Testing Ethereal with the new registrar

Ethereal V2 is nearly ready for release, and it includes support for the permanent registrar. If anyone is interested in testing it regarding ENS functions please do.

To test it first fetch and build it:

git clone [email protected]:wealdtech/ethereal
cd ethereal
git checkout v2
go build

At the end of this there should be an ethereal binary for you to use (if you receive any errors please let me know).

Ethereal uses geth/parity style accounts; if you have set your account up with either of these products Ethereal should find it automatically (try etheral account list to see if it does). If not you can import to either of these products using their documentation.

Ethereal allows network selection with --network=mainnet/ropsten/goerli; as the permanent registrar is not available on mainnet yet you should use either ropsten or goerli.

To migrate from temporary to permanent registrar:

ethereal ens migrate --network=goerli --domain=mydomain.eth --passphrase=foo --wait

where mydomain.eth is the domain you want to migrate and foo is the passphrase for the account that owns the domain. --wait just waits for the transaction to be mined before returning.

To register a new domain on the permanent registrar:

ethereal ens register --network=goerli --domain=mynewdomain.eth --owner=owner.eth --passphrase=foo --wait

where owner.eth is the ENS name of the address that will own the domain (you can use an Ethereum address directly if you prefer).

To obtain information about a domain:

ethereal ens info --network=goerli --domain=mydomain.eth

There are various other commands, ethereal ens --help will give you a list of them and ethereal ens <command> --help will provide more details about available options.

If you do try it out please let me know how it goes.

1 Like

Does it support private chain so that it can be tested against ganache with dummy data?

You could feed it a direct --connection to your local chain, but it wouldn’t know the address of the registry so unfortunately not.

I see. Maybe future feature suggestion is to add --contractAddress to be able to specify custom register address.