Inspired by this Twitter conversation, here is my feedback based on supporting user issues day today.
Would be great if whoever considering the redesign take these into consideration.
I am aware that some of the problems/solutions are beyond the scope of UI redesign but put it there as it is likely to influence the new design.
Hard to register
This is the number 1 support request within our Discord support channel. We have made various improvements over the last 6 months but we are still getting these support request.
- Users don’t complete the whole step within 24 hours then the step gets reset.
- Users refresh the page and send transactions multiple times at step 1 before the transaction confirms leading to many failed transactions
Even though I understand the need of 3 steps model in theory, I wonder how effective the process is.
Users are not aware that they have to complete the second transaction (step 3) within 1 min to prevent front running so chances are the majority of new name registrations are already front-runnable, but no one does it or we don’t have a way to measure that.
I wonder if it’s better to get rid of this 3 step registration unless the prices are in premium (implying it’s higher value).
How to use IPFS+ENS?
- We used to have IPFS cloud integration but that has been disabled as the integration has been broken. The current UI has no indication/hint of how to set these up.
Confusing concept of “name ownership”
- There is no explanation of “Controller” and “Registrant” unless you see FAQ page.
- Transferring ownership requires 3 steps (Change the record, change controller, then change registrant) but that is not explained anywhere nor intuitive.
Changes made after the initial release.
- “Connect” button is added when we did wallet connect integration but the button is not visible on the home page on mobile view.
- “Set reverse record” was moved from /name page to /address page, and some people find it difficulties finding the UI as the link colour is grey.
- “Add/Edit” record is a link which is less visible than other buttons (transfer registrant, set controller, set resolver, etc), so people continuously ask how to change the address.
- “Learn how to manage your name” used to expand when users haven’t set resolvers. Now the resolvers get set on registration, the page never expands hence most people don’t notice the change.
Integrating subdomain registration (aka now.ens.domains) has been in our roadmap for a long time and we created a search page to handle both second-level domain and subdomain search.
However, the subdomain registration has constantly de-prioritised hence it has less value or rather confusing.
Support for old features
- Non-public resolver is not editable = If names don’t have the latest public resolvers, we currently urge users to upgrade, but it should still be editable where possible.
Increased gas cost and ETH price making people more sensitive to the gas cost
- When we batch some transactions (eg:
registerWithConfigwhich combines 3 transactions,
multiCallto update multiple records in a batch), that would increase the overall gas cost so some people request to expose the option not to use these features to save gas.