$30 to Register a Single Domain?

Definitely need to figure this out…
$30 to register a single domain for one year is a joke.
Someone should find a way to adopt XRP for payments,
or some other way to eliminate the gas fee;
its 5X the registration fees, so lame

2 Likes

The part of the third step costing so much is to bundle three transactions (register, set resolver, set record) into one transaction. Renewal will cost a lot lower, or you can register with multiple years if you don’t want to pay any extra gas every year.

We have pending task to add gas estimate on UI before the registration to manage your expectation.

1 Like

Thanks Makoto,

The FEE is great, like $5 for a basic domain, it’s great, it’s the gas fees that kill it. Got to ba a way around that I have a few hundred domains to buy.

UI to set accurate expectations is always central to the success/ mass adoption of anything, good to hear.

Yeah, just deployed a change to show gas price more explicitly.

Hope this makes it clearer.

1 Like

The gas fee to renew one domain for one year is $66.52. This is insane. No-one other than an ardent fanatic will use ENS domain name. This is completely unworkable in the real world.

2 Likes

For now. The only suggestion I can make is to renew multiple years so that you don’t have to pay it every year.

1 Like

Wow … first really excited about getting started and then reality hit, which I was not aware of like that.

Ends up being $130 to set it up with the multiple transaction steps…

Any work arounds for the gas fee?

Also … knowing the space, it could have been obvious to integrate the setup into one transaction rather than 3.

Would appreciate some feedback!

The need of step one and step three is there to prevent front running. The need for extra transaction to setup reverse record can be eliminated and we have a fix planned.

2 Likes

When is Ethereum going to finally get it together? As is it has no practical real life application/ use case. It cannot solve the Byzantine consensus problem, (it’s not a DAG), it isn’t equipped to play nice with web 3.0, it’s slow, its un-affordable aaaaaaaand I digress.

Man $250 for a domain, what a joke.