Lifetime domain by NFT like unstoppbledomains

Hello,

what do you think of this https://unstoppabledomains.com/?

Here the people buy one time the domain and have the control of it lifetime by NFT.

Now ENS (.eth) is NFT but require continue renew and the very problem dont is the 5$ but the gas that in most case is very expansive.

2 Likes

The renewals are for the long-term health of the namespace.

5 Likes

Hello Leon, yes but in this mode have a domain is more expansive. No lifetime? Ok, but 10-20 years old with one registration, after that if expired return to ENS.

1 Like

That’s how the current system works. You can register for multiple years at registration so some people do register 10,100, or even 1000 years.

1 Like

Hello, yes but unstoppbledomains pay one time for lifetime, ENS dont is lifetime. For me is a very good incentive for expand the public and the use (mass adoption).

1 Like

Just because our competitor use one time fee isn’t the convincing reason that we should do as well. The system may encourage more purchase but may also encourage squatting which we want to prevent

4 Likes

I used to think that same thing, too, but: No, there MUST be an expiration date.

If the private keys holding the “rose.crypto” NFT is lost, then that name will be lost forever. (No other domain would smell as sweet.) If Blockchain Domains are lost over a factor of time, …then the “liquidity pool” of NFTs would decrease, and this would harm all users (current & future); and damage the quality of the network effect.

The reoccurring fees helps all ENS names, by helping the protocol, …by having a mechanism to reintroduce “lost” NFTs, (back into the “liquidity pool” of ENS names).

NOTE: I think the RISK is: IF , the seven ENS Keyholders increase registration costs, “at all”, …or change the rules of registration, requirements, or ownership.

Crypto is not about Fast or Cheap,
…It is about immutability & community.
The fast & cheap are great, but Immutability & Community are Primary Keys.

6 Likes

For this exact reason we forked ENS and created https://foreverdomains.io

All code is open source: https://github.com/imperviousinc

You can register a .forever domain and never have to renew it.

Even better it uses real DNS and you can resolve it using https (TLSA) without even needing to trust a Certificate Authority!

Easy to resolve the names using our open source resolver called Fingertip: Impervious | Fingertip

1 Like

Since you can pay ahead as many years as you want, you can pay once and have a .eth name for life. ENS also gives you the option to pay less to try out a name for a shorter period of time.

5 Likes

You can also get a free or cheap subdomain at now.ens.domains or ensportal.com and only pay gas fees once, with no renewals ever.

3 Likes

I want to agree but can’t. Domains are someone’s identity and should not be able to be taken away from them even if they can’t pay the renewal fees. The ENS foundation needs to find ways to provide value add services that will incentivize payments or donations.

If ownership is going to be an absolute right, it can’t be taken away even if you can’t pay renewal fees. I get you can pay a huge amount upfront, but not many can do that.

2 Likes

There are plenty of free and cheap subdomains that you can register at now.ens.domains or ensportal.com where you never have to pay a renewal fee.

1 Like

unstoppable domains is garbage, just another centralized fraud and cant be compare to ENS.
I was bought myname.eth in permissionless way, when I tried same thing on UD they first put wanted domain by protected (not taken) and after two weeks they sell .wallet domain with personal names for 9890$. Lifetime is just marketing created for USP. I will rather pay 500$ gas fee because you cant live long enough for UD ROI

I get it… but… If ownership is going to be an absolute right, it can’t be taken away even if you can’t pay renewal fees. No matter what. Let’s not take the easy way out.

so. register. longer. How long do you expect? 100 years? 500? How long do you think your wealth will last once you’re gone? Be real, what happens when you pass away to your address? What happens when over 100 million people who now have addresses pass away with single payment? Seriously. What sense do you think you make? What is a “right” really but just a statement that you’re currently alive. Rights? In the afterlife? You get a last will. Make it count.

1 Like

My identity is my identity forever. Now, the day after I pass, 500 years after I pass, N years after I pass.

1 Like

UD is a centralized company with web3/blockchain/crypto marketing which main goal is suck out money from people. This company has no connection with Web3 ideology in any segment, their business model is very simple:

• buy TLDs with the sector keywords
  • sell short and personal label SLD to customers - with huge premium
  • partnership with wallet providers for integrations
  • using “lifetime” ownership as Unique Selling Point (which is blockchain feature, not UD)

With lifetime feature they dont have any responsibility after domain names migrate on blockchain. I appreciate their strategy and trend recognition from a business perspective but I don’t understand how anyone can compare them to ENS or HNS.

your identity is not 1’s and 0’s. It never has been, and it never will be. Keep dreaming future man. Once you’re gone, your “data” in this world becomes less and less valuable to this world as days/weeks/months/years go by. Why do you think we want you clogging up whoismoses.eth in the blockchain for 300 years after you’re gone. you still get your address, that’s yours. nobody in this space ever promised you immortality. Stop thinking like someone did.

Don’t be a dick. Just because we have different opinions doesn’t mean you need to try to insult people.

Right now the proposed constitution reads, “Name ownership is an absolute right.”

I am not saying that I agree or not with that. I’m just just stating that if the constitution reads that way, you can’t take it away, NO MATTER WHAT. You start making compromises like this, soon you will be making much bigger ones.