ENS DAO Newsletter #1 - 03/01/2022

ENS DAO Newsletter #1 - 03/01/2022

:wave: HELLO WORLD!
Welcome to the very first edition of the Ethereum Name Service newsletter! Future editions of this newsletter will be published on the 1st and 15th of each month. This bi-weekly ENS digest is intended to provide ongoing transparency into the ever-improving ENS protocol as well as its diverse community – including detailed documentation from the Working Groups and information about upcoming technical developments.

We hope to provide the best coverage of both ENS the technology and of the ENS DAO, or “decentralized autonomous organization.” Information about our community meetings, proposals, and governance decisions will be compiled here, as well as the latest updates to the ENS protocol and ecosystem as a whole.

This publication intends to maintain a credibly neutral, non-biased, accurate, reliable, and curated single source for all things ENS. We intend to reach the widest audience possible.

:ballot_box: Recent Proposals

Visit the ENS Snapshot page for details regarding the most recent proposals.

For details on the ENS DAO proposal process see our Governance Docs.

Working Group News

In early January, four proposals were passed, establishing the four initial Working Groups within the DAO. ENS Community Manager, @alisha.eth, created the proposals. These working groups provide a framework for DAO members to focus their attention more effectively on specific areas within ENS.

The four groups are Community, Ecosystem, Meta-Governance, and Public Goods.

:busts_in_silhouette: Community

• Stewards, @limes, and @coltron.eth formatted the Community Budget and the draft proposal was put forth on February 25th, ahead of the voting period. The approximated value in USD is ~155k to cover the six-month term, with the largest allocation going towards Discord Moderation.
  • Two of the Community Stewards were at ETHDenver. They gave out DAO Steward POAPS and even helped a US Olympic Athlete purchase their ENS Name!
  • The Community Stewards are looking to improve our DAO onboarding process and consolidate the different sources of information available. The Community WG will be establishing an Onboarding working group; @vegayp and @coltron.eth will be in charge of this subgroup. We are looking for active contributors. Our first action is to launch weekly Onboarding calls that are EST and GMT friendly.
  • There is now a pinned Community WG Dashboard with helpful information for our WG available in one place. We would like to see other working groups adopt this practice and cross-post this information in Discord.
  • The community is researching an Ethereum Name Service merch store to provide swag for t-shirts, stickers, coffee mugs, etc. The implementation timeframe may shift to the following term while we research legalities of selling merch as a Foundation are investigated and we identify someone to run the store. It was also discussed to look into third parties to sell and distribute. If you have any e-commerce experience, please contact @coltron.eth or join our weekly Steward Call every Friday at Noon EST /. 5pm UTC. Click here for the Google Meet link.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Ecosystem

:balance_scale: Meta-Goverance

:white_check_mark: Public Goods

ENS Protocol Development

ENS Creator and Lead Developer Nick Johnson (@nick.eth) shared on Twitter the following updates are being developed for the ENS protocol:

• Expired ENS domain names will soon have an exponential price oracle auction system, replacing the current auction system, which starts at a temporary premium of $100,000 and diminishes to 0 over 28 days. See EP5 for more information on the current auction system. More details coming soon.
  • “A huge suite of contract updates we’ve been working on for over 6 months.”
  • The new release of Ethers will contain support for CCIP Read, which allows for secure off-chain data retrieval. See Ethereum Improvement Proposal 3668 for more information on CCIP Read.
  • Several ENS DAO votes will begin on February 28th, including Working Group budget requests and votes to elect a new Director of the ENS Foundation.
  • A redesigned ENS manager app will be released soon, and a sneak preview is available to explore now.
  • The ENS Constitution will be released in a digital format and physical versions. More information is coming soon.

:wave: Onboard to the ENS DAO!

Security Tip

Never share your crypto wallet’s private seed phrase or enter it anywhere you are not 100% certain is the correct page or app. The private seed phrase functions as a password, and anyone that knows it can access your wallet and will steal your assets. For this reason, it should also be kept as secure as possible. The app MetaMask refers to this as a “secret recovery phrase,” to prevent confusion.

22 Likes

Fantastic! This’ll be a wonderful resource, especially to link to others who may not have the time to keep up with everything. Thanks for the hard work!

5 Likes

Looks good @daylon.eth! Thanks for putting this together.

4 Likes

@Coltron.eth Thank you for all the help!

And @serenae thanks a lot! :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Outstanding first newsletter. Thank you @daylon.eth .

4 Likes

Thanks @daylon.eth! We really need this kind of wrap up. Appreciate the time put in.

4 Likes

To everyone who worked on this project,

An excellent First Edition!

4 Likes

This is awesome! Thank you, thank you @daylon.eth !

4 Likes

Extremely useful and informative, thank you @daylon.eth

1 Like

SUPER informative. Thanks @daylon.eth !

1 Like

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Nice work @daylon.eth and very useful.
I do appreaciate the security tip at the end, good addition.

Just one pedantic suggestion:
It would be great if we could have UTC as the alternative time for the calls - listing EST first as a standard is fine but that following it either with the time in UTC or what EST timezone equates to in UTC helps some of us in other timezones not in the USA.

Example:
4:30pm EST (UTC -5)
or
4:30pm EST (11:30 UTC)

3 Likes

Actually, it is 4:31 PM UTC (11:31 AM EST) :rofl:

2 Likes

Exactly! you have no idea how much of a burden timezones are for me

3 Likes

Thanks for that feedback @NicLaz.eth , I will add UTC next time. Time zones are really confusing for me too, just because they span across two days.

And thanks a lot for the encouragement everyone! :slight_smile: but @Coltron.eth deserves credit too - he did as much or more than me to make this happen.

3 Likes

Noted! I’ll be sure to make this a standard format for the Community WG information that I post.

3 Likes

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: for @Coltron.eth as well and all that contributed

1 Like

:fire: newsletter @daylon.eth and @Coltron.eth

This comes in handy to let Discord users know current happenings as well, as we get some questions there from users wanting to keep up with ENS current state/events/growth. Great job again! Will be using this fantastic resource often.

2 Likes

I’ve been conscious of doing more posts in the # dao-bulletin channel and I just added a message about the newsletter.

Can we get @daylon.eth access to that channel too?

2 Likes

This is good stuff @daylon.eth

2 Likes

Thanks again for the positive feedback, everybody! :grin:

If anyone would like to follow on Twitter, I made an account exclusively for this newsletter.

Thank you.

2 Likes