Are we supposed to vote on-chain directly?

We uses two steps for the ENS proposals that need to be executed on the chain in order to avoid wasting voters’ GAS in the event that the proposal failed to pass (it is sweet):

1. snapshot (off-chain)
  2. tally (on-chain)

I think it’s time to consider going straight to an on-chain vote. The reasons are as follows:

1. As proposals need to go through temp check and draft stage, the acceptance rate of ENS proposals is very high. So far, all proposals requiring on-chain voting have passed (except for one accident). Say that 10% of future proposals will not pass, this means we need to do 10 more off-chain votes because of a little gas in 1 transaction.
  2. There seems to be no mechanism to guarantee the consistency of off-chain and on-chain voting for the same person. In fact, off-chain voting is a bit like a temp check these days.

So, are we supposed to vote on-chain directly?

2 Likes

Agreed. This came up recently when I accidentally pushed a proposal straight to the chain as well. Longer-term we could modify the governor to require a deposit that’s voided if the vote fails, too, ensuring that people won’t waste time or gas by going straight to chain on votes that are likely to fail.

1 Like

Another reason to do off-chain voting is that it increases participation, also for social proposals. I do think however there could be a mix of off-chain voting and direct to on-chain voting. It doesn’t have to be one or the other.

2 Likes

yep, what I wrote is only for the proposals that must be executed on-chain.

1 Like