Steward Nominations — Public Goods WG (Q3/Q4 2023 Term)

To nominate yourself to be a steward of the Public Goods Working Group for the Q3/Q4 2023 Term, complete the steps below before 9am UTC on June 9.

Three Stewards will be elected for the Public Goods Working Group.

The nomination process will be followed by a five day election window for the Public Goods Working Group.

Nomination Steps

To nominate yourself to be a Steward of the Public Goods Working Group, follow the steps below.

Step 1

Forum: Reply to in this thread with the following information:

• Link to Snapshot: (fill this in after Step 2)
  • Preferred Name and/or ENS name:
  • Forum username:
  • Twitter profile link (optional):
  • Why do you want to be a Steward of this Working Group?
  • Any other information you wish to share with Delegates (e.g. potential conflicts or existing engagements)

Step 2

Snapshot: Create a Snapshot vote in the ENS WG Steward Nomination space HERE. Select “New Proposal” and use the following template:

Template
Title: [[Name of Working Group]] Nominate [your preferred name or ENS name]

• Example: [Public Goods] Nominate yourname.eth

Body: Copy and paste your forum reply from above which includes:

• Your preferred name/ENS name
  • Forum username
  • Twitter profile link (optional)
  • Any other information you wish to share with Delegates (e.g. potential conflicts or existing engagements)

Vote Timing
Select the start date and time of June 6 at 9am UTC.
Select the end date of June 9. The time will automatically be set to end at the same time the proposal starts (which should be 9am UTC).

Please note, Snapshot will use your current timezone to set the time. Please convert 9am UTC into your local timezone when setting up your proposal.

For reference: 9am UTC = 5am ET / 2am PT / 10am BST / 11am CEST

Any nominations submitted to the forum prior to the start of the nomination window will become active when the nomination window opens on June 6. All votes to support a Steward nomination must be made during the nomination window.

Step 3

After successfully nominating yourself to be a Steward, you require 10k votes in support of your nomination on Snapshot between June 6 - 9.

Any nominee with 10k votes supporting their Steward nomination will be included in the ballot for the Steward election of the relevant Working Group.

Steward Elections

Anyone who completes the steps in the “Nominations Steps” section above will be included on the ballot for election. Steward elections will use approval voting.

Election begins: 9am UTC on June 10
Election ends: 9am UTC on June 15

Gitcoin Passport

If you have trouble submitting a proposal on Snapshot, please make sure you set up Gitcoin Passport first. You can set up your Gitcoin passport at passport.gitcoin.co.

Video Walkthrough

Before creating a Snapshot vote, please watch this video walkthrough of the process.

Questions

If you have any questions about the Steward election or nominations, or if you need help setting up your Snapshot vote, please comment below or DM Alisha on Twitter.

Forum Write-Access

In order to nominate yourself as a Steward, you must have write-access to all of the categories in the governance forum. Please submit the Participant Request form if you require write-access. If you have submitted the form and have not received a response it is because there is an invalid entry in your form. Please DM me on Twitter (@futurealisha) to follow up with issues.

4 Likes

Link to Snapshot: Snapshot
Preferred Name and/or ENS name: marcus / estmcmxci.eth
Forum username: @estmcmxci
Twitter profile link (optional): @estmcmxci

Why do you want to be a Steward of this Working Group?

Over the past 73 weeks, I’ve happily witnessed the ENS Protocol and its governing body achieve incredible feats that few DAOs could, if ever, hope to accomplish — ENS is in a league of its own.

The launch of ENS V3, the Name Wrapper, and the ENS Design System are just a few highlights from this year; of which provide fertile ground for innovation and position ENS as foundational infrastructure for an on-chain identity layer.

The Ecosystem and Public Goods working groups have invigorated ENS’ developer ecosystem via its grants initiatives; ensuring the long-term viability of the protocol. Furthermore, the DAO is proving to be a resilient governing mechanism, with the launch of an endowment thanks in part to the Meta-Governance working group.

All of this ensures that operations continue regardless of market conditions. ENS is truly one of a kind – I’m proud to have played a modest part in its journey.

Today, I’m thrilled to continue that journey as I submit my nomination to serve as a Public Goods steward for the ENS DAO. Generally, I’ve been a long-time enthusiast and advocate of public goods funding.

Among other things, I have:

So, why do I want to serve the Public Goods working group? As I mentioned earlier, continuous developments in the ENS protocol create fertile ground for innovative applications. This, in turn, will increase Ethereum’s relevance to the mainstream.

However, to remain true to the ethos of building distributed, user-owned networks, it is crucial for the Public Goods working group to directly contribute to breaking down barriers for individuals and communities who are not yet part of our immediate ecosystem.

We should empower more people with the knowledge and skills necessary to establish their own stake within our network. How can we achieve this? Through education. We need to increase awareness about our grants initiatives and make them more widely known.

One way to enhance our working group would be to build rapport among other communities, particularly those led by women or minorities, about the grants offered by the Public Goods working group.

Currently, only a limited group of individuals are aware of these grants. Even many builders within Web3 are unaware that ENS provides public goods grants.

If elected, I plan to kickstart Q3/Q4 with a five-point plan that drives awareness of existing grant initiatives (write-access is enabled and open source contribution is welcome).

The plan will focus on outreach to underserved communities, in alignment with Article III of the ENS DAO Constitution and ENS Labs.

Please consider my nomination as a call to action. Together, we can continue building on the momentum that Public Goods stewards had in Q1/Q2, expand our public goods funding initiatives into a broader domain, and create more heterogeneous learning environments.

Let’s set an example for future generations — for the world!

9 Likes

Dear frENS,

Thank you in advance for your support.

Link to Snapshot: Snapshot

Your preferred name/ENS name: Magnum.eth

Forum username: Magnum.eth

Twitter profile link: https://www.twitter.com/magnumEth

Hey there, DAO!

I’m super excited to throw my hat in the ring and apply for the role of Steward in the Public Goods Working Group. Public goods are my jam, and I genuinely believe that decentralized governance holds immense potential to support and nurture these vital resources.

So, why am I pumped about being a Steward in the Public Goods Working Group? Let me break it down:

Passion for public goods: I’m all about public goods! I truly believe they’re essential for the growth and well-being of our communities. In my journey through the blockchain space, I’ve been an active advocate for creating and maintaining public goods that benefit everyone. It’s a cause that gets me fired up and ready to make a difference.

Know-how and experience: I’ve been around the block and gained some serious knowledge when it comes to identifying, nurturing, and supporting public goods initiatives. From my time in open-source projects to collaborating with nonprofits, I’ve gained valuable insights into the challenges and opportunities in this space. I’m ready to bring that expertise to the table as a Steward.

Collaboration and community vibes: I firmly believe that we’re stronger together. I’ve always championed collaboration and engaged with diverse communities to promote public goods creation and adoption. As a Steward, I’ll continue fostering partnerships, encouraging participation, and amplifying the impact of public goods initiatives. It’s all about working hand in hand to create something awesome.

Strategy and resource magic: Being a good steward means thinking strategically and making the most of the resources we have. I’m equipped to develop killer strategies that maximize the impact of our resources on public goods initiatives. I’ll ensure we’re allocating wisely, coordinating effectively, and measuring those sweet outcomes.

By bringing me on board as a Steward of the Public Goods Working Group, you’ll tap into my passion, expertise, and dedication to advancing public goods. Let’s collaborate with fellow Stewards and community members, dive into discussions, propose awesome initiatives, and drive meaningful change for the entire ecosystem.

Thanks a bunch for considering my application. I’m stoked about the opportunity to serve as a Steward and work towards a future where public goods flourish and benefit us all.

Any other information you wish to share with Delegates (e.g. potential conflicts or existing engagements) :

No conflicts to my knowledge.
I am quite active on Twitter. If you have any questions or just want to vibe holla at me @magnumeth

6 Likes
  • Link to Snapshot: vegayp.eth nomination.

• Preferred Name and/or ENS name: vegayp.eth

• Forum username: vegayp

*** Twitter profile link (optional):** twitter.com/vegaypatino

*** Why do you want to be a Steward of this Working Group?**

Hello there!

I am running for my re-election as a Public Good steward. Why? Because our mission isn’t finished.

This isn’t about me, this is about the Public Goods Working Group and how we can bring more light, awareness, consciousness, partnerships, talent and research towards ENS not only as a protocol, but also a key component for the web3 public goods landscape.

Let me start with what we have accomplished on the past 6 months:

• Launch of one of the biggest grants program for the Ethereum Public Goods Ecosystem: Growth and Large grants. Giving away almost 200k in grants to other key projects such as DappNode but also providing support for less visible communities but as equal as relevant for their work like Ethereum Guatemala or Revoke Cash. It’s healthy to point out that our grants program were community designed: we presented it every week looking for feedback and improvements as well as encouraging the grantees to provide feedback about the experience.
  • We created a safe space for other projects to meet and engage with our little corner of the internet, our calls have had presentations from a very diverse and variety of communities who were value aligned with the Public Goods ethos.
  • Provide funding for Gitcoin Schelling Point and Web3 Privacy Summit, testing out how events can become a Public Good by providing value to communities who wouldn’t have otherwise access to technical and non technical knowledge of an specific nature.
  • I was present at the DAOTokyo, RefiJapan and DeFiJapan presenting our Grants program, as well as pitching the other side of ENS: A Public Good.
  • I was invited to the biggest latinoamerican podcast in Spanish about Crypto (ENS como bien publico con Eduardo vega - YouTube) (Spotify): we talk about ENS as a Public Goods and the importance of it, as well as our grants program.
  • We kept running monthly small grants program.
  • As you may have noticed I talked a lot.

Regarding myself I have an attendance ratio of 95% in calls. And besides a tendency for interrupting my co-stewards while talking I have been very vocal at the forum and at the calls of others WG.

So what’s next?

• Take the grants program to next level and provide results of the first term results with the community, comprehend how we can improve voting and distribution of funds through different mechanisms.
  • Amplify the work that other communities like Optimism, Gitcoin, Giveth and Celo are doing and cross share best practices and learnings, so we got a better understanding of the wins and mishaps.
  • Bring our Public Goods side to more events and conferences: our protocol needs to be able to showcase its benefit outside the technical and economic point of view but also in the public Good narrative.
  • I’d love to bring more underrepresented communities to the table, to our calls and to our ecosystem.

It’s important to make a stop here, and realise that ENS was initially a grantee from the Ethereum Foundation, so our actions are bringing a full circle moment for the ecosystem.

• This is more mid/long term personal of mine but, how can we bring ENS to builders who are building critical infrastructure in the real world? The key would be to position our protocol in public good spaces that have IRL impact to people.

The point is: it’s not only about giving way money, it’s about building communities around it that transfer the value that we are initially seeding. The point is that Public Goods WG shouldn’t be a small voice in our ecosystem, but an amplifier for anyone building for a better ecosystem.

• Any other information you wish to share with Delegates (e.g. potential conflicts or existing engagements):

I work with other Public Goods initiative such as dm3, and if it brings a conflict of interest I’d make sure to abstain myself.

9 Likes
  • Link to Snapshot: Snapshot
  • Preferred Name and/or ENS name: Marcus / marcusam.eth
  • Forum username: Marcus
  • Twitter profile link (optional): @marcusdotam

I’m excited by the potential to join as a Steward of the Public Good Working Group for the ENS DAO as I believe that one of crypto’s biggest opportunities is the capacity to coordinate and work towards creating more flourishing futures for all. In order to materialize that reality, I believe that creating an ecosystem that support public goods is imperative to demonstrate the opportunity we have to support projects and builders around the world who are delivering precisely that.

As has been noted by some of my fellow applicants, the ENS DAO’s Public Goods Working Group is already making substantial strides towards delivering on this opportunity by building a robust public goods ecosystem. I believe that I bring an optimistic take on the role that the ENS DAO could take to continue to drive impact across the Ethereum ecosystem. As a Steward of the PG WG, I would aim to continue to foster the already strong relationships that exist across Ethereum that aim to further nurture public goods. I would also continue to communicate and share the incredible work that the ENS DAO is doing with regards to supporting public goods, and continue to build an inclusive space so that the ENS DAO’s public goods efforts may reach those who have most to benefit from receiving support through their work.

With regards to qualifications, below I outline a three reasons why I believe I would make a good Steward of the Public Goods Working Group: 1. my engagement thus far in the PG WG, 2. my commitment towards building ecosystems that support PG’s, and 3. my background.

1. Engagement:
As a community member of Ethereum Guatemala, who received the support of two ENS DAO Small Grants and most recently, the Growth Grant, I’ve witnessed and navigated first hand the power and impact that the working group can have across the ecosystem. With the support of those funds, we’ve been able to host four events across the country, conduct a Solidity 8-week bootcamp, and an upcoming hackathon. I am a regular participant in the weekly calls and engage whenever there are activites to support the working group with.

2. Public Goods Ecosystem:
I hold a strong conviction that one of the greatest opportunities we have with crypto is to build incentive structures that further drive support for public goods. With that belief, I have been deeply involved with those efforts across the Ethereum ecosystem. This includes joining the EF’s Fellowship, where I conducted in-depth research and published an open-source report and content series on driving more economic freedom and opoortunity in Latin America by leveraging crypto, I am also a contributor to ETH Kipu (the community of LatAm communities) where I focus on the Public Goods working group, have been a contributor across the Gitcoin ecosystem, a contributor at NounsDAO Amigos, and even experimented with land commons as a founding core contributor of CityDAO.

3. Background
While the crypto ecosystem is where I spend most of my time these days, in the past I’ve worked across a number of non-crypto related projects that would contribute to my capacity to serve as a Steward to the PG WG. This includes: Consultant for the Ford Foundation, researcher at the University of Oxford focusing on blending new economic models to support environmental regeneration, working alongside Guatemalan Nobel Laureate, Rigoberta Manchu, to develop healthcare initiatives for rural Guatemalans, developing educational programs for children with special needs, among other initiatives throughout Latin America and Asia. Coming from Guatemala, I also have a deep relationship to Latin American-based initiatives and can communicate directly with them as I speak both English and Spanish fluently, which makes access to the ENS ecosystem much more accessible to many more folks.

I’m deeply passionate and committed towards supporting public goods across the ecosystem and would love to keep up the exciting work that the preceding Stewards have laid down to continue to develop ENS’ engagement in supporting public goods across Ethereum and beyond. Thank you!

I am a community member of Ethereum Guatemala, who have previously won 2 small grants awards as well as a growth grant. If the community were to participate in any future public goods funding from the ENS DAO, I would abstain from making decisions related to the vote.

7 Likes

I am a current Public Goods steward and want to continue my role in this working group and our recent initiative of expanding the funding of public goods throughout the Ethereum ecosystem.

The current term can be seen as step one in the following two-step process:

1. Creating the platforms for public goods funding opportunities from ENS
  2. Building awareness of and involvement in these platforms

Over the past five months, the current stewards and I have significantly improved the availability of public goods funding from the ENS DAO. Two new grant streams – Growth Grants and Large Grants – have been created. These scale on the existing and successful Small Grants platforms, which will fund 30 ETH to over 13 projects this term alone. In April we saw the highest small grant engagement from both working groups, with 49 submissions from our working group. We have also created a Public Goods Grants dashboard as a source of truth for funding and are wrapping up the inaugural Large Grants program that provides a pathway for up to 50k USDC to be requested for the working group. These are humble successes, but it lays a foundation that establishes ENS (and this working group) as an active voice in Public Goods funding.

The next step is the expand our outreach to the broader community. We have seen great engagement from individuals and projects that are already aware of our opportunities. Still, to leverage this working group’s impact, we should look beyond the existing engagement circles.

The more diversity we curate in the projects we can interact with and fund, the more significant the network effect and positive externalities we will create for ENS and the Ethereum ecosystem… As a foundation in the Ethereum ecosystem born out of grants, ENS is well-positioned to give back and foster ideas, projects, and people that improve our community.

tl;dr: I’m excited about the ENS’s Public Goods narrative and would love to continue to serve another term.

Any other information you wish to share with Delegates (e.g. potential conflicts or existing engagements)
I am a current Public Goods steward with DAO involvement since November 2021. I recently took a contractor role with karpatkey that I have ensured is disconnected from the Public Goods working group.

9 Likes
  • Link to Snapshot: Snapshot

• ENS name: simona.eth

• Preferred Name: simona

• Forum username: @simona_pop

• Twitter: @Sim_Pop

• Why do you want to be a steward of this Working Group:

1. I firmly believe that there is a pressing need to address the continued lack of importance given to public goods in our space. We talk about it, we don’t do enough about it. As a dedicated advocate of collective thriving for years and a firm believer in the power of this technology, I have been and continue to be committed to creating a shift through the redesign of resource flows (knowledge, funding, connection, collaboration).

2. Raising awareness about the role that public goods play in building a sustainable and inclusive ecosystem can genuinely be facilitated through ENS via its reach, resources, regional educational initiatives, public forums, and collaborations and in so solidifying the significance of public goods and their potential for long-term impact.

3. The continued prevalence of inequitable distribution of resources and opportunities within this ecosystem needs to change. Inclusivity, accessibility and fair governance mechanisms need to become the norm and I continue to help make that happen. Enabling collaboration and knowledge-sharing between PG focused groups will hopefully strengthen this trajectory by collectively identifying challenges, collating strengths and maximising the impact of our efforts.

4. I believe that transparent governance is essential for effective stewardship of public goods so I want to be able to push what can be done in terms of openness, inclusivity, and community participation in a sustainable manner. Encouraging ongoing funding mechanisms, facilitating knowledge transfer, feedback loops and a cohesive complex flow network dynamic whenit comes to PG, we can help ensure the longevity of these valuable assets.

tl;dr I want a fundamental shift in the way we approach the creation, distribution, and maintenance of public goods.

5 Likes

Allow me to add my own to these other high calibre Public Goods WG Steward nominations…

Link to Snapshot: tamarandom.eth nomination
Preferred Name and/or ENS name: tamaradom.eth
Forum username: tamarandom
Twitter profile link (optional): tamarandom

First, I hold an unshakeable faith that without a sustained commitment to public goods, we will never change the present trajectory toward further social and ecological harm.

Second, I hold an unwavering dedication to decentralization, recognizing this as another key to altering that dismal trajectory.

For much of my long career within traditional organizations (Sony Music, Google, Capgemini), I felt disillusioned by the social and ecological second order effects we were responsible for. At the time, there really weren’t many pragmatic ways to opt-out. When I first came across the word “disintermediation” to describe the philosophy underpinning blockchain, that was a wrap on everything else I was doing. And I haven’t looked back.

I joined Commons Stack, a organization that researches and develops protocols and frameworks at the intersection of culture and Token Engineering. Since it’s inception, we have sought to “realign incentives around public goods”. I was among the first Stewards of the Token Engineering Commons (TEC), an institution dedicated to advancing the nascent field of Token Engineering by providing grants for open research, education and OSS.

It would be an honor to serve the ENS community in bringing about measurable impact through public advocacy for public goods and recognizing and showcasing builders and projects contributing to the public goods domain.

Any other information you wish to share with Delegates (e.g. potential conflicts or existing engagements)

Commons Stack and the Token Engineering Commons have applied for grants from ENS in the past. Working inside two organizations dedicated to public goods should, I hope, reflect well as they demonstrate the years I have commitment to this, our collective cause.

That said, I would recuse myself from any funding vote for which either would be a beneficiary in order to mitigate any potential conflict of interest.

6 Likes
  • Link to Snapshot: [Snapshot ]
  • ENS name: Saurabhdhekale.eth
  • Preferred Name: Saurabh
  • Forum username: @Saurabh
  • Twitter: @SaurabhDhekale
  • Why do you want to be a steward of this Working Group:
    I previously worked very closely with the Program Manager of Polygon, where I facilitated the disbursement of approximately $1 million in grants. I have received a grant from IoTeX to establish their grant program and have also worked closely with the Program Manager of Compound Grants Program 2.0. I have spoken to more than 100 builders and teams over the last 6-8 months and understands what it takes to make a grant program successful - from both the program manager and builder perspectives.

As Stewards of Public Goods, I would like to highlight several contributions that I can offer.

Increased transparency: I will strive to maintain more transparency in the grants program and in the allocation of funds. The team and community can easily track how funds are being used and how they contribute to the overall success of the grants program.

Clear evaluation criteria: I will establish clear evaluation criteria for grant proposals to ensure maximum efficiency in evaluating and selecting proposals that align with the goals of the grants program.

Community involvement: I will actively involve the community in decision-making for the grants program through regular communication channels and feedback mechanisms.

Impact measurement: I will prioritize impact measurement and regularly report on the outcomes and impact of the grant program to the community, ensuring accountability and transparency.

Building relationships and empowering builders: I will prioritize building strong relationships with builders, teams, and stakeholders, fostering a culture of collaboration and support within the grants program and the broader ecosystem. I will work to empower builders by providing them with the resources, support, and guidance needed to succeed, and by creating opportunities for them to connect.

5 Likes

Nominations have now closed.

The following names will be included on the ballot for the Public Goods Working Group election:

• Marcus / estmcmxci.eth
  • Magnum.eth
  • vegayp.eth
  • Marcus / marcusam.eth
  • coltron.eth
  • Simona / simona.eth
  • tamaradom.eth
  • Saurabh / saurabhdhekale.eth

Elections begin tomorrow at 9am UTC June 10, and close at 9am UTC June 15.

The top three ranked nominees in the election will be elected as Stewards for the Public Goods Working Group, for the Q3/Q4 Term, starting July 1.

4 Likes