Why not give ETH rent to ENS holders?

What Iā€™d be concerned about with giving eth-rent to $ENS-holders is that this would incentivize people to increasingly vote for more eth-rent to $ENS-holders, or in the case of profit-via-delegate that itā€™d incentivize selecting delegates whoā€™d vow to maximize profits.

I canā€™t see that benefiting ENS as a project, or ENS domain owners as users in the long run.

And I think the constitution was written the way it is precisely to try and avoid situations like that.

3 Likes

Since ens is erc-20 so natural, it can have a corresponding price. I think the main topic of this post is how to increase the price of ens, and it is within the scope of reasonable regulations. This is a problem that we need to consider , Although it is only for voting, haha

Yes price goes up as more people wanna control ENS network. Which is a motivation of control not profit. And this is bad. $ENS has nothing to do with ENS atm, no matter how many people buy ENS names the price will be the same. Until some people wants to race to take control over it. And something like ENS with these features certainly not gonna live for thousands of years. Too bad they have the .eth name. Iā€™m saying ā€œtheyā€ because itā€™s managed by people. Which is wrong for a basic naming service

Thatā€™s what is wrong about it. If something managed by people, its not truly decentralized.
ENS didnā€™t suppose to have this forum. ENS didnā€™t suppose to have DAO.

Some say ā€œBut ENS needs to change and improveā€. Itā€™s suppose to be a naming smart contract used by everyone and managed by nobody. Literally what can you change about a naming service?
You can add stuff like IPFS support or other things.
But those are suppose to be just separate projects, smart contracts talking with the ENS smart contract, which isnā€™t suppose to have any owner.

You are just hoping for this. But itā€™s just gonna bring people who wants to control it including you and others, you wanna shape it in your vision. This is wrong for something as simple as ENS.

I was excited about ENS, now Iā€™m just disappointed.

But now we have $ENS, so we need to fix it.
If you have something like $ENS itā€™s going to have some value, even your :poop: has a value. Your job is the make sure the value of $ENS represents the value of ENS. Otherwise its valuation is a broken. And corruptible from outside.

Donā€™t be evil.

1 Like