The First ENS-Specific Minted on ETH blockchain

I am hoping someone on the ENS team can confirm this post for me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2 Likes

@matoken.eth Hello. Can you help with researching this?

1 Like

Hi, how do you define “ENS-specific PFP”? Is it something only ENS name holders can own? We created 100 NFT to ENS name holder about a year ago, but it was not generative so not sure if it qualify as PFP https://medium.com/the-ethereum-name-service/celebrating-enss-4th-anniversary-with-an-original-pplpleasr-nft-giveaway-4fa1dd29de29&ved=2ahUKEwjkobal-cH4AhWJd8AKHVObAJoQjjh6BAgJEAE&usg=AOvVaw20nT5cO2z2BJ6roGHmHK4S

1 Like

My definition of “ENS-specific” is: I have search everything I could in relation to PFP projects released/built on the ethereum blockchain. I could not locate a PFP project that had a PFP character with traits that clearly identified with the ens (.eth) protocol. I created the ENS Cat at the beginning of the digit domains taking off. I felt that the ENS Community didn’t have a PFP character to represent ENS. Hence, the first ENS Cat minted on the blockchain came with a (.eth) charm on the chain it was wearing. Again, I could not find any ENS Character PFP that clearly represented the protocol. So this is how ENS Cat was born. I only need confirmation whether it’s birth was the first of its kind in relation to ENS on the blockchain. Thank you!

is this your project? Is it actually minted on chain? If so, can you send me the etherscan info so that I can verify the date? You may also want to check the mint date of other projects mentioned in the thread.

1 Like

yes this is my project. i created/minted it on open sea as nfts. (they were limited as i didn’t have the funding to create a huge collection, so i only minted around 6. All i can really provide you is the metadata information from opensea. maybe this will help you search. i am not that good at that. thank you

As for the 4th anniversary POAP (100). i would not place that in the same category as a true NFT PFP character with traits.

https://opensea.io/assets/ethereum/0x495f947276749ce646f68ac8c248420045cb7b5e/21182747765953193381614589555232312235643109358248175184652463363063657005057

I hope this helps.

1 Like

It’s not POAP. It’s issued on chain.

“PFP” usually implies some sort of generative NFT whereas yours is custom collection which you minted one by one (I see some other non ENS related NFT in the same collection).

enspet (yes, they have bad reputation due to their initial art taken without permission from the original author) came later than you (end May as opposed to April) but it is generative based on ENS name so theirs are closer to the usual definition of PFP.

Also ENS Equinox is another giveaway nft which was first minted on March 2022 but not quite sure how unique or generative they are.

I am personally not making any judgement on “who is the first ENS pfp” as there is no canonical definition but you are free to self claim the title unless someone else disputes imo.

2 Likes

One more thing. We did collab with a NFT marketplace back in 2020.
They are not generative but it is rather 1 by 1 NFT art related to ENS.

2 Likes

I appreciate the information. I think I can make the generative ENS-specific PFP argument (although be created 1 by 1 but built from the original artwork) as the ENS Cats being the first minted that truly captures .eth + PFP culture in the art as we now know it. Thank you.

1 Like