ENS Doc - Safe way of document sharing to any ETH wallet

ENS Doc - Share Doc to ENS domains/wallets simply and securely

Hi yā€™all!

This is Julie, ENS builder grant recipient in Q4 2022. I recently have built ENS Doc (https://doc3.me), a user friendly doc sharing app powered by ENS + IPFS + AES Encryption.

Project Updates

Whatā€™s Next?

1. Better security (signing thru metamask when try to access file)
  2. Have a table view to manage files that one shares.
  3. Possible integration with other DApp to help them streamline their file sharing process.

02/13/2022

Now subdomains rules for doc sharing, e.g. share to *.org3.eth (Every addresses that own a subdomains of org3.eth will be able to access it)
Update UIUX to ā€˜Simpleā€™ file sharing rather than ā€˜secureā€™ file sharing as pointed out by @trmidpoint that there are still different way to hack this.

Inspiration

When using google doc, I started wondering how to share this file with other ENS stewards in a secure and convenient way (now Iā€™m just making this docsā€™ link public). Most of time we donā€™t know each web3 fellowā€™s email address, and existing solutions like skiff are quite heavy, users need to sign up, create an account or an organization, etc. We lack a simple solution that users can just directly share the file by typing the right addresses/ENS name and share by a click.

Simple Product Experiences:

1. Go to https://doc3.me
  2. Connect Wallet (just connect, no sign up)
  3. Upload a file you want to share
  4. Type in the wallet holders you want to share this file to (Support ENS name and wallet addresses)
  5. Get the randomized link that looks like https://doc3.me/random123abc
  6. Share that link!

Whatā€™s cool about it

1. Simple: No need for sign up, simple three steps: upload file, type who to share, generate the link
  2. Security: After adding AES encryption & better API call structures, people without file access cannot intercept the real IPFS location that file is saved at. (Note you still need to trust this services as there is a backend that saved the meta data of the permission and the real IPFS location)

Demo video

1. Upload & Share
    ezgif.com-gif-maker (7)

2. POV people with access or without access using this link
    ezgif.com-gif-maker (8)

Feedback

If you have any feedback/questions, feel free to comment here or DM me on twitter (@julieshi_eth)/discord

Thanks

@gregskril @64bits.eth for frontend & safety advice, @serenae for dev advice on discord
@slobo.eth @alisha.eth @jefflau.eth @Coltron.eth for feedback!

13 Likes

This is awesome and deserves more attention.

5 Likes

Absolute :fire:

Would love to see the ENS twitter giving this some visibility

5 Likes

This amazing!!

2 Likes

This product is essential for the Web3 ecosystem.

1 Like

I love this and can see a ton of uses for it! Great work! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Loved seeing this at the Ecosystem WG call presentation!

Have you thought of applying to at least the small grants program?

Well done!

1 Like

That would be wonderful! yes I will consider applying for the next one!

1 Like

This is great! I did have a question on upload limits. There are websites like ā€œWeTransferā€ that let you upload say, up to 2GB. These sites are especially useful when you want to email a large file attachment to someone. eg. Gmail sending limit is 25mb. Instead of attachments, the recipient just receives a download link in email.

Do you see this being able to have the same capability/meet a usecase like those web2 services? Like a web3 alternative using ENS and Ethereum infrastructure?

Great work again, and excited to see more of what you come up with! :clap:

2 Likes

Hey Zadok! Thank you for this suggestion.

I am thinking definitely placing an upper limit of uploaded file size. I think the use case you said is definitely a potential use case! But I was more of thinking about the scenario that web3 people donā€™t really know each othersā€™ email (but definitely doable in an email scenario). But one takeaway is that I am thinking adding email features in the future for sure, for example the host getting notified if someone opened the link and downloaded the file

2 Likes

That is truly amazing!

Feature updateā¬‡ļø

1. Now subdomains rules for doc sharing, e.g. share to *.org3.eth (Every addresses that own a subdomains of org3.eth will be able to access it)
  2. Update UIUX to ā€˜Simpleā€™ file sharing rather than ā€˜secureā€™ file sharing as pointed out by @trmidpoint that there are still different way to hack this.

Whatā€™s Next?

1. Better security (signing thru metamask when try to access file)
  2. Have a table view to manage files that one shares.
  3. Possible integration with other DApp to help them streamline their file sharing process.

Feel free to me know how you like this new feature and how you think about what should come up next. :smile:

Twitter thread to keep track of the update: https://twitter.com/julieshi_eth/status/1625274515688398848

4 Likes

Hello everyone! ENS Doc is on Round 4 Ecosystem Small Grants Round: ENS Small Grants If you like this project, you can vote for it! :blue_heart:

Correction: Voting just started :smiley:

3 Likes

Dear friends,

Here is a small features update:
Now support goerli testnet at: https://goerli.doc3.me/
Note: for subnames group only support 3LD! Feel free to integrate it with your projects on testnetšŸ’™

3 Likes

Hey yā€™all! Here is an update of the new logo :arrow_up: How do you guys like it?
Several other runner-ups of the new logo:

4 Likes

I like it!

1 Like