Nextcloud over IPFS?

I don’t know if this is possible yet, as IPFS only supports static content as far as I know. Is this still the case? Or can I actually host a Nextcloud home server over IPFS with ENS?

You should check with IPFS team but yes, IPFS is a file system so only hosts static asset files (js/html/css/img/video, etc). Don’t know what Nextcloud is but I doubt you can

Well Nextcloud requires a database, I certainly don’t believe it’s static. It’s an open source Do It Yourself Dropbox. Do you know of any way that I can set my ENS domain name to resolve to my Static IP address of my home server?

No . ENS has so called text field to set anything you like,but so you can put IP addresses there but no browser will resolve it as IP address.

Alright, I really don’t understand how I’m suppose to use ENS as an alternative to DNS if I can’t resolve it to my IP address.

ENS is not built as an alternative to DNS. It started as a way to assign name to crypto addresses such as ETH, BTC,DOGE. You can put other records hence we support IPFS and Swarm.

You could use something like https://handshake.org (which is aiming to replace DNS root aka ICANN, not necessarily DNS itself) but not many browsers support them at this moment afaik.

1 Like

Oh I see, alright I’ll check out Handshake. I have looked into using Emercoin but it appears to be out of date.

I think Emercoin will be my only option, I just find it easier to install and get running on Windows, so I’ll probably use Windows Server 2019 where I’ll also hopefully be able to set up an NNTP server for Usenet. Could you private message me? I’d love to ask you some more questions about ENS, you’ve been very helpful and you seem nice.

Do you know how the traditional domains work with ENS? If you add a traditional domain to your ENS, what happens? Does your traditional domain resolve to your ENS domain or does your ENS domain resolve to your traditional domain?

Don’t quite understand your question but I am guessing it’s about this.

By submitting the proof that you own example.com (which you can do with a technique called DNSSEC), you can have example.com as ENS name which you can set Ethereum Address to.

The prime example is https://app.ens.domains/name/argent.xyz

They set their ethereum address under _ens.argent.xyz and sent the proof into ENS smart contract so we set the ownership of argent.xyz into 0xC4BaAbB5b7DFF84Aa8023183E3Ca0bA3B2Fee519

$dig TXT _ens.argent.xyz

; <<>> DiG 9.10.6 <<>> TXT _ens.argent.xyz
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 27310
;; flags: qr rd ra ad; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 4096
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;_ens.argent.xyz.		IN	TXT

;; ANSWER SECTION:
_ens.argent.xyz.	300	IN	TXT	"a=0xC4BaAbB5b7DFF84Aa8023183E3Ca0bA3B2Fee519"

;; Query time: 40 msec
;; SERVER: 192.168.1.254#53(192.168.1.254)
;; WHEN: Wed Aug 05 19:09:21 BST 2020
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 101

So if you’ve done that, will it redirect to your ENS domain name, and only work if you’ve got MetaMask installed?

argent.xyz is the ENS name the owner 0xC4Ba.. can set Ethereum address. You can put ipfs on that but if you are using DNS domain as ENS name, there isn’t much point using ENS altogether.

IPFS integration only makes sense for .eth name as you can also access via .eth.link like http://noahzinsmeister.eth.link/ if you use argent.xyz then you should just host a static file on the hosting provider resolved to the domain.

I think you are mixed up the usage of ENS for resolving Eth address and resolving IPFS hash (for serving website) a bit.

I don’t think ENS is a good use for the original use case you described (hosting web2.0 style dynamic site). ENS is more for hosting web3 dapps (static file on IPFS, dynamic content on Ethereum smartcontract).