On a unified Policy for Refunding Accidental ENS Transfers

Every so often someone will accidentally send ENS tokens to the ENS contract. Luckily, the token contract does have a feature that allows the DAO to sweep these back and we have refunded them, sometimes en masse or sometimes manually.

I’d like to discuss different approaches for how to handle this in the future. Since the cutoff date of December 6, 2021, when EP3 amended the airdrop to include accidental returned funds, there have been 21 accidental transactions to a total of 16 different accounts. As far as I could tell only one has been refunded manually from the Metagov Safe.

Here’s a summarized table:

From total ENS sent
0xbb370213…5aCF6472F 200.567159
0x59e58E2C…C34afee4A 124.194015 *
Coinbase 6 123.280146
0x9Fc594bF…607449676 83.826853
0x078ba09a…0b1750136 41.708035
0x67C8AAC2…24a76DA1e 40.687676
Coinbase 10 29.155459
0x0AE07716…Cfe748179 26.644159
0x99aC46b1…8FF3d9fC0 25.24
0x194E9c9d…B83c232c6 16.3
0x3BFcc944…D6e950A12 10
0x95B564F3…AFAFAcc8a 10 *
dannyh.eth 8
0x36fAEFB0…ef29879B0 6.688963
2022020202.eth 5
Paribu 5 1
jefflau.eth 0.01
Grand Total 752.302465 ENS

* requested funds back

It’s important to note that the 3 largest transactions account for 60% of the total. Of these listed, only two have reached out to us asking for the funds back and only the second, asked last year, has received it. User @tman64 has made a request for his funds, which prompted this study. We can safely assume that these are not the only people who would like their money back and that there others who never bother to contact us – or never managed to find out where to do it.

Finally, if you read the account of the user @AlexW we can also get some context on how these accidents happen. In his case he was sending from his exchange account into his newly set up Metamask, but he didn’t know how it worked and thought the ENS address listed on the wallet was actually his own “ENS deposit address”. We should assume that many of these accidents were also sent from exchanges (we can even see two known coinbase and one Paribu address on the list) and are probably from users who cannot execute transactions nor necessarily receive the money on the address.

So what are we to do as a general policy? Here’s what I see are the options:

1) Do nothing and wait for requests

We could simply keep not doing anything and acting on requests on a case by case manner. Metagov would send ENS for @tman64 and then maybe create a more formal ENS request process later.

It’s the natural inertia action, but it would mean that many users who lost coins would never see them until they found their way to the forum.

2) Multisend send all back

We could simply send all these tokens back to the address they came from. This option would be expensive (according to Multisender app calculator it could cost maybe 7 full ethers which is more than the value of the tokens being sent) and not necessarily reach the intended audience. Tokens sent back to the general Coinbase account are not credited to the original recipient, and either end up lost locked up on an accidental address (again!) or are just a donation to Coinbase.

3) Airdrop them back

A second option would be to create an airdrop, which is a lot cheaper for the sender (but still pricey, Multisender quotes at lease 0.5 ether to do it). It has the advantage that it only sends tokens back to accounts that can prove they actually own the address. On the other hand that would indeed exclude many newbies who sent it via exchanges and would have the same issue as option 1, in which if you’re not aware of the new airdrop, then you’ll never know you have the chance.

Personally I started this research based on the post by Tman64, thinking there ought to be a better way than to wait for forum threads to send money back, but honestly it might be the case that there isn’t. These accidents are common, but not common enough to merit a new process, and any alternatives to send automatically will be very expensive or exclude exchange users. Maybe the process can be marginally improved by having a proper form where people go and submit their request, but maybe not even that’s worth it.

Whats your opinion?

4 Likes

Really respect you having taken the time to investigate this so thoroughly @AvsA

I think the way to go is…

I don’t think the numbers involved are sizeable enough to warrant any overt effort being put into returning these funds. Especially at cost to the DAO (both gas fees and time).

There is the ‘code is law’ argument, but obviously mistakes do happen and I see no reason not to ‘do the right thing’ if there is insignificant overhead and people explicitly reach out in a polite manner.

1 Like

@clowes I think it’s totally worth it to spend the time to return these. The account receiving the airdrop were early supporters. We should just send them back. They pay the fees that comes to the DAO, they spent the time supporting and displaying the project in return we owe them what’s right.

Not everyone may know that this forum and this topic even exists. After all it is widely known that “you will never get your funds back if sent to the wrong address”. That’s the first thing new users are told. (Most of the time).

Depending on how they value the token and if they choose to relinquish the vote to the open market to go into circulation, then a dollar is a dollar—not everyone has excessive liquidity and I’m sure that at least one if not a few of those accounts to receive tokens might be the difference between something and something. So I don’t think we should say it’s not worth it.

Approx value of total amount of tokens (if sold on a decentralized open market): $19,200

That’s a lot of money to not be worth it

The fees quoted for a multisend seem outrageous - were they perhaps calculated when gas was extremely high? Sending tokens to 17 accounts certainly shouldn’t cost multiple Ether!

That said, I think a reasonable path forward given the low frequency with which this occurs is for Metagov stewards to consider refund requests on a case-by-case basis, and pay any approved requests from Metagov funds, then request them back from the DAO in their next budget.

Handling refund requests on a case-by-case basis seems like the best option for now. Echoing @clowes.eth’s sentiment, I truly appreciate the effort you’ve put forth to address this issue. I feel grateful and fortunate to have your meaningful input as a fellow steward.

For users who have not yet requested a refund, we should anticipate that they might ask for refunds in the future. In such cases, we should instruct them on how they can request refunds and whether they are eligible to receive them.

Fwiw, I posted this on January 31st.

Guidance on when and how to return tokens. Easy standardization so that there are no questions and remains fully transparent.

Refund Process for Tokens Sent to ENS Contract

Thanks for the link but I believe that overcomplicates things for something that doesn’t happen that often.

1 Like

I agree. The available data about these accidental transfers supports the manual refund strategy as the best approach at the moment.

Thanks to @AvsA for championing this and seeing it through. :pray:

You’re correct. I had initially checked the multisender app, an app that was designed to sending thousands of transactions (we have 69 total erroneous transactions but most were already refunded by the second airdrop fix).

Upon checking again and using the Safe app, the true value is about $200-100 dollars.

I’ve also trimmed down the full recipient list to only 13. I have removed the two coinbase accounts, the Paribu account and the one to 0x95B564F3…AFAFAcc8a as it was already refunded. The final list of receivers are now the following:

Refunded To ENS sent
0xbb370213…5aCF6472F 200.567159
0x59e58E2C…C34afee4A 124.194015
0x9Fc594bF…607449676 83.826853
0x078ba09a…0b1750136 41.708035
0x67C8AAC2…24a76DA1e 40.687676
0x0AE07716…Cfe748179 26.644159
0x99aC46b1…8FF3d9fC0 25.24
0x194E9c9d…B83c232c6 16.3
0x3BFcc944…D6e950A12 10
dannyh.eth 8
0x36fAEFB0…ef29879B0 6.688963
2022020202.eth 5
jefflau.eth 0.01

Transaction should take a while while GasHawk looks for a better price, but in about 24h these users should see their ENS refunded.

4 Likes

You can remove the contract, which removes the complication. There should be formal guidance for any and all special circumstances outlined in the by-laws. It’s great for orgs to have a sort of SOP, publicized. @avsa @5pence.eth

The transaction went through, paying 13 recipients, a value of 589 ENS tokens. It ended up costing $150, for a transfer value of over $10k.

If you are a Metagov steward from the future reading this, DO NOT REFUND any transactions from Mar 2, 2024 or older. This is your new cutoff date.

1 Like