Legal right to claim ENS if you have the correspondent DNS

Dear All,
Hope someone can help to clarify the post below.

"If I own myname.xyz DNS name, can I claim for myname.eth ?
“Under DNSSEC integration, you can only claim for the correspondent ENS name with the same top level domain (TLD). .eth is managed completely separately.”

for the sake of clarity an example:

We know that Google is a trademark and the company also owns the domain “google.com”

let’s say that Google forgets to register the .eth version on the ENS, and someone else instead registers the name “google” , so now that someone else is the owner of the ethereum name “google.eth”.

From the post above I understood that Google cannot claim ownership of google.eth

Am I wrong?

Thank you in advance
Valentino

Under DNSSEC integration, you can only claim for the correspondent ENS name with the same top level domain

If you own myname.xyz, you can claim the ENS name myname.xyz, not the ENS name myname.eth. From the ENS’s point of view, myname.xyz and myname.eth are two separate and unrelated names.

3 Likes

Thanks,
so I understand then that if I own “myname.xyz” and I claim it on ENS I will only be able to have “myname.xyz.eth”

Hope that I am correct

No. Just as on the normal DNS myname.xyz, myname.com and myname.xyz.com are 3 separate domain names, on the ENS myname.xyz, myname.eth and myname.xyz.eth are 3 separate domain names.

If you own myname.xyz on DNS, you will be able to claim myname.xyz on ENS. Once you have made the claim, pointed it to your wallet address, set the ENS reverse records, etc. and services start supporting ENS properly, I will be able to go to MetaMask and send 1 ETH to myname.xyz for example, and you would receive it, our you would be able to visit https://etherscan.io/address/myname.xyz and see your transactions.

Got it now, thank you for taking the time to clarify this matter.
Best
V

1 Like