Onboarding Flow: Request for feedback

Hello everyone.

Eduardo here. On the past weeks along @Coltron.eth, we have been working on a draft of the onboarding process that ENS DAO could have.

Through some sessions the results proposed are the following:

The working document is here in case you can’t read the image.

The basic structure of this onboarding process starts with identifying the sources, where does people come from? Which is an exercise of acknowledgement but also an engagement posibilites with another communities.

The next thing, is to identify what kind of users do we have? And we narrow it down to two types (at the moment, later on this is potentially changeable).

1. Token Holder: someone who, we will be interested on making aware of:
  • As a token holder, what is your spectrum of actions on the DAO?

• What does my token (ENS) works for?

1. Non Token holder: someone who, we will be interested on making aware of:
  • How do I acquire tokens? and What do they work for?

• How do I engage with the DAO?

Once this users are identify (through Onboarding calls, onboarding bots and others tools like roles assignment). Then we move on towards the second layer, which is a common ground for both users, and for that matter, to every user on the DAO: The cultural and Governance built.

Not everyone will be able to be part of the Governance, but everyone should be aware of its existence. We highlighted being part of the forum and the vote system, as the main things to bring to the community awareness.

After the Governance layer, which frames everyone to participate on the Cultural and Social Layer. Here comes the COC drafted by @estmcmxci. How we ensure this? Through effective and aligned communications on the Onboarding calls, 1-1s, discord moderators dialogue, Community Calls and the WG calls.

After the user is Onboarded on the previously stated layers (Governance and Cultural) then the user could identify his potential role on the community: as a potential contributor, as a potential steward or as a potential DAO member.

By this moment, the onboarding process moves on to the “user life cycle” (how do we retain users, how do we foster engagement and inclusion) but we haven’t reach that point, so for now we aim to get a good onboarding process that allows users to enter the DAO smoothly.

All this, is framed under this proposed values, again, this is a draft that will most likely be improved and changed, but we proposed this values more as an intention and flag for current members to carry around, on other working groups, so outside the onboarding and inside the onboarding.

This is the initial draft, we will need and love your feedback for this Onboarding Flow.

8 Likes

Hi, thank you for drafting the onboarding flow.

I think people should be onboarded into how to obtain and make full use of ENS before leading into joining the ENS ecosystem and governance.

Maybe worth adding the following stages at the discovery section?

1. obtain ENS name (either registering from app.ens.domains, acquiring via secondary market like OpenSea, or through subdomains ).
    1. set primary record to use ENS name as Web3 identity (Dapps can only recognise the ENS name of the connected addresses when the primary name is set.
    1. set avatar text record
    1. use their ENS name as a handle in other web2 platform (eg: twitter, discord, etc).
7 Likes

This is really good stuff, especially the values. A clear code of conduct is long overdue in my opinion. Also agree with @matoken.eth that a main part of onboarding is often first to purchase an ENS name and learn how to use it, and to use it as your online identity on sites like twitter etc. I’m really curious what the ratio of people is that just want the name versus those that want to participate in governance. I can only speak with my own biases, but I feel like most people won’t be interested in governance, or at least not for very long. I could be wrong though.

2 Likes

This looks like a great start - thank you!

One idea that’s come up recently on Twitter that I think is excellent is having an “onboarding team”. Volunteers who know the DAO and greet potential new contributors. They can ask a few questions about their skills and expertise and interests, and direct them to a part of the DAO where they can make a useful contribution. “Onboarders” can be drawn from anyone who knows their way around and wants to help new contributors get started.

5 Likes

This is exactly right. Hosting weekly onboarding calls will be key. Going to dig into this @vegayp!

4 Likes

Thanks everyone for your feedback! I have added some of the changes to the figma document so we can have a better discussion of it on the next Community WG Sync.

We will keep updating this post along our progress with the onboarding process polishment.

2 Likes

Hey! I’ve been lurking for a few weeks now but am still finding it hard to “onboard”. I had half a mind to crash a PG or MG WG weekly meeting but am wary of the objective to execute the focused agenda. I have dmed @katherine.eth but to no avail :cry:. Would that still be the best way or is there still a focused onboarding effort for intrinsically motivated contributors like myself to proactively join the ENS community’s WGs?

Hello there!

This onboarding flow have almost a year! And was created when we were experimenting during the first days of the DAO.

We no longer do an onboarding for contributors, but we welcome everyone to join the WG Calls (here are the links for today’s call of Ecosystem and Public Goods).

From personal experience, I became a contributor by joining every week and helping when needed.

Hope this helps!

1 Like