Proposed ENS Constitution

Is there a thread to track public goods that we might grant funding to? As a delegate, I am particularly interested in identifying these projects sooner than later, as I believe this will help with ENS distribution and community building. Happy to start a seperate thread for this topic if useful.

2 Likes

Not yet! Weā€™re just getting started. Thisā€™d be a good kickoff thread for the Public Goods ā†’ General Discussion category.

To get write access you first need to apply - click ā€œRequest Accessā€ up top.

1 Like

Perfect, just requested access!

1 Like

My proposed language:

I. Name ownership shall not be infringed

ENS governance shall not enact any change that infringes on the rights of ENS users to retain names they duly registered, or discriminate against a registrantā€™s ability to extend, transfer, or use their domain name.

2 Likes

I think kneecapping dao income and incentives for ens holders/DAO participants is a really bad precedent to make. I am not suggesting prioritizing profit over the common good. BUT the DAO should make income and our holders and participants should see a direct benefit from this.

Now that we have a DAO and token we absolutely need to incentivize community participation, grow income, and attract talent.

Finding a nice balance between the wants of the devteam/community/tokenholders is my top priority.

2 Likes

Feel like thereā€™s something missing in the constitution, or that precise rules can never capture everything? So do the supporters of the proposed Article 0 amendment. Check it out here!

With lots of feedback from many ENS peeps we are soon going to be putting together a formal draft proposal, so please chime in with whatever you do or donā€™t like about this attempt to add more context on the existing community into which the constitution is being introduced :slight_smile:

2 Likes

ENS name: btcfuture.eth

My reasons for wanting to be a delegate:

My view on each section of the proposed ENS Constitution

• Name ownership shall not be infringed: (Agree/Disagree/Comment) -Agree
  • Fees are primarily an incentive mechanism: (Agree/Disagree/Comment)-Agree
  • Income funds ENS and other public goods: (Agree/Disagree/Comment)-Agree
  • ENS Integrates with the global namespace: (Agree/Disagree/Comment)-Agree

My web3 qualifications / skills: I know well about web3. Iā€™m always interested and watching you carefully.

1 Like

I thought using a phrase like ā€œwill notā€ rather than ā€œshall notā€, as in the section title, was not as forceful and leaves room for negotiation when this is the constitution of what ENS is looking to enact as a fixed position, subject to a duly enacted amendment. Also, ā€œunfairlyā€ is ambiguous and undefined; and thus, it opens itself to interpretation. Lastly, registrantā€™s should not ā€œownā€ their domain names, as it denotes a fixed and continuous possession into perpetuity when they must renew their domain namesā€™ registration periodically. If someone does not do so, they risk losing their right to use the domain name, in which case another person could claim it.

2 Likes

i agree`~~
i love this team~ gogo

2 Likes

I hope you get some good sleep :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

agree. Thatā€™s the best deal.

Ens name : nedstark.eth
I accept your constitutional proposals in order to be a pioneer in developments and new ideas. However, I want you to prepare a good roadmap and make applications that will benefit people. I would like you to announce the developments and works to us by sharing them on Twitter. Good luck. Hope to be a big community, goodbye

[image]

1 Like

i too agree with your views here

yes I know it, and im interested. I follow the topic closely.

i think its important to keep an incrypted diary with all the different passwords and all exchange credentials necessary to be a player in the crypto space.

Yes i agree that the name shall not be infringed.
The fees must not be too steep for the budding investors to partake of these airdrops to grow portfolios

These seem like really solid guidelines for the DOA in general but what about amendments regarding individual rights/responsibilities, such as enshrining individual voting rights, which can also apply to the whole DOA?

Something along the lines of: no $ENS holder will make proposals which will infringe, dilute or revoke the established voting rights of other holders?

for example,

no:

• drafting a proposal for a new, auxiliary token with special rights for only certain individuals
  • limiting or removing rights of existing token holders, especially in an attempt to manipulate voting results by excluding voters or intentionally making it more difficult to vote (think, voting rights act but for the blockchain), such as imposing an artificial or ridiculously inflated fee/poll tax in order to vote just to prevent the majority of holders from enacting their voting rights or freely exchanging those rights with others.

yes

• drafting a proposal for a new auxiliary token which grants enhanced utility which is equitably distributed to all ENS holders.
  • add/extend/amend the Constitution and rights of all token holders without denying or infringing otherā€™s rights arbitrarily.

Having a clause which states how and in which manner the Constitution can be changed is an important aspect of such a document.

Also, something along the lines of threatening/bribing/extorting/harassing people for votes should be considered bad. Canā€™t think of any decent phrasing for that right now unfortunately.

1 Like

Agreed .The Article 4 shall not create new top-level domain names at will. ETH is the most powerful proof and performance of ETHā€™s ecology. simple and clear

1 Like

Agree with all above rules

2 Likes

I agree of all
1 Name ownership is an absolute right: (Agree)
2 Registration fees exist as an incentive mechanism: (Agree)
3Income funds ENS and other public goods: (Agree)
4 ENS Integrates with the global namespace: (Agree)