ENS DAO Newsletter #1 - 03/01/2022
Welcome to the very first edition of the Ethereum Name Service newsletter! Future editions of this newsletter will be published on the 1st and 15th of each month. This bi-weekly ENS digest is intended to provide ongoing transparency into the ever-improving ENS protocol as well as its diverse community – including detailed documentation from the Working Groups and information about upcoming technical developments.
We hope to provide the best coverage of both ENS the technology and of the ENS DAO, or “decentralized autonomous organization.” Information about our community meetings, proposals, and governance decisions will be compiled here, as well as the latest updates to the ENS protocol and ecosystem as a whole.
This publication intends to maintain a credibly neutral, non-biased, accurate, reliable, and curated single source for all things ENS. We intend to reach the widest audience possible.
Visit the ENS Snapshot page for details regarding the most recent proposals.
For details on the ENS DAO proposal process see our Governance Docs.
Working Group News
In early January, four proposals were passed, establishing the four initial Working Groups within the DAO. ENS Community Manager, @alisha.eth, created the proposals. These working groups provide a framework for DAO members to focus their attention more effectively on specific areas within ENS.
The four groups are Community, Ecosystem, Meta-Governance, and Public Goods.
- Stewards, @limes, and @coltron.eth formatted the Community Budget and the draft proposal was put forth on February 25th, ahead of the voting period. The approximated value in USD is ~155k to cover the six-month term, with the largest allocation going towards Discord Moderation.
- Two of the Community Stewards were at ETHDenver. They gave out DAO Steward POAPS and even helped a US Olympic Athlete purchase their ENS Name!
- The Community Stewards are looking to improve our DAO onboarding process and consolidate the different sources of information available. The Community WG will be establishing an Onboarding working group; @vegayp and @coltron.eth will be in charge of this subgroup. We are looking for active contributors. Our first action is to launch weekly Onboarding calls that are EST and GMT friendly.
- There is now a pinned Community WG Dashboard with helpful information for our WG available in one place. We would like to see other working groups adopt this practice and cross-post this information in Discord.
- The community is researching an Ethereum Name Service merch store to provide swag for t-shirts, stickers, coffee mugs, etc. The implementation timeframe may shift to the following term while we research legalities of selling merch as a Foundation are investigated and we identify someone to run the store. It was also discussed to look into third parties to sell and distribute. If you have any e-commerce experience, please contact @coltron.eth or join our weekly Steward Call every Friday at Noon EST /. 5pm UTC. Click here for the Google Meet link.
- The Ecosystem Working Group held four meetings in February, on the 7th, 14th, 24th, and the 28th. The WG plans to meet every Monday at 2 pm EST / 7 pm GMT.
- ENS delegate and Ecosystem Steward @slobo.eth provided a Budget Proposal for the working group, as well as written summaries of the meetings, which can be found here:
- The Meta-Governance working group is currently taking requests for Subgroups.
- The Public Goods working group is currently taking requests for Subgroups.
- Additionally, ENS delegate and Public Goods Steward @avsa has proposed a Draft Budget Proposal for the working group.
ENS Protocol Development
ENS Creator and Lead Developer Nick Johnson (@nick.eth) shared on Twitter the following updates are being developed for the ENS protocol:
- Expired ENS domain names will soon have an exponential price oracle auction system, replacing the current auction system, which starts at a temporary premium of $100,000 and diminishes to 0 over 28 days. See EP5 for more information on the current auction system. More details coming soon.
- “A huge suite of contract updates we’ve been working on for over 6 months.”
- The new release of Ethers will contain support for CCIP Read, which allows for secure off-chain data retrieval. See Ethereum Improvement Proposal 3668 for more information on CCIP Read.
- Several ENS DAO votes will begin on February 28th, including Working Group budget requests and votes to elect a new Director of the ENS Foundation.
- A redesigned ENS manager app will be released soon, and a sneak preview is available to explore now.
- The ENS Constitution will be released in a digital format and physical versions. More information is coming soon.
Onboard to the ENS DAO!
- Sync up with our Community Working Group!
- Join our weekly onboarding call every Friday at 1:30 PM EST to learn about our DAO, governance process, $ENS Tokens, and current projects.
- Join on our Discord to chat about ENS or speak to a moderator.
- Visit our Governance Docs.
Never share your crypto wallet’s private seed phrase or enter it anywhere you are not 100% certain is the correct page or app. The private seed phrase functions as a password, and anyone that knows it can access your wallet and will steal your assets. For this reason, it should also be kept as secure as possible. The app MetaMask refers to this as a “secret recovery phrase,” to prevent confusion.