth This is definitely something I foresaw being an issue.

I have found a super niche solution that I think will work for us.

After @5pence.eth and I rate these based on minimums, I’ll suggest this process to all the qualified submissions (to keep it fair). If this is an absolute must, we can make a judgement based upon their ability to work this niche printing process into their design/procurement methods.

2 Likes

I understand that it’s important to everyone to want to have their names on their merchandise.

Look at it from the perspective of the person printing the shirts.
Each custom name requires a unique custom silk screen for printing. That means the producer has to:

Receive the order > check inventory for size, product etc. > Design and print a template according to the request > cut the template > (one per color / layer ) > print the ink on the product, let it dry individually, print a specific shipping label for that particular print, double check it, package it, then ship it. That is for one shirt order.

There are 1.3 million + names registered. 400K+ unique wallets ( if i remember correctly ) say 10% of wallets want their name printed. that is ~40,000 custom prints. 40,000 … 200K+ twitter followers.

the engagement has not been tested before. we have no Idea how many people will actually order a shirt.

if a person could do the entire process for one shirt every 5 minutes for 40k shirts-- that would take 6 months of round the clock non stop work.

Also, I have secured @ensmerch handle on twitter.
Any marketing, social media is all priced in with the ROI with selling over 500 shirts. That is my goal and very feasible IMO. PreSale will last about a week then full merch store comes with nice jackets, nice collared shirts etc.

For what its worth, here are just some of the reasons we chose to structure our store around our partners Shopify & Printful and why we feel it is the best solution to the questions that have been submitted thus far.

1. Shopify’s image uploader solves the customization problem by allowing customers to upload any image they’d like to use with their shirts or other merchandise. Within minutes, a user with basic computer literacy can download their ENS avatar SVG file from any marketplace, convert their SVG to either PNG or JPG with any free online conversion tool, & upload it with just a few clicks directly to our site! Printful also allows for various text personalization options, such as embroidery, that can be used on a wide array of merchandise.

2. Working with Shopify & Printful enables our store operate at a high level of automation and requires very little hands-on technical support. This allows us to maintain the site for basically free & focus on other aspects such as marketing via the @ENSwear Twitter account & the day-to-day customer support.

3. Our store is already essentially complete with regards to basic functionality & will not require months of developement time. We could order a shirt today & have it in our hands within a week, given we receive the DAO & Community Working Group approved art & products. Those can be uploaded within a couple hours & we’d be able to start fulfilling orders immeadiately. Our dweb site its currently being deployed via ENSwear.eth.limo & we hope to add SIWE login capability very soon.

4. Our industry leading partners allow for huge scalabilty, versatility, & reliability! On-demand printing will alleviate production problems from single or small batch orders & will be able to support an extremely large volume of customers, whether we receive 1 order or 1000 orders at our grand opening! With our partners, we will be able to deliver our customers the most cost effective products available & a huge range of fabric options for our garments.

We are extremely dedicated to delivering the best merchandise store possible and delivers a customer-ready store with all the above benefits, and esssentially free to maintain, anywhere else!

• ENSwear Team :slight_smile:
1 Like

This is not necessary with direct-to-garment printing, which is how services like Printful work.

I would like to see any proposal for a merch store automate this; users should not have to conduct these manual steps. Does your proposal include this?

3 Likes

Our store does not currently allow full automation of SVG conversion, but we will reach out to request quotes for the additional time & labor to custom develop this feature.

In the meantime, for users who are unable to upload their own PNG or JPG file, our management team proposes to offer a white-glove service to complete this task for a nominal fee of $2.75 per image.

Here is a very informative video talking about Direct-to-Garment Printing vs Silk Screen Printing.

If anyone is curious.

2 Likes