{pRFP} ENS Avatar PFP

Love the avatars from @bigwideworld and the abstracts from @ColorUnit . Another reason that I don’t think there should be one official but we need to think how to incentivize many types of these. Like giving a small grant for cool avatars that make “virtual nfts” for all eth names.

4 Likes

Hello community,

I heard you were looking for an unlimited supply of generative images. I have a simple but powerful solution. Colors and squares. If you want a near infinite supply of images, you need focus around patterns & colors. A 10x10 grid with a hex color picker is more than enough runway for far more than 10 billion possible iterations.

The end goal here is to make ENS your de facto Web3 brand identifier. Words are strong brand identifiers. Colors are the other half to that equation. A focus around colors can be ambiguous, specific, neutral, and would support the idea of using your ENS as a brand identifier. Similar to how people choose which words they register, we would want to let people choose which colors are in their randomly generated pattern. The ability to not only pick the colors, but also the option to regenerate and select a final choice before minting would add another gamification layer as people would hunt for the most appealing patterns; similar to how we hunt for the most appealing string of characters. This way you’re given the ability to choose, but you’re also faced with the fear of missing out on a pattern that you may never see again.
If we want unlimited images, we want randomly generated patterns. If we want factions and personalization, we add colors.

Ideally this would be a script implemented into the registry, so I didn’t attempt to really create layers to do this manually or attempt to write code that I am unfamiliar with executing. I imagine it would just require a grid layer and then some code to fill in the squares with color. It took me one google search to find a website that did this for me. The website I used to create these examples was http://randomstripes.com. I imagine it would not be extremely difficult to have a similar program implemented into the registry.
*The logo placement and text size/font in these examples could probably be optimized, but the main idea here is the images behind them.

• 000x.eth
3 Likes

Welcome @000x.eth and thanks for sharing a simple yet clever idea.

It certainly solves the problem of (almost) infinite images.

2 Likes

ENS Avatar PFP

This series is a design partnership between Autumn Phaneuf and James Richad Fry.
You can find them here on Twitter.

Autumn: https://twitter.com/1autumn_leaf

James: https://twitter.com/jamesrichardfry

Timeline to complete: 21-45 days

Sample Design: See End of Document for small version. Please click here for Large Version ENS Logos - Google Docs

How did this theme come about?

Let’s play with color, mood, and abstract design. With very large collections, like ENS Domains, needing 10 billion (or more) designs, we want to have features that are eye catching, unique, and recognizable. Albeit the design has an soft transition at first glance, we observe the boldness of the the gradients and the power of color.

The solution is novel; we create a powerful piece that embodies the future of ENS while integrating and encapsulating it within the hexagon, a symbol of sacred geometry. This also nicely incorporates the look for the Twitter verification for the hexagon when using an NFT PFP.

Other information:

Backgrounds: N>>10,000,000,000 avatars, were N = number of backgrounds

Rounded hexagon (hexi): embodies sacred geometry, and plays to the hexagon Twitter NFT PFP. You can use this as a unique, verified PFP.

Colors: HEX Codes = 16,777,216 colors

ENS symbol: The ENS logo

Combinations: Using just one, 2 color L-R diagonal gradient with all of the HEX codes, (with a white hexagon and white ENS symbol,) we have over 281,474,959,933,440 combinations for backgrounds. This surpasses the expectations of 10,000,000,000 combinations of colors for the profile pictures.

By rotating the two color gradients into L-R diagonal, R-L diagonal, top-bottom, and side-side, with smooth and a 42x42 pixelation we get 2,251,799,679,467,520 combinations of backgrounds. The number keeps increasing from there… We are way past the 10 billion combinations that we need, not including the other backgrounds and assets.

Backgrounds:

Smooth Gradient
Gradient L-R Diagonal (uses 2 colors)
Gradient R-L Diagonal (uses 2 colors)
Gradient Top-Bottom (uses 2 colors)
Gradient Side-Side (uses 2 colors)
Gradient 2 Three colors L-R Diagonal (uses 3 colors)
Gradient 2 Three colors R-L Diagonal (uses 3 colors)
Gradient 2 Three colors Top-Bottom (uses 3 colors)
Gradient 2 Three colors Side-Side (uses 3 colors)
Tri color Base of triangle at top (uses 3 colors)
Tri color Base of triangle at bottom (uses 3 colors)
Diamond (uses 4 colors)
Square (uses 4 colors)
Pentagram base at top (uses 5 colors)
Pentagram base at bottom (uses 5 colors)
Hexagon base at top (uses 6 colors)
Hexagon base at side (uses 6 colors)

42x42 Grid
Gradient L-R Diagonal (uses 2 colors)
Gradient R-L Diagonal (uses 2 colors)
Gradient Top-Bottom (uses 2 colors)
Gradient Side-Side (uses 2 colors)
Gradient 2 Three colors L-R Diagonal (uses 3 colors)
Gradient 2 Three colors R-L Diagonal (uses 3 colors)
Gradient 2 Three colors Top-Bottom (uses 3 colors)
Gradient 2 Three colors Side-Side (uses 3 colors)
Tri color Base of triangle at top (uses 3 colors)
Tri color Base of triangle at bottom (uses 3 colors)
Diamond (uses 4 colors)
Square (uses 4 colors)
Pentagram base at top (uses 5 colors)
Pentagram base at bottom (uses 5 colors)
Hexagon base at top (uses 6 colors)
Hexagon base at side (uses 6 colors)
Random 42x42 colors in rainbow with Black logo
Random 42x42 colors in rainbow with White logo

Other combinations will incorporate the backgrounds above, or similar: hexi symbol outline, inner hexi symbol background, and ENS logo can also change colors!

4 Likes

ww3club

1 Like

Cool concept, however wouldn’t this run out of animals/pets? I tink the RFP calls for a concept that would allow for unlimited generation.

In the requirements of this RFP. :point_up:

1 Like

Necklace is awesome!

1 Like

Hello! @Ginge.eth with the extension of the deadline, has the original decision timeline been pushed back about 3 weeks? Want to keep an eye out in case there are any questions.

Hey @bigwideworld,
I can answer for Ginge.eth on this.

It’s taken us longer to get through the process on this than we anticipated. Apologies that it doesn’t match the initial timelines that we laid out for everyone. We had some potential submitters that asked us for more time, and a lot of the ENS team has been traveling to Eth NY or heads down in the recent elections.

We’re hoping to get the list of finalists together soon, and at that point we’ll reach out with questions. Thank you for your patience. :pray:

2 Likes

Thanks for the update! Makes sense.

Is this still open?

Apologise I haven’t been keeping up to date with this forum enough. I have been rather busy networking, building and sharing ideas all things ENS related over on Twitter spaces! :blush:

Still pretty keen to pitch some ideas and concept art here if that’s ok?

Thanks in advance :handshake::art::tickets::people_hugging:

888.Meta8.eth / Wave.Meta8.eth /. 8°8.eth

2 Likes

In a recent YouTube video, I heard talk of allowing the controller of a domain being able to potentially upload an image/pfp via the new UI.

If so, please can I ask if the images will be stored on chain or how will that all work?

From what I can see/hear there are plenty of groups, people and businesses asking the same question.

I feel that this solution could solve a lot of issues but also open a can of worms.

I have been crafting and working on some ideas for Avatars and would love to present them here.

Thanks again guys!

2 Likes

Any new updates on this project? We are still interested.

Apologies again for the delay. Thanks for the bump.

We lost some momentum on this project as the steward terms wrapped up in June/July. Now that the stewards are in place for this term there will need to be some conversations on the working group calls to make sure there’s still consensus that it’s something the DAO wants to pursue.

Thanks for your patience.

4 Likes

Interesting timing. Thanks for the update :call_me_hand:t3:

2 Likes

Hi Everyone,
I’m a newbie in the world of NFT/ ENS etc.

(Please enter this link) I made this couple months after some lectures with avsa.eth in Rio:
https://afa7789.github.io/ethereum-gradient-base64/

It’s a moving gradient that can be used as an identicon ( The code can too generate static ones ).
Forked and builded using the base of blockies due to its potential to generate random colors and contrast, and cause it had the webpack configuration done, faster export to npm.

Example using

Add Example here: (current version with animated SVG )
example link to base64 image

First iteration with static gradients:

Second iteration with moving gradients ( if you enter in the first link, you will see they’re moving, this is a PrintScreen):

We could use this SVG’s as part of the planned avatar, and maybe add the person’s ENS address to it too.
It’s a matter of timing to translate the js to solidity.

edits: more images, and grammar issues.

1 Like

Thanks for that Arthur!
The gradient looks very nice! I have to admit it’s a bit subtle as I hadn’t even noticed at first, but also making it too fast might be annoying.

3 Likes

Hi Spence

Did this project or proposal ever get any closure ?

To this date I don’t think it had? What would it take to refresh it ?

Regards

1 Like

Hey @Meta8.eth,

Sorry for the delay. This hasn’t been discussed for quite some time, so I’m not sure if it’s still a valid project that has the needed support.

We never selected a finalist from the submissions. I’m not sure what it would take to refresh the project.

Are you asking because you want to take a crack at it?

2 Likes

@5pence.eth Considering the staleness of this RFP idea, and the inactivity of the RFP Manager from the original proposal I would be in favor of archiving this.

If there is renewed interest, an RFP could be reintroduced with new specifications and an active RFP Manager.

2 Likes