Rethinking ENS Domain Pricing: A Crucial Conversation

You keep using emotive phrases and claiming things like ā€œstiflingā€ of ā€œinnovationā€, but youā€™ve been asked repeatedly now to back these up with anything, even just an example of the ā€œinnovationā€ thatā€™s not possible under the current pricing scheme, and failed to do so.

You havenā€™t provided any rationale for your pricing beyond that you think itā€™s a good idea. When I and others pointed out that making renewals cheaper than initial registrations may encourage squatting, you failed to respond meaningfully to that either.

Iā€™ve already expressed that Iā€™m open to a more nuanced pricing model, but your response to that is to scaremonger about subjectivity and insist instead on an across-the-board price reduction.

I donā€™t think thereā€™s anything further to be gained by engaging on this, so I wonā€™t be replying further. If anyone else wants to seriously discuss changes to the pricing model in a more nuanced fashion, Iā€™m happy to re-engage on that basis.

1 Like

But realistically it is the DAO that can make these changes so you have to persuade the DAO membersā€¦

You note that this ā€˜should not be conflated with pure speculative behaviorā€™ which is true, but I also think its worth noting that the success of ENS is not (in my opinion) in any way related to total registrations or revenue. Arguably a system with extremely high prices and an application process for entities with specific use cases could constitute a greater ā€˜successā€™. I.E. a system that only allows names to be registered by verified entities with demonstrable intention to innovate. Personally I think that the current setup gets the balance right.

1 Like

I agree with this. (most of the time, temp checks end up being temp checks by proxy).

That is what a DAO is for thoā€¦ the DAO is simply comprised of people ( in reference to consistent, regularly contributing members ) who were at one point in the same position as you. They, we, I felt the need to find their voice in an issue or issues persistently and to stay around and not just be a voice on the TL.

I donā€™t believe there is a disconnect in that sense because the DAO is essentially publicly available for anyone to come and contribute how they can. I did. You did, we all have.

If you think about the innovation of cellphones and all the inventions that are involved in the totality of production and all the infrastructure that comes with it; apply a timeline of those inventions over the course of total time of all cellular innovation, maybe that will provide some perspective. I will leave that perspective up to you to ponder on.