Email with ENS domain

I dont have any technical knowledge but I think it would be great to have an email address like that what-you-want@your-ens-domain.eth.link
It could be possible? Maybe ENS could collaborate with EthMail

2 Likes

Thanks for your suggestion. I think @brantlymillegan has spoken to a couple of notification providers but not quite sure what’s the latest status on whether we are integrating with anything.

1 Like

BTW, for reminder email for your renewal, you can add that from our page. https://medium.com/the-ethereum-name-service/receive-email-notifications-to-renew-your-eth-names-with-new-tool-from-buidlhub-72aaba226194

1 Like

Hi @lakatoi @matoken.eth, I’m Greg creator of ETHMail.cc, the address scheme [something]@your-domain.eth.link is definitely possible and I was thinking about it for quite some time. There are couple of important questions to answer before it can be done, eg. what this [something] will be and how users with define it? To what address should the mails be routed? Should the routing be somehow configurable or predefined? etc.

I was thinking of using subdomains in this scheme to have [subdomain]@[main domain].eth.link

Technically for every domain that should be target for emails [main domain].eth.link there has to exist MX record that points to ethmail (or some other provider) server. This could be done by allowing people to “enable/define” email provider for their domain, after which owner of eth.link would add MX records for particular ENS domain and email would start to be routed to designated email provider.

Let me know if we should coordinate to make it happen, I’ll be happy to provide the service. (Technically) I could do it one some random domain that I control, but I feel this should be done on eth.link or some other domain that is strictly controlled by ENS.

2 Likes

I like the scheme you suggest. It woud be great to have an email like that. I would definitely use it!

But I agree with you, I also think it should be done on eth.link.

Has this ever been integrated? Would love to use my eth URL as my email!

No, but with $ENS I believe we can work to submit a proposal to make it happen.

Email servers are fun to set up… I manage several myself.

However, I would like to see a L2 messaging system incorporating .eth domains. L2… because L1 is very expensive. The messaging smart contract could include a field for a link in IPFS or legacy webspace where the full text of the message is located. Several vendors could put up messaging platforms that are accessed just like DeFi at the moment. Each message could easily be E2E by default within the browser.

I completely agree with you.

However, despite the fact that is needed first a messaging system in the ethereum network, I strongly believe that ENS should be able to work as a bridge between this system and the traditional emails servers.

By now, emails are still one of the most important and used ways to communicate on the web. Because of that, I believe that if ENS could work as a getaway, as it already does for websites with eth.link, more users (average internet users with no knowledge on crypto nor blockchain) would adopt it.