A suggestion for future MIN_REGISTRATION_DURATION and GRACE_PERIOD

Interesting thought on 2, and 1 digit names which I am sure at some point ENS will definitely be allowing; 1 month registrations for these domains are going to be catastrophic.

Keep in mind that anything decided here can be revisited in the future. In the event that 1 and 2 character names are allowed, and that theyā€™re so expensive annually so as to be prohibitive, the minimum registration duration could be reduced when that happens.

1 Like

Please clarify if you meant minimum renewal period instead of initial registration period?

Either, Iā€™m for both increasing the renewal period and registration period personally.

What Iā€™d personally like to see is a minimum renewal at: 90+ days
and a minimum registration at 1 year.

But my point was more that in the event that any of these decisions causes a future issue with 1 or 2 letter ENS names, that either decision can be revisited. This isnā€™t decided once and forever :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The main problem I have seen of people squatting on names is there was a heavy push of false info

It was getting pushed that you could rego for 0.1 year (even though it is 0.08) then have the 90 days Grace Period then rego on the last day and get another 0.1 year of rego

This brought in a load of people who canā€™t actually afford these names and were speculating that the market would go up and also they were paying for 0.1 year and getting 0.1 + 90 days

They did not realise they had to pay back the grace period used, before they could start to put actual rego on

I corrected as many as possible, but it was getting pushed very hard by someone

All these names will come back onto the market soon after the grace period ends so they can go to ā€˜companies that can use the namesā€™

I remember a spaces or some other medium at the end of 2021 that I listened to and the subject was brought up then, but the consensus was let it still be available, but not to talk about it or promote it and hope it doesnā€™t become a thing/problem, as at that time there was minimal use of it

Not regoā€™ing for a full year was used by the wallet that minted 131 NNN names, they now still hold 127, but has upgraded the rego since, Iā€™m guessing from the sales of the 4 names

Iā€™m not bothered what the system is, Iā€™ll adjust things to suit

All names have a chance of being low on rego length, it just happens that just now we are going through a period of time where there has been a lot of short regoā€™s made, this will pass and it will just be a normal thing happening all the time, but spread out through the year

1 Like