I mistakenly sent my ENS name to the contract address, can I get my ENS back?

Recently, when I transferred my ENS name on opensea, the domain name was transferred to the official ENS contract address due to contract interaction issues. Transaction hashes are 0x5a80e4d61764a0474956693473527a7d06b6f6760b3b9dd731abfcb6dce8a745. If I’m willing to pay for gas, can I get my ENS name back?
It’s very important to me and I love it. I would like to ask the community to discuss how to deal with this situation, if the domain name remains in the contract address permanently, and I have been renewing it for use, who should own it in the end? It’s going to be a very tricky problem, and I think the best thing to do is to send it to its original owner, who pays for the gas. This is my proposal and I hope the community will consider and discuss it.

1 Like

The ens name is kkk.eth, which has a very high value and scarcity, I bought it from opensea at a great expense, it was my brainchild, and I worried about it day and night. Hopefully, the community will take it seriously, and I will wait for a reply.

Sorry this happened to you. I think first we should see if it is even possible to send it back, I’m not sure.

1 Like

Okay, you first see if it’s possible, thank you very much for your help.

1 Like

You made me see hope, from the time the problem happened to the present, the people in the community I met are very enthusiastic, they selflessly help me answer, I love this community, there is a web 3.0 spirit. Thank you again, thank you to the community.

I don’t think it can be done readily, meaning willy-nilly. You sent the NFT (kkk.eth) to the Registrar contract which is locked by the Root contract which can be unlocked only by the MultiSig contract. Perhaps at some point, there might come an occasion to unlock the Registrar for unknown reasons at which point all the NFTs and tokens that were mistakenly sent to the Registrar can be reclaimed. But take this information with a bucket of salt; I am not the expert in this. This is only my naive understanding of the ENS contracts. Perhaps @AvsA can comment on this since he recently looked into the contract interactions. Someone had recently sent an ENS name meant for their wife (I believe) to the ENS Registrar contract as well. It is still there.

Theoretically, I believe it is possible to unlock the Registrar from what I can gather from Avsa’s map of ENS contracts here: https://ipfs.io/ipfs/QmTU7GXZN6iT5dajsPq8FaeGv2iQziDt6pqWUTcY5XEovE

The most likely path to get this done will be to initiate a proposal via a delegate who represents you. If you have ENS tokens, your delegate is your best path forward with a proposal to unlock the Registrar. This is all very very theoretical though.

If you do not have a delegate or cannot reach them, I can initiate a proposal for you for the price of 1 ETH. Is that fair price for my lobbying? (I am joking; this is for a case study that I want to put forward to the ENS DAO using an example of your problem; it might end up helping you, who knows)

Edit: the MultiSig is currently not with the DAO since it is… MultiSig and not DAOSig. So I am not so sure in the end but there is a theoretical path

2 Likes

oh,my god!Thank you very much!

1 Like

God bless you, if you can help me get this ens name back, I really want to repay you well.

The day I lost my domain, I stayed up all night, and I was so uncomfortable that I spent another 6eth to buy iii.eth. kkk.eth I’ve had it for 5 months and he’s like my kid lost.

1 Like

@serenae Example of a bad actor (me) taking advantage of support ticket for their monetary gain and lobbying for an executable on-chain proposal. Even if I take no direct hush money for lobbying, I am still in breach of ethics since there could be indirect benefits to me from the unlocking of the Registrar (if possible). There is no way to be sure which is why the only way to stop such actions is to cut lobbying itself. If I was a good actor, I will simply initiate their proposal. If I was a good, compliant and conscious actor with influence, I will recommend their proposal to the DAO, declare the possible conflict of ethics and step away. I figured this was a good moment to show why we should discourage lobbying.

1 Like

Let’s see what others have to say. Keep your fingers crossed

1 Like

Okay, thank you very much!

There is no way to unlock a locked TLD. I’m afraid the name is unrecoverable until it expires.

2 Likes

What if I keep renewing it?

Good to know. I took the presence of lock() to assume that perhaps there’d be an unlock() too but I guess not

I think the problem always has to be solved, you can’t wait for this ens name to expire, if you keep renewing, it can’t expire.

If it’s theoretically possible, can you help me launch a proposal? Let the community vote on what to do.

He is saying it is not possible, sorry about that. The only way to recover it would be to allow it to expire. That’s means you don’t want to keep renewing it because then it will take longer to expire.

It is not possible even theoretically. I was wrong to assume that there will be an unlock() method but there isn’t. Really really sorry

1 Like