Draft Proposal for New Snapshot for Airdrop

During one of the ongoing discussions, in discord of ENS, it came to my attention that more and more people are joining the ENS ecosystem after October 31st 2021.

However, it is still the case that the gas fees for most people living in the developing world is high enough for them to not risk it. For instance, here’s some case scenario I picked up for India, which is inevitably the next market for anything internet and other domains:

1. Average monthly salary in India is 31k INR approx.
  2. Average median salary is around 29k.
  3. Average range is around 8k-114k per month.

Based on my understanding, even people with well regulated jobs will have to spend 2 months worth of their salary (not investments) to buy 1 ENS domain if they are lucky and have courage to do so.

In short, like most ETH projects, this too shall be the thing for rich or high risk takers.

I, hereby, want to propose the announcement of a new airdrop based on a new snapshot somewhere in 2022. This reward incentive might make people take the risk in assurance that they will at least get their hard earned money back in some portion once they have invested in the ENS ecosystem in its initial 5-8 years.

This would require ENS to announce it on their twitter profile, and then others in the ecosystem to spread the word to more people. Then a snapshot needs to be created on a new date as announced. This could be touted as the last Airdrop opportunity for the ENS ecosystem.

17 Likes

I don’t quite understand why we would reward people with an announced airdrop. They had years to get an ENS name (and times with low gas fees). Those who were early adopters were given tokens to vote as a reward for being early adopters.

If new users are passionate about ENS and want to have a vote in future features, they can trade for ENS tokens on an exchange.

The airdrop wasn’t to pay people or make money. Heck, the token could be worth $0 for all I care. It’s the ability to vote that matters. I would not be in support of any future airdrops of the token for this very reason.

9 Likes

I think you missed the point where the next line of mass adopters will be from developing countries. Being an Early adopter is a privilege not a virtue in my opinion as it requires money and access to information which most people don’t quite have.

If the project aims to give power to the users (in terms of governance), then it would be wrong to let it be in the hands of few. Of course, the few here are in thousands unlike traditional old school web2 companies, but I am pretty sure we can scale it up a bit more before looking into the burn process.

I could be wrong here but at this point, the aim should be mass adoption for over a year or 2; then consolidation. Currently, I think we are lacking in the effort to democratize the governance power.

$ENS still costs few days worth of salary for most people in areas where we can penetrate with this type of strategy.

5 Likes

Inflating the $ENS token to bring down the price so developing countries can buy it for voting rights doesn’t make sense. If someone wanted free tokens, they would have already been a part of this project or had an ENS name. This project has been around for years and people from all over the world already own .eth addresses. It sounds like you want a handout so people who were not interested in the technology can have a vote.

If they want a vote, they can purchase ENS from an exchange. We could dilute the pool with many airdrops, but we will always be at the mercy of supply and demand. ENS could be $1000 next year. That would be the price someone values a say in this system. We can’t hand out tokens because some people didn’t care about ENS until the airdrop or they want a vote in something they didn’t care about until now.

3 Likes

@ibcoder.eth A solution other than an airdrop might for someone/project to create a dapp to provide subdomain minting for people? So like username.india2cryptowalletproject.eth These subdomains could be set up with permissions so the parent name would not be able to take it back over. Plus since this will be done on L2 it would be avoiding high gas fees? I think building on top of the utility of ENS could solve some of this.

Additionally, I can foresee some cool hackathons integrating with ENS, and there could be future funding for those types of projects, maybe even through the community and public goods initiatives/funding from the DAO. So I think there are some good use cases to accomplish the goal of helping the world onboard, even those it might be harder for because of economic circumstances in developing countries. I think we’ll start to see ENS + L2 solve a lot of this. I do like that passion you have though for developing countries. :hugs: That is important to not forget them as members of “the public”. And ENS is “an open public utility that belongs to the community”. I think it’s been built in such a way that these goals can be reached as we all work together to make it so!

7 Likes

I don’t agree with this at all.

I much rather the ENS community identify key contributors to the ecosystem and reward them by giving them some ENS from the treasury, whether they are domain holders or not.
In this way, people that may not be able to afford them would still be rewarded by contributing to the project.

9 Likes

One last concern would be around announcing the snapshot date (or even admitting a second is coming). If that happens, nothing would stop me from spending 5-10k USD to buy up 1000 .eth addresses, claim the drop on 1000 addresses, then dump the $ENS on an exchange for crazy profit.

I like the idea of having developers from around the world contribute to ENS, and then members of the community or our treasury rewarding them. I just don’t see how another airdrop does anything other than make the rich richer. I’m not a whale and even I see how I could drop a few grand and come out with a lambo. Someone with real money will absolutely abuse this.

5 Likes

Blockchain and cryptocurrency as it stands provides plenty of opportunities for individual whom have access; equal opportunity to make financial moves, and leverage the current fist holdings into something exponentially more valuable. When I purchased my ENS domain, I spent the better portion of the last of what I had available to barely squeeze through the price and gas fees. How could we ever verify a persons income to validate the integrity of an unknown entity getting a discounted or retroactive airdrop? I think that’s is being a little more intrusive and personal than what anyone involved with ENS would care to get wrapped up in or hold the responsibility of doing so.

3 Likes

This is much better than my idea. You mean something like wordpress or many other sites that currently do this?

Can you list few incentives on both end in this idea? Like what could be benefit of ENS domain holder to provide this type of service to others and why would others want to use it?

I don’t think everyone is interested in expanding in the adoption for people in the developing world. We might have to think around some incentive structure around the same.

1 Like

This seems correct. Yes, that would make rich more richer. I didn’t took that into account at all. Maybe if we can come up with a place where we list several key ideas we want to develop around the ecosystem and then let the developers pick it up? Like a job board or task board kind of thing? The core goal would be to make ENS more popular and widely adopted and those who contribute towards that goal get rewarded for the same? The aim also will be to not burn new comers pocket either. So basically, anyone who can help ease the process of onboarding gets rewarded?

2 Likes

With DAO working groups being introduced, anyone from anywhere with any background will be able to see tasks and contribute. Contributions will be rewarded but there’s currently not an exact plan on how that will work.

4 Likes

Can we see where the discussion around that is happening? I an relatively new here so a link to it will be helpful.

The passed proposal for working groups can be found here.

It could be! @brantlymillegan has talked about someone creating a Wix type platform using web3 and ENS. He’s not doing that but threw the idea out there a couple of times. You could create the “Wix of India” to give people dapp space (yes you can host dapps/website using your ENS name, even user4509.betterthanwix.eth). Users who have subdomains could set their payment addresses and records just like a normal “top level” .eth name.

I’ve never played Decentraland, but recently I learned they have DCL.eth, and users I think in the game can “mint” username.dcl.eth. I’m not sure how it plays into game mechanics, but this is one use case for subdomains. There could be public goods built around what you are trying to accomplish for the developing world.

Some of this will be presented/formulated by the Working Groups @taytems mentioned. I think you will find a diverse set of people in the ENS community with all kinds of passions. Would love to continue to see your input and participation!

4 Likes

very true , i agree with your proposal

2 Likes

if first airdrop can get mass adoption in ens domain just imagine what if there is 2nd airdop

1 Like

Appreciate the draft proposal. I don’t support it - it would be impossible to differentiate who new users in developing countries are. I see where you’re coming from but if we take the same rationale - there were many early ENS adopters stemming from developing countries who got handsomely rewarded when the original airdrop was announced. The scale was even for everyone with respect to their own native fiat. Hope that makes sense.

1 Like

I agree that another airdrop is not warranted; otherwise, we are awarding speculators, who join in the hope of a greater financial reward down the road than their investment. Nevertheless, if we want greater participation from developing countries or wherever, then such $ENS could be awarded out of the DAO treasury under an objective criteria. First, we have a badge system that we should make use of to encourage greater participation. Second, creating a committee to periodically review those whose ENS activity clearly demonstrate a desire to be involved in ENS and be part of the discourse. In some cases, it could be qualitative activity that significantly contributes to ENS’s mission and, in some cases, meaningful quantitative contribution.

2 Likes

I would like to offer a thought that if you asked 10 people what ENS/ Web 3.0 might entail, one risks securing anywhere from 0-11 answers.

Admittedly, what I understand about how the mission statement(s) tie into how this thing will develop is vague. I did not know about the airdrop before claiming my domain; I thought it would be cool to get in on the domain rush.

I would venture a guess that there is an overwhelming pull for some type of remunerative gain in registering these domains, saving the bespoke " I-just-wanna-express-myself-folks".

Rewarding speculators is not a horrible idea: the notion that there is a reward for spending (a lot of) money on this network is not inherently wrong, nor does it exclude anyone for the wrong reasons.

Good intentions, but we don’t think an airdrop could be the solution :-1: