Inexplicable take by brantly.eth

While I donā€™t agree with @brantlymillegan, I disagree with your conclusion that one who condemns acts they believe to be evil also believes the person committing those acts to be evil. There are many facets to a person. You can condemn one part of a personā€™s life or choices without condemning the whole. Further, @brantlymillegan may just be expressing his sincerely held religious beliefs, consistent with his faith. Similarly, condemning @brantlymillegan for those beliefs and treating him as, somehow, an evil person would also be fallacious.

Nevertheless, we are entitled to have an opinion as to those beliefs and voice our objection, as I have done. What one may conclude is that @brantlymillegan used extremely poor judgment in expressing those beliefs in a public way that is likely to caused a negative perception of TNL, DAO, and ENS, because he failed to make clear that his tweets were not in his role as a spokesperson for TNL, DAO, or ENS, and, more importantly, it was reckless conduct, as he knew or should have known, that his tweets would have a negative impact on ENS, if the reader could not discern a distinct separation between personal beliefs and ENSā€™s core values. To cancel him or censure him as a group could be viewed as being inconsistent with our decentralized nature, as it becomes a slippery slope of monitoring conduct deemed to be offensive. Any consequence to be suffered must be consistent with our Constitution and Code of Conduct.

3 Likes

Mike drop. It would be nice if everyone would swallow their pride and look at this objectively. @brantlymillegan messed up. He should apologize. Not for holding his beliefs, but for the reasons mentioned right here by @berrios.eth If he canā€™t do that we likely have a problem. Ball is really in his court.

5 Likes

ā€˜Cancel cultureā€™ is democracy itself in action and calling it exactly that shows poor judgement. However, that is probably the least poor judgement of many of the judgements issued here today so I can personally give it a pass. If you call it cancel culture, you do not deserve a response because no one owes you one. A mob is a mob until it is not; then it becomes civil reform.

There is no slippery slope. It is a 90 degree straight down into pure utter incompetence and gross ineptitude.

1 Like

Mic* drop bro. Dropped out of Kindergarten?
He defended pedophilia and rape. I am talking civil liability in an ongoing crisis around the world. He aint coming with his apology. He laughed at those who offered him a chance at one 12387349 times yesterday.

1 Like

Alrighty well have fun doing whatever it is you think youā€™re doing.

I am opening a vote for the DAO to decide as a delegate. Thatā€™s about it. I do not decide what happens. If DAO decides to keep him, Iā€™ll have to suck it up, admit that I was wrong against a majority of the people here in this ecosystem, and keep chugging along to build. Thatā€™s how it works in a grown up world.

1 Like

Who is ā€œHeā€? I am merely pointing out fallacious reasoning. I have clearly voiced my opinion. Cancel culture is not democracyā€“nothing has been put to a vote.

Makes me wonder if youā€™d stop using ethereum if I showed you some of vitalikā€™s tweets from a few years ago

He needs to step down before the vote and ENS twitter needs to get to crafting a tweet clarifying that they donā€™t hold these views. It looks like heā€™s positioning himself to double down and go into the victim role himself. Itā€™s about business and PR and not being reckless and incendiary with your words given your position.

It appears like Brantly is looking to make it now about religious persecution and free speech and cancel culture, does ENS want him as director ops while he publicly fights his religious battles with all of web3? He can do that without representing the face of ENS as a web3 platform. Please step down and quit digging your hole deeper and dragging ENS into it @brantlymillegan

1 Like

Of course not. I wouldnā€™t stop using ENS if he stays. Civil reform requires persistence. Same for Vitalik. Plus, Vitalik philosophises. Brantly hates. Massive difference. Lastly, Brantly =/= ENS

Brantly has issued a statement. To anyone who was waiting for an apology: rekt

ENS is a decentralized protocol for on-chain name register, itā€™s not some typical corporate entity that changes their twitter pictures to rainbow for one month just so lqbt mob can see their virtue signaling and get the message that they are ā€œpart of the tribeā€. Brantly sticking to his values it not ā€œdoubling downā€, itā€™s being a human, a man, not changing his nature under social pressure. Him being traditional Christian has nothing to do with immutable on-chain smart contract system known as ENS. For all you should know he is just an ethereum address and his existence is represented by 20 bytes in eth realm.

@vbuterin has done a lot to promote ENS at every chance he has. He has touched on controversial issues before but he uses thorough logic to open a dialogue or express a viewpoint and heā€™s not careless with his position or words in this regard. Brantly appears to like the drama and provocation and attention and this is problematic for ENS as a business. It looks like he wants to turn this into a holy war with the way heā€™s doubling down.

1 Like

If they exist, letā€™s see them. Then weā€™ll see whether or not Vitalik doubles down on them.

1 Like

This is beyond disgusting.

Please continue this discussion here. Consolidating related topics.