Gitcoin Grants Round 20: ENS Identity

ENS Identity:
The ENS Ecosystem Working Group is participating in Gitcoin Grants Round 20 with a matching pool of $100k! In this round, we are excited to partner with SpruceID and Gitcoin after being selected by the Community Council as a GG20 Community sponsored round (Gitcoin Application).

GG20 ENS Identity Announcement

Quadratic Funding:
If you’re unfamiliar with what quadratic funding is, it’s a means of distributing funds based on community input. The matching funds a project receives takes into consideration the number of donors to a project, not just the total dollar amount it gets, and pays out the matching pool to add on top of the community donations. Read more about it here.

Dates:
Applications: April 2nd @ 12:00 UTC - April 16th @ 23:59 UTC
Donations: April 23rd @ 12:00 UTC - May 7th @ 23:59 UTC
Review and Sybil Check: May 8th - May 27th
Matching Payouts: Before May 28 @ 23:59 UTC

Chain:
Arbitrum

Criteria:
The GG20 ENS Identity Round round is meant to support projects actively building on top of ENS. Any project that is growing, enhancing, or supporting the decentralized identity system around ENS is eligible.

Link:
Gitcoin

11 Likes

The Round is now live for donations! Visit the Gitcoin site here.

4 Likes

Looks like NameSys’s project Dostr was kicked out of the ENS round without any explanation, but we do have

• Service providers still trying to suck the last few hundred dollars from smaller teams. Are they not satisfied with their high 6-figure streams?
  • VC-funded teams clearly playing out Sybil attacks.
  • Projects that are clearly not identity-related at all and yet we were, but still got kicked out.

@slobo.eth, can you please explain? While you are at it, you can also explain why you cut our funding in half - again without any explanation! - when your team at Namestone is consistently building on top of our prototypes and ideas. Did you recuse yourself from these processes which include your nearest competitors? You are whole-heartedly attempting to crush NameSys at this point and it couldn’t be more obvious (seems like forgetting about us in newsletters consistently wasn’t good enough). Lastly, please don’t write me a DM. Explain here in a public post.

It looks like you are upset and I’m sorry to hear that you feel that way.

My understanding is that that project was never submitted. All the projects that were submitted are here. @Limes can provide more info if needed as he is the lead on this ecosystem initiative.

I did not recuse myself from your grant request. For the record I was one of namesys’ strongest advocates to get the funding that namesys received. All top projects during the last round received 25k.

The newsletter is run by @estmcmxci. I do not review the content before it goes out.

Some of your comments appear to be aggressive and can be seen as personal attacks. My policy is to not engage with comments of that nature as I do not believe that’s in the best interest of ENS.

1 Like

We can see our application on Gitcoin so perhaps something went wrong somewhere in the pipeline. We’ll follow up with Gitcoin to see what happened. I take back my allegation that our project was removed.

Hypothetical strong advocacy is meaningless since we requested for $50k after discussions with another steward about why we need at least $50k to survive. Considering that you requested $700k for yourself means that you understand very well why it is nearly impossible to work with $25k. How do you justify a team working for $25k while you build on their ideas and prototypes and take home $700k? Recuse yourself next time from funding decisions; better in fact if you step down from stewardship and stop this vulturing around other teams. What’s worse is that there was no reason given for why we were funded only half the requested amount, only silence and non-communication.

I have personally deemed Marcus not worth talking to. I have brought NameSys’s exclusion from newsletters up with you as well as Marcus in DMs but to no avail. So that ship has sailed; we have accepted it for what it is.

This is stewards’ favourite line these days. Anyone asks any uncomfortable questions and all of them go back to their hoods claiming personal attack. Why stay in position of decision-making when you cannot justify those decisions? Sir, please step down. I am begging you.

1 Like

If you want to learn more about the projects involved, I’m speed interviewing many of the teams who are participating in the ENS Gitcoin Grants round today on a Twitter Space at 3:00pm ET / 19:00 GMT.

Link: https://x.com/limes_eth/status/1783614343504113872

The twitter space was bugged out so we had to start a new space, the recording is here: https://x.com/limes_eth/status/1785027882923987249

1 Like