ENS taking advantage of NFTs

I had a conversation with Makoto about how to make the most of NFTs in the space. My proposal is to collaborate with NFT platforms to airdrop an ENS related NFT to all qualifying participants.

Proposal

ENS commissions an artist every X months, and chooses one platform to collaborate. E.g. Nifty Gateway, Foundation, OpenSea, MakersPlace etc… to host an ENS drop. Artist creates an ENS related NFT, an animation explainer, a fun ENS nifty like Takoyaki, or graphics. This art should be ENS related, but also good looking so people want to own it.

ENS drop is free (or low cost) and you are only eligible if you have an ENS on that address and have reverse/forward resolution setup.

In this way we get to share the exposure of each NFT platform and they get the advantage of extra coverage and clout from ENS. Because of the desire to own NFTs, we get more users for ENS just so they can collect these ENS related NFTs.

Variations

• Use the same artist month after month and create a collection that builds over time (it may make the NFTs more valuable and participation will become more fierce)

• Instead of commission the art, it could be a competition. This would allow more grassroot artists to get involved and generate even more art for ENS.

• If it’s a competition, allow the grantsDAO to pick winners of the competition.

I think as a start the easiest path of least resistance is to, contact one of the NFT platforms to see if they can integrate this kind of drop on their platform. Commission a good/well known artist directly so we can take advantage of their current user base, some have a lot of followers on twitter/instagram. Announce the snapshot date so some buzz can be created and people will start to get their ENS names setup. If it works out, we can do another round, or create a competition that gets voted on by the grantsDAO and all participants (stage 2)

2 Likes

We should certainly partner with multiple platforms but the easy ones to get started is probably ones in l2, https://nifty.ink on xDAI and https://matic.opensea.io on Matic/Polygon as we can literarily airdrop than writing Merkle airdrop contract. Probably do a small experiment on nifty.ink (prize $100~500 is enough as they need no gas to mint NFTs) then approach to OpenSea with the experiment result.

I like this idea! I can reach out to Akomba; I expect they have a lot of contacts with artists after their ether.cards launch.

I think the only problem with that is that ENS is not on layer 2 atm, so the narrative doesn’t work as well.

Nifty.ink just reference to mainnet ENS and they so support reverse record. OpenSea on Matic probably doesn’t do that so probably not a good place to do it

1 Like

Ok, I did some research on platforms which already have some support of ENS and how we could do NFT drops.

Drop methods in general

I researched various platform and afaik there isn’t a way to easily airdrop to specific users, or have Merkle airdrop specifically tailored for NFT (except POAP which is on xDAI).

KnownOrigin

• ENS support: Reverse record on a profile page is supported (Example). No search by ENS names
  • Drop method: The Easiest is to commission an nft from ko artist via creative challenge. Then say all profiles with ens lookup on profile eligible for prize of they reply to tweet.
    Then pick x at random and gift the nft.
  • The examples = https://medium.com/knownorigin/tagged/creative-challenge

Makersplace

OpenSea

• ENS support: Both reverse records on profile and account page by ENS name is supported (eg: https://opensea.io/accounts/matoken.eth)
  • Drop method: Probably best to do something similar to Known Origin and Makersplace. OpenSea currently has Matic version but it does not seem like it has ENS name resolutions. They also recently announced to integrate with Immutable-X which is on Starkware but don’t think it’s live yet.

Nifty.ink

• ENS support: Reverse record on profile page and transactions is supported. No search by ENS names
  • Drop method: Because Nifty.ink is on xDAI, it’s actually possible to airdrop to as many people as we like.

POAP

• ENS support: Forward lookup only (eg: https://app.poap.xyz/scan/matoken.eth)
  • Drop method: Because Nifty.ink is on xDAI, it’s actually possible to airdrop to as many people as we like.

Ok, here is one format I propose.

1. Anyone can suggest their favourite artists to commission an art related to ENS by posting his/her portfolio URL which shows ENS name (eg OpenSea, KnownOrigin, and Nifty.ink are ideal but it could be just artist’s twitter URL which include their ENS name).

2. ENS team get quotes from these artists to see if we can afford to pay the commission.

3. Narrow down to 5~10 artists which have ENS name set and we can afford to pay

4. Decide winning artist with https://snapshot.org voting. Only users who have ENS reverse record set can vote.

5. Commission the work to the winning artist.

6. Randomly pick a winner from the people who voted.

I am hoping that this will encourage all artists, platform, and people who want the NFT art to set ENS name to their addresses (maybe mint 3, ens.eth owns one, give one to the person who nominated the artist, then give away one randomly)

1 Like
  1. Winners = Get the “Rare” NFT airdrop;
  2. Everyone else w/ Reverse Resolver = Gets “Common” NFT airdrop.
1 Like

The alternative to issuing 2 kinds of NFT is to fractionise using https://www.niftex.org. This way it will be a lot easier to distribute using Merkle drop (Uniswap like claim button) while keeping the original NFT scarce. It’s similar concept to NFT collective/DAO idea PleasrDAO, $WHALE, $B20 have. Their v2 has some governance feature so I am guessing you can do some interesting governance around the NFT

Something like Astrodrop would be an option: whalerdao.github.io/astrodrop/

Perhaps we could put out a bounty for someone to customise it to add ERC1155 support and a nice UI for multiple drops?

In terms of distribution, we are currently debating whether we should use Fractionisation or OpenEdition and your opinion is appreciated.

ENS requirement

• We would like to give out to ENS holders for free
  • It needs a way to easily distribute to whitelisted address
  • Even though it is free, we would like the owners to find it valuable (and allow them to resell in the secondary market if they wish).
  • We want to showcase the use of ENS (particularly reverse record) so prefer ways to show ENS reverse record as much as possible.

Fractionisation

Pros

• Artist can choose the NFT marketplace to mint (as we later fractionise)
  • Easier/Flexible/More tool support for airdrops
  • Can assign different % to each person (if needed)
  • Niftex shows the list of owners which supports the ENS reverse record.
  • DAO like voting system (Niftex v2)

Cons

• Even though Niftex has its own bonding market, we are not utilising it hence harder to put liquidity on the secondary market (eg: Uniswap)
  • Doesn’t show the art on your wallet
  • Cannot trade the original piece on NFT market unless “buy back” feature kicks off
  • Their platform UI looks like a token exchange than NFT market place.

Open Edition

• Currently supported by OpenSea/Rarible/NiftyGateway

Pros

• Can show off on your NFT wallet
  • More exposure on NFT marketplaces when users list their arts.

Cons

• Limited ENS support (only OpenSea shows ENS reverse record on your own account)
  • Not sure if an individual piece will have lots of value when distributed to 100s~1000s.
  • Not many people haven’t done NFT airdrop so tools support are limited.

Had an update from the Niftex team.

• In terms of liquidity, OpenSea has its own ERC20 order book which people can trade without the ENS team (or anyone) putting liquidity
  • They also worked with the OpenSea team that the fraction under account page just looks like other NFTs.

Here are some screenshots

POAP has been on boarding users to ENS since February 2019. Literally hundreds of people have gotten an ENS just to make the process of getting POAPs smoother.

When people have ENS+reverse the experience of using POAP is nicer. Because of this we are committed to help with this initiative.

On the POAP ecosystem there’s a platform for raffles, available at http://POAP.fun

For participating in a raffle the users has to have one eligible POAP. Because we don’t ask for names, we do inverse resolution to see who is participating.

See for example how it is used here:

I propose a raffle is done (maybe for the NFT with artistic value?) and only participants with reverse records are allowed to redeem the prize.

POAP.fun is open source and doesn’t cost anything to use because it uses off-chain message signing to validate account ownership.

So what I don’t like about fractionalisation, and it could be a semantic thing, but the ‘fractions’ get bought so you can eventually redeem the ‘whole’ edition. I think it makes it feel like each shard is not the whole piece, which is not the kind of ‘feeling’ i want to evoke when someone gets an NFT from our drop. It even says it very clearly in the description where ‘fractions can be used to claim the underlying NFT’. I want them to feel like they have a whole NFT and it’s theres to do with as they please. Just like when you own a baseball card that has say 100 prints, it in itself is the product.

Apart from this, I generally thinking ERC721’s are better supported across other platforms are likely to be in the future, e.g. Showtime, zapper, other ERC721/1155 platforms, or even in your wallets (i’m guessing they don’t support Niftex just yet and are likely to be behind in this regard)

Edit:

Also this doesn’t stop us in the future doing some collab with Niftex and fractionalising say 10 already minted ERC1155 open editions and then turning them into fractions that could then be redeemed for 1 open edition when you have enough tokens. I like the simplicity of the open edition and fractionalising could be done as an experiment, but feels like too much experimentation for something that could be simple (and also could be done as a second drop)

Lil Miquela air dropped 1/1500 to my account but not sure if I am getting a special “feeling”.

https://opensea.io/collection/venus-ii-v2?locale=ja

Probably doesn’t invoke a special feeling no matter which method as long as you are getting it for free.

Good idea! However, consider the high GAS issue of the Ethernet mainnet. L2 may be more appropriate.