Retrospective 2x airdrop multiplier application process for "unfortunate edge cases"

That seems like a good idea to me. We will at least need to outline a process if there’s going to be any amendments to the airdrop even the first time, right? Maybe the proposal could outlines both parts - how to submit an appeal if you think you qualify, and also how any newly discovered [qualifying] edge cases will be reimbursed.

1 Like

I think the only reasonable argument for a change is that the intent of the airdrop deviated from the implementation - as it arguably is in this case. I don’t think this is going to be an ongoing process, and I don’t think there’s much point in creating a process that encourages people to submit ‘appeals’ over what they think they should have gotten.

3 Likes

Well i totally agree what @greypixel and @nick.eth said. We discussed motives and values, but it is obvious that there are some problems with the 2x airdrop. We are working hard to state the facts and follow ENS DAO’s guidelines and governance processes. This is the most meaningful thing.

so what’s next step? maybe we should move to phase 2 to draft proposal on Draft Proposals - ENS DAO Governance Forum right?

1 Like

I need to see full proposal with exact criteria for retroactive airdrop, as it stands now I’m 50:50 on this.

After reading, I’m in favor of the proposal.

I think there are always edge case and it’s fair to find the ones that feel according to the spirit of the rules but for technical reasons weren’t accounted for. Also, I believe setting your primary name as different than the owner is a legitimate use case (say the primary name is in your mobile wallet but the actual owner is a multisig or hardware wallet).

I expect we will see more edge cases in the future and if we start getting boggled down in exotic edge cases in which it’s not even clear that who is to blame, I will probably vote to end up any new airdrop corrections.

1 Like

I’d be in support of this. I think one should look more to intent than to execution. If ENS team originally did not intend to exclude this group of users, but they were merely missed in execution, I dont see why we couldn’t include them.

It doesnt seem to me we are rewarding invalid users or farmers here, but legitimate users. In other words, we have a chance to welcome more active ENS users to support the protocol as originally intended.

Full Disclosure: I will not benefit from this proposal.

1 Like

I am in favour of this proposal, I think these edge cases most likely satisfy the spirit of the ENS airdrop process. I also had a reverse record set long before the airdrop but I had to remove it for a while for privacy concerns (got 2x multiplier). Many people experimented with this feature in some form, and these interactions are aligned with the ENS ethos I believe.

Isn’t the real question is what was the intended policy? Is the policy to intended reward active users, or is the policy intended to reward accounts with the primary ENS name set to the same account?

I believe the policy was to reward active users and the latter was just the attempted method to enact it.

To me it makes no sense for the policy to have been “only accounts with primary name set to their self get 2x bonus” as there are plenty of reasons why you may have the reverse record pointing to a different account. It could be argued that people with the reverse record pointing to a different account are more active users since they have more addresses involved with their ENS, instead of 1 address.

If the policy was to reward active users and this was not done, why is it not fair to compensate the people who were missed?

Any update to the ENS system in general will cause a rise in support queries. If its the right/best thing to do it should be done regardless of the support implications. We as a community can surely help manage some of the support queries when we are sitting about in the discord.

If we go by a rule were mistakes cannot be corrected then wouldn’t that bring even more uncertainty? What happens when its something that many more users then this issue? Would we simply tell the majority of users “sorry we did it this way first so that is that, tough luck.”? I would be far more uncertain in the future of ENS knowing that once an action has been taken it cannot be corrected.

If uncertainty and ambiguity are major concerns for ENS, then surely the DAO is the worst thing ever? The DAO its self has created so much uncertainty and ambiguity since now anyone can put a proposal forward, the delegates can interpret it how they choose, and then the proposal may or may not be enacted. Both the point about support and the point about uncertainty and ambiguity don’t hold much weight to me, since it could be argued that literally anything the DAO does will cause a rise in all 3 of those factors.

Uncertainty and ambiguity are naturally going to arise when a protocol moves from being manged by a central team to a DAO. But over time the DAO could alleviate these concerns by showing it can act in a fair and just manner, proving to people that it can actually govern the protocol with good intentions.

I am in full support of @greypixel’s proposal and would like to see the 1,969 accounts affected by the method of collecting the list of active users (which i am not one of), receive an equal reward as everybody else for being active users.

5 Likes

Any update to the ENS system in general will cause a rise in support queries. If its the right/best thing to do it should be done regardless of the support implications. We as a community can surely help manage some of the support queries when we are sitting about in the discord.

@Karp I volunteered as support on ENS discord for sometime now, your help will be kindly appreciated, if you know your MM and can find your way around complicated situations I’m pretty sure that your help will be welcome

Also bring a lot of patience :smiley:

Awesome, thank you for your service! Its good to know there are community members dedicating time to this. Maybe there could be some form of compensation from the treasury for community members who spend lot of time helping in the support channel? It feels like support staff should be a paid position, what is the current situation @nick.eth?

I always try to help when I’m online, why wouldn’t you if your online and see a question you can answer? However I wont be around much for the next few months as I am starting a new job. Since your asking for my help though, does that mean you are now in favour of this proposal despite the potential increase in support queries?

no, I’m not in favour, I still think voting yes on proposal which has net negative impact on community doesn’t make sense

1 Like

Closing this; please continue discussion on the draft proposal.

1 Like