Steward Nominations - ENS Public Goods Working Group (Term 5, Calendar 2024)

Nominations for the 5th ENS DAO Steward Term (Calendar 2024) will open on December 6th.

Most of processes will be identical to previous elections, with the exception of the new Term Length of 1 year that was voted in via this proposal.

If you would like to nominate yourself to be an ENS Public Goods Working Group Steward for the calender year 2024 period (Term 5), please complete the steps outlined below:

Nomination Steps

Step 1

Forum: Reply to this post with the following information:

• Link to Snapshot: (fill this in after Step 2)
  • Preferred Name and/or ENS name:
  • Forum username:
  • Twitter profile link (optional):
  • Why do you want to be a Steward of this Working Group?
  • Any other information you wish to share with Delegates (e.g. potential conflicts or existing engagements)

Step 2

Snapshot: Create a Snapshot vote in the ENS WG Steward Nomination space HERE. Select “New Proposal” and use the following template:

Template
Title: [[Name of Working Group]] Nominate [your preferred name or ENS name]

• Example: [Meta-Governance] Nominate 5pence.eth

Body: Copy and paste your forum reply from above which includes:

• Your preferred name/ENS name
  • Forum username
  • Twitter profile link (optional)
  • Why do you want to be a Steward of this Working Group?
  • Any other information you wish to share with Delegates (e.g. potential conflicts or existing engagements)

Vote Timing
Select the start date and time of December 6 at 9am UTC.
Select the end date of December 9. The time will automatically be set to end at the same time the proposal starts (which should be 9am UTC).

Please note, Snapshot will use your current timezone to set the time. Please convert 9am UTC into your local timezone when setting up your proposal.

For reference: 9am UTC = 5am ET / 2am PT / 10am BST / 11am CEST

Any nominations submitted to the forum prior to the start of the nomination window will become active when the nomination window opens on December 6. All votes to support a Steward nomination must be made during the nomination window.

Step 3

After successfully nominating yourself to be a Steward, you require 10k votes in support of your nomination on Snapshot between December 6 - 9.

Any nominee with 10k votes supporting their Steward nomination will be included in the ballot for the Steward election of the relevant Working Group.

Steward Elections

Anyone who completes the steps in the “Nominations Steps” section above will be included on the ballot for election. Steward elections will use approval voting.

Election begins: 9am UTC on December 10
Election ends: 9am UTC on December 15

Gitcoin Passport

If you have trouble submitting a proposal on Snapshot, please make sure you set up Gitcoin Passport first. You can set up your Gitcoin passport at passport.gitcoin.co.

Video Walkthrough

Before creating a Snapshot vote, please watch this video walkthrough of the process.

Questions

If you have any questions about the Steward election or nominations, or if you need help setting up your Snapshot vote, please comment below or DM 5pence.eth on Twitter.

Forum Write-Access

In order to nominate yourself as a Steward, you must have write-access to all of the categories in the governance forum. Please submit the Participant Request form if you require write-access. If you have submitted the form and have not received a response it is because there is an invalid entry in your form. Please DM me on Twitter (@5pence_eth) to follow up with issues.

5 Likes

Snapshot Endorsement

ENS name: simona.eth
Forum username: @simona_pop
Twitter: @Sim_Pop

Why do you want to be a steward of this Working Group:

I continue to be deeply committed to transforming the approach to public goods (PG) in the broader ecosystem. We still talk about it and don’t do enough about it. I would like to improve the work started this term with the PG workstream but far expand upon it.

Given my extensive background working towards PG funding experimentation and my current role as advisor to key public goods proponents, I continue to bring a broad and complex perspective to the matter. An extended stewardship term will hopefully enable me to dive into long term strategy work vs short term deployment of funding.

Contributions and Credentials:

As a testament to my broader commitment to PG, I advised on the frENS Day event (hopefully coming to fruition in 2024) where I had earmarked a full day track focused around PG conversations. My role as Schelling Point creative director 2021- Q1 2023 puts me in a unique position to advise and creatively support impactful initiatives in terms of PG discourse and prominence.

Background and Experience:

As above regarding broader advisory + former ENS Meta Gov steward for two terms and one term as PG steward. This background solidifies my understanding of the challenges and opportunities within our ecosystem and should help ENS in achieving its overall PG mission and intents.

6 Likes

Edit: SOLVED

gm, I’m trying to publish my application at Snapshot but I’m getting a message for proposal limit reached.

I have my gitcoin passport setup as you can see in my profile

I believe the problem is the Snapshot space is not verified, which faces issues with the new snapshot policies and only allows for 5 proposals to be available.

This can be solved by requesting the verification in this form

I imagine Metagov WG should have a contact to speed this up and get it working in a few minutes, if you don’t, reach me at telegram @zeugh and I can try to intro. I’m available to support solving this if needed as I know timezones are not ideal for American based stewards right now and I expect most applicants to have no understanding of the issue if they face it.

I’m making another comment here with my application with no Snapshot link for now as we wait to hear back.

2 Likes

Link to Snapshot
ENS name: zeugh.eth
Forum username: @zeugh.eth
Twitter profile link (optional): @ZeughFromCanu

Why do you want to be a Steward of this Working Group?

tl;dr - My previous experience can support good decision making; I’m fully dedicated to the improvement of human coordination; I think it’s a good chance to help important blocks get built in the open; I want to support ENS DAO to choose wisely and support the chosen projects beyond the funding.

Reasoning:

• ENS is as a vital piece of Ethereum’s ecosystem usability and capacity for growth.
  • I view the Public Goods WG as a chance to use my skills to help mature ENS DAO and improve Ethereum’s ecosystem.
  • I can help identify and advise impact projects that should be built independently of reliance on private capital and speculation.
  • I can support those projects beyond funding, improving their structures and connections to increase efficiency of the resources provided.
  • I want to help public goods funding move towards long term sustainability of selected projects instead of furthering the “eternally grant dependent” standards PG builders live with today. I think ENS is uniquely positioned and intelligent to help change this.

Background:

• I’ve helped build community centered political movements in Brazil for 4 years before giving up the hope that the state will solve problems in reasonable time.
  • I’ve worked for 2 years as a Service Design Lead for projects on health, education and sustainability at the Brazilian National Confederation of Industry.
  • I’ve been dedicated to DAO building for the last two years, focused on community coordination, strategy and governance. I’ve contributed significantly to DAOs at:
    • JuiceboxDAO, building governance, community and their user’s DAOs.
    • CanuDAO (RIP), researching and compiling best practices for community efficiency.
    • Origami, supporting “web2.5” clients to structure DAOs for web3 transition.
    • Nance.app, researching failure points of governance in different DAOs and solutions for those.
  • I’ve been attending, immersing, researching, speaking and organizing events around coordination for the last year, which added a lot to my previous knowledge and gave me a better understanding of governance and coordination of the commons.

Any other information you wish to share with Delegates (e.g. potential conflicts or existing engagements)

I am currently involved with the following projects, mainly dedicated to the first:

• Nance.app, as non-technical lead. We are building governance integration, focused on improving DAO flows by providing “easier to act and read” governing experiences.
  • Africa DeFi Alliance, building the governance structure. We aim at bridging the funding gap to Africa through DeFi based loans to small business, and governing profits to fund education and infra.
  • AgroforestDAO, building governance structures and planting trees. We are planting food forests with community funding and creating “easy to replicate” governance structures to allocate the revenues from impact and tokenized food sales towards more forests and better farm worker conditions.

Disclaimer of conflicts:

• I’m in contact with coltron.eth to show Nance and get feedback on the needs of ENS DAO for member experience improvement, as Nance moves towards supporting Discourse and ENS experience can be valuable to us.
  • Nance has recently applied for the small grants program.
  • Nance customers are DAOs, but I don’t see relevant conflict as: (1) this is not a Metagov WG application, (2) Nance has not established any charging mechanism yet and (3) we’d be happy to offer our tools to ENS DAO for free independently of my approval here or not and this is not a Metagov application. The project is open source anyway. The free offer does not include any custom development required.
3 Likes

Your preferred name/ENS name: impacto.eth
Preferred Name: Camila
Forum username: impacto.eth
Twitter profile link (optional): @cnasoares

With a deep commitment to social impact, technology, and philanthropy, my journey has been one of transformation and innovation. As the founder and CEO of IMPACTO, I’ve dedicated over 14 years to marrying technology with social good. We leveraged AI and blockchain and created an ESG platform to bring efficiency, transparency and simplicity to the donation and volunteering process, maximizing social and environmental impact made by organizations… My roots in a rural family, as the first woman to attain a university degree, develop software, venture into entrepreneurship, speak multiple languages, and explore the world, have fueled my mission to empower others to become their best selves, just as I strived to be.

My experience extends from developing an operational system from scratch under Ray Dalio’s mentorship at Endless Computers at the Silicon Valley after completing my social entrepreneurship program at Stanford to bridging the gap between the corporate and humanitarian worlds with education and digital inclusion programs globally. My passion for storytelling and impact is evident in my work as a filmmaker and documentarist, notably during the pandemic, where my efforts supported over 200,000 people.

As a steward, I aim to bring this unique blend of grassroots understanding, technological expertise, and global perspective to ENS. My diverse experiences, including speaking at international forums and holding influential board positions, equip me to contribute significantly to ENS’s mission. I am committed to promoting transparent governance, equitable resource distribution, and engaging communities in the stewardship of public goods.

tl;dr: My diverse expertise in technology, philanthropy, and social impact aligns perfectly with the stewardship of public goods, aiming to bring a unique, impactful perspective to ENS.

Any other information you wish to share with Delegates (e.g. potential conflicts or existing engagements)

In addition to leading IMPACTO, I am involved in Play4Change, an impact DAO leveraging blockchain for education, financial inclusion and digital upskilling in underserved communities in Brazil, serving as the Ground Impact Lead, and hold position on the World Housing board. My multifaceted engagements have given me a comprehensive view of the challenges and opportunities in the realm of public goods, impact measurement and decentralized governance.

2 Likes

Your preferred name/ENS name: Caribe/victorcaribe.eth
Forum username: victorcaribe.eth
Twitter profile link (optional): @victorcaribe

My journey with blockchain started in 2016 as I saw its transformative potential for bringing economic freedom and decreasing the wealth gap for people that have been excluded from traditional systems. I started my career at PwC and spent 12 years between Brazil and the US, leading digital transformation initiatives, corporate responsibility and transparency projects. Since I had the opportunity to navigate between clients in multiple industries such as music, gaming, technology, oil and gas, finance and commerce I was able to understand how blockchain would be disruptive to many of them.

In 2021 I took a sabbatical and Co-Founded Play4Change DAO which is an organization with the mission of generating financial inclusion, digital upskilling and access to job opportunities in underserved communities leveraging web3 tools such as games, NFTs and Defi.

I am also the Co-CEO at IMPACTO, which is an ESG platform that connects companies and donors to NGOs to fund social projects in a simple, efficient and transparent way. We leverage blockchain for traceability of funds as well as engagement for the community with tokens. In addition, we leverage AI for matchmaking based on interests and common themes. By gathering the data we are also able to measure the impact caused in each specific area to accelerate positive change towards the UN 2030 SDGs.

I am an early adopter of ENS domains and have been following the protocol for a while believing that blockchain is here to bring us digital property, decentralization and censorship resistance. However for it to be massively adopted and reach mainstream we needed easier ways of registering domains and better UX. The ENS platform, with its broad resources, stands as an ideal medium to elevate the importance of public goods. Through educational initiatives, public forums, and strategic partnerships, we can enhance its impact, ensuring a sustainable, inclusive future.

My experience has taught me the importance of addressing the uneven distribution of resources and opportunities within our ecosystem. I am committed to advocating for inclusivity, accessibility, and fair governance, driving collaborative efforts to maximize our collective impact. As a proponent of transparent governance, I aim to reinforce community participation, establish sustainable funding mechanisms, and cultivate a dynamic knowledge and resource flow, ensuring the long-term viability and relevance of public goods.

tl;dr: Leveraging my extensive experience in blockchain, social impact, and corporate governance, I am dedicated to revolutionizing how we approach, distribute, and maintain public goods.

**Any other information you wish to share with Delegates (e.g. potential conflicts or existing engagements):

My roles at PwC, Play4Change DAO, and IMPACTO have profoundly influenced my approach to decentralized governance and public goods, equipping me with a unique blend of technological innovation applied to social responsibility. In addition, I am an advocate for Chainlink facilitating education sessions about web3, cripto and blockchain. I am also passionate about AI and its potential to increase our productivity without taking away our time and life. By joining forces with machines we can be more human and regenerate the planet as well as our society.

1 Like

Link to Snapshot: Snapshot endorsement
Preferred Name and/or ENS name: honn.eth
Forum username: @honn.eth
** Twitter profile link (optional):** @honn24x

• ENS’s commitment to decentralization and public goods allows it to continue being an essential pillar in the Ethereum ecosystem, and the idea of supporting the DAO further fund public goods is quite exciting. Also, speaking with stewards and keeping up with governance activity has shown me the strength and growth of the ENS community, one that I wish to further be a part of.
    Background:
  • I’ve always had a strong interest in public goods, and I have actively worked to help fund projects that could deliver high impact for the different communities I was a part of, along with the broader ecosystem. I was a founding employee for the Uniswap Foundation, where I worked on governance and grants initiatives. Prior to governance and grants work at Uniswap, I was a part of the dYdX grants committee working on similar initiatives. Outside of direct DAO operational work, I was a researcher for the Decentralization Research Center where I looked deeply into DAO issues and frameworks. I’m confident that my experiences will allow me to effectively contribute to the ENS public goods working group as a steward.
    Link to previous DAO contributions:
  • DAO Treasury Report
  • First DAO delegate race
  • Uniswap governance process reform
  • Optimism protocol delegation program lead
  • Optimism liquidity mining lead
  • Public goods grants announcements

Because I believe in the Public Goods mission of Ethereum Name Service as laid out in the ENS DAO constitution.

As a foundational Public Good in the Ethereum ecosystem that saw early funding from the Ethereum Foundation and is successfully providing the community with an essential service, the ENS DAO has a unique position related to our Public Goods mandate. We’re taking actual protocol and trying to create positive externalities and outcomes for the broader Web3 and Ethereum community. This isn’t funding generated from a native token; this funding comes from years of real developer time and passionate users like all of us. I want to be a steward because I am motivated by this history and the duty that accompanies it.

Aside from ethos, I want to be a steward because some improvements can still be made to what we have. Generally, the Public Goods funding in ENS has been scrappy. We don’t have a fancy UI, the awareness has been grassroots, and we’re not touting seven or eight-digit funding numbers. We don’t need to match the funding amounts of other organizations, but for the next term, I’d like to see our platform elevated. We need simple improvements such as a website providing more comprehensive information that will increase our reach and ability to disseminate information about our programs.

With our current grant offerings, some definite improvements and clarifications need to be made with Small Grants. Our Large Grants will be announcing a cohort of seven recipients that will report on progress over the next six months; this will need managing and follow-through. I’m proud that these large grant recipients represent a broad range of technicality and focus and include names that the stewards were unaware of at the start of the term. We’re increasing reach and building incrementally.

I’d be extremely grateful to continue serving the DAO as a Public Goods working group steward.

Any other information you wish to share with Delegates
I am a current Public Goods steward and have served the DAO in different roles since November 2021. I have also been working with Karpatkey, who manages the ENS Endowment. I have recused myself of any oversight of treasury management in both organizations and ensured it remains disconnected from the Public Goods working group.

If elected for this next term, I intend to vie for the lead steward position only if needed. I would love to support and provide continuity as there are talented nominees this term who could fulfill the lead designation role.

5 Likes

Link to Snapshot: Snapshot
Your preferred name/ENS name: Eduardo / vegayp.eth
Forum username: Forum username
Twitter profile link (optional): @vegaypatino

To be honest, when I joined the Public Goods Stewardship in January I didn’t realise how much work could be done.

For a year now I have been serving the ENS DAO with a very clear intention:

• Be a voice (and a loud one sometimes) in every DAO affair that I am informed enough to support.

• Make sure that we create a reliable stream of funds for Public Goods.

• Raise awareness about ENS as a Public Good across web3 and non-crypto related spaces.

And for the past year the last two points have taken me into places where people’s questions are always the same: "Oh, sorry I didn’t know ENS had a grant program?" “Oh wait, are you guys a Public Good?”

We have given presentations ranging from a Tokyo Shrine to an Istanbul University, bridging the gap for people and providing access to ENS as a Public Good. We have supported ETH with the support of Ethereum Foundation and give bounties to Public Goods hackathons.

My intention for the next term if elected, is to scale our grants program, bring academic support and reach new ecosystems and underrepresented communities who can benefit from ENS as a Public Good.

The second intention for the term, is to do crosspolination with other Ecosystems and do joint efforts for grants program.

And who knows, we may start funding and seeing projects who provide unexpected value and use cases to ENS, just because we took the time to let them know that like the past year: hey, we are here to meet you tell you about the stream of funds that ENS has.

I work as Community Lead in dm3.network, hence my abstraction from any process involving dm3.

6 Likes