𓃕𓃕𓃕.eth not resolving properly. Could I be refunded for this name?

Sorry, no refunds.

So basically just I was sold a non functional product from what I understand?

Yeah great, hope you guys make good use of my fucking life savings.

It was a registration, not a sale. This is a known issue though. There is unfortunately no refund mechanism.

Thanks Webster. I love how consensus just silently changed the reclaim mechanism and screwed out all of the smaller investors like me. Wonderful.

1 Like

Yeah unfortunately, for me, not for you though. Thanks for everything. If only you knew what it was like being poor.

1 Like

I did not understand your comment, sorry. Can you explain a bit?

1 Like

Nah I’m done here, if you’re even on the ENS team and not a troll. May as well bring my new funds elsewhere, I’m done registering names.

1 Like

Good luck!

1 Like

How was I supposed to know these characters wouldn’t work properly? If they’re illegal characters then why not just block the registry??? Oh wait, I know why, free money for you! Makes zero sense. “Good luck” lol yeah no thanks I don’t want your wishes, you already did enough for me.

1 Like

Some characters were not illegal at the start but they have been made illegal over time due to many compatibility and resolution issues (e.g. in browsers). Many names are thus rendered useless on third party platforms. I have one too. It is what it is; no one knew at the start. We all poor here.

1 Like

I’m sorry, I’m a bit argumentative, I’d rather have a productive discussion than an angry one. I’m sorry to hear that mate, I just wish I did a bit more research/logical thought processing before I made any decisions.

3 Likes

Don’t worry about it :slight_smile: Your name still exists on-chain and there is possibility of it resolving once name normalisation kicks in. I am a noob on this matter though, so no guarantees. Wait and watch

2 Likes

Good luck sir, hope it works out in the end. I was sad to see such an aesthetic domain go to waste :frowning:

2 Likes

Some nice work there, @inplco :slight_smile:

1 Like

That is due to a known issue in the ENS metadata service: https://github.com/ensdomains/ens-metadata-service/issues/71

Currently the metadata service is incorrectly labeling all sorts of valid characters as invalid.

Devs are working on updating the normalization rules for ENS: ENS Name Normalization - #90 by raffy

The code is not final, but you can get a good idea of what will be considered valid with this live demo tool: ENS Resolver

That name 𓃕𓃕𓃕.eth was valid before, and looks like it will remain valid:

So most likely after the normalization changes are finalized and rolled out everywhere, the metadata for your name should be fixed, and OpenSea/etc should be able to list it with no problems!

FYI there are cases of other names that will be invalid after the changes (like your primary name ☥☥☥). I don’t think anything has been finalized or announced yet, but I expect that ENS will issue refunds for such names. That is one of the objectives laid out by the lead dev here: ENS Name Normalization - #20 by nick.eth

1. Where a new function affects the normalisation of an existing name under (1), ENS should register the new normalisation and configure it as a duplicate of the previous name where possible. Where this is not possible, ENS should refund the user any registration costs, and make best efforts to make the user aware of the upcoming change.

2. Where a new function makes previously valid labels invalid, and there are affected names that aren’t clearly abusive, ENS should refund those users their registration fees, and make best efforts to make the user aware of the upcoming change.

3 Likes

What a shame if ☥☥☥ would be invalid. I am happy to see you guys are aware of these issues within ENS, I’m genuinely excited to see what becomes of the service.

I am hoping that the registration fee would if possible reverse the transaction, in a sense including gas as I had paid anywhere from 900 to 1,500 extra in USD valuation.

Thank you for your insight.

Technically it is disallowed by IDNA 2008. At a glance, I thought it was a gender symbol, but it is Ankh (Egyptian hieroglyphic symbol for “life”).

One possible issue is that ☥ [2625] (Common script) is confusable with 𐦞 [1099E] (in Meroitic Hieroglyph script) and 𓋹 132F9 (in Egyptian Hieroglyph script), which are both allowed.

However, all three variants when solo repeated (☥☥☥, 𐦞𐦞𐦞, 𓋹𓋹𓋹) will likely be disallowed unless we make a confusable exception because they’re whole-script confusable.

I’ve added it to a list of symbols that need attention.

2 Likes

I’ve got a similar issue on 𓃽𓃽𓃽.eth. Registered this thing in November 2021; well before the discussion on normalization etc. It shows as “normalized” on the adraffy github but it doesn’t display on either the ENS website or on Opensea etc. For all intents and purposes I’ve had an unmodifiable, unsellable, 3-character ENS since November 2021. Unclear if the normalization discussion will fix any of this, but even if it does, I’ll have lost 80%+ of my annual registration (assuming it does, in fact, get fixed within the next month or so).

I really hope refunds for affected users are under consideration.

I am not so sure that there will be no refunds for name normalization issues. I think this actually will come up for a vote in the DAO at some point. So stay tuned.