ENS DAO Newsletter #3 - 04/01/2022
ENS DAO Newsletter #3 - 04/01/2022
This is the third edition of the Ethereum Name Service DAO newsletter. New editions are published on the 1st and 15th of each month on the ENS DAO Forum, Substack, and Twitter. We encourage any feedback, questions, or comments!
Our Substack has a new section which is not included in the regular release schedule - Newsletter Extras. This section includes special coverage of events, interviews, guest writers, etc. Updates about the ENS DAO Newsletter itself are also published here. Subscribers to the main newsletter are NOT automatically subscribed to Extras. We are now also accepting submissions for Substack.
Gitcoin Grants Round 13 + ENS Ecosystem $69,420 Matching Pool
Our first ever Gitcoin Grant matching round has come to a close, and support from the community has been incredible! Gitcoin Grant Round 13 featured an additional $69,420 matching pool from the ENS Ecosystem Working Group for open source projects that advance education, usability, and integration of Ethereum Name Service and ENS DAO.
During the matching round from March 9th - 24th, over 100 people contributed the equivalent of close to $800 to our newsletter! A report with full details of the contributions can be found here. We would like to thank everyone for their generosity and encouragement, even those that didn’t contribute during Grants Round 13!
ENS DAO Governance
After a false start due to a technical error was noticed early by Nick (@nick.eth) and Makoto (@matoken.eth), final “on-chain” voting for EP7, EP8, and EP10 on Tally was completed, with all proposals being passed. A date for final voting on EP9 will be announced soon. Although consensus was already signaled on Snapshot, this final vote on Tally is necessary to execute changes put forward in proposals that require new code to be deployed on the blockchain.
A summary of the most recent proposals can be found below.
|Proposal Discussions||Snapshot Link (first vote)||Tally Link (final vote)||Status|
|[EP7.1] [Executable] Q1 & Q2 2022 Meta-Governance WG Budget||Snapshot||Tally||Passed|
|[EP7.2] [Executable] Q1 & Q2 2022 ENS Ecosystem WG Budget||Snapshot||Tally||Passed|
|[EP7.3] [Executable] Q1 & Q2 2022 Community WG Budget||Snapshot||Tally||Passed|
|[EP7.4] [Executable] Q1 & Q2 2022 Public Goods WG Budget||Snapshot||Tally||Passed|
|[EP8] [Executable] Reimburse True Names for expenses and tax obligations incurred on behalf of the DAO||Snapshot||Tally||Passed|
|[EP9] [Executable] Change to Exponential Premium Price Oracle||Snapshot||TBA||Final Vote TBA|
|[EP10] [Executable] Fund a DAO-Governed Identity Server||Snapshot||Tally||Passed|
Visit the ENS Snapshot page for details regarding the most recent proposals.
For details on the ENS DAO proposal process see our Governance Docs.
Working Group News
The EP7 proposals allocating funding to our four Working Groups were passed and executed on chain. The requested WG funds are now in their respective multi-signature wallets, the details of which can be seen on Orca.
If you would like to contribute to the development of ENS, please contact a Steward.
Our four groups are Community, Ecosystem, Meta-Governance, and Public Goods.
- The Community Working Group has onboarded to Orca Protocol. Check out our pod! Funding of the Working Group multi-sigs should happen over the next two weeks, which will enable us to compensate contributors within our WG subgroups. [Editor’s note - WG funding has been transferred!]
- A Temp Check for an ENS DAO Code of Conduct has been posted in the governance forum. We are encouraging a broad community discussion to identify our expectations for conduct while participating in the ENS DAO.
- During the past two weeks, the Community Office Hours on Twitter Spaces recently hosted Greg from .eth Leaderboard and @julz from Orca Protocol. If you missed these spaces, the recordings can be found on the ENS DAO Twitter account.
- The Community Working Group hosted calls with Parcel and Utopia Labs to view demos of their financial tooling. Both the Utopia Labs Demo and the Parcel Demo were recorded.
- “Both products appear to be highly composable, allow batch payments or recurring payments in multiple cryptocurrencies, and provide data fields for proper accounting. These products are very similar. Choosing a platform may come down to which team the DAO prefers.” - @coltron.eth
Comunidad Para Hispanohablantes
- Comunidad Para Hispanohablantes opened a thread on the governance forum, “to encourage members of the LatAm and Iberian ENS Community to share ideas.”
- In discussion with @futurx.eth, @estmcmxci is proposing a collaboration, in the form of a series of workshops that will be free to holders of .eth domain names. The workshop will walk through ENS’ ecosystems, participation in Web3, community driven initiatives, music initiatives, and public goods.
- @futurx.eth has spent over 15 years working around of cultural institutions in LatAm including Argentina’s Ministerio de Cultura, British Council and more recently participating in UNESCO’s culture initiatives, is leading LatAm’s Web3 communities into the Future.
- @estmcmxci has identified Futurx’s initiatives are aligned with ENS’ values: accesibility, transparency, and inclusivitiy.
- This initiative will focus on the LatAm and Iberian communities within ENS and will be transcribed in Spanish.
@estmcmxci on his initiatives for the LatAm & Iberian Communities:
Feliz de participar en el @ENS_DAO como el mayordomo de la Comunidad Para Hispanohablantes!
Mi meta único es amplificar voces Latinx. Si vos tiene un proyecto Web3 quiero hablar con utd.
Apoya a nuestra comunidad votando “sí” por la propuesta de este grupo de trabajo.
— Marcus Martínez (@estmcmxci) March 1, 2022
- The .eth Website Subgroup is excited to announce that our .eth Website Competition begins on 1st April! You can participate by creating .eth website with your ENS name as well as nominating and voting for other cool .eth websites. Learn more here!
- The Ecosystem Working Group held two meetings in late March, on the 21st and 29th. ENS delegate and Ecosystem Steward @slobo.eth has provided more information about the meetings, which can be found here:
- Several discussions are underway related to the operations within the DAO, including a Cool Down Periods Proposal, Governance via GitHub, and an ENS enDAOment.
- The Meta-Governance working group is currently taking requests for Subgroups.
- The Public Goods working group is currently taking requests for Subgroups.
In Case You Missed It: ENS NFTs!
- The ENS DAO is collaborating with Galaxis (@Galaxisxyz) (formerly Ether Cards) to launch a new seasonal NFT series. A list of winners for the first of 12 can be found here.
- The NFTs are themed after Fae mythology and the significance of True Names. Each month’s NFT will be distributed to 144 people who have participated in the ENS DAO ecosystem; keep an eye open for qualifying criteria for future months!
- Anyone who can collect all 12 is in for a special treat - it’ll be possible to “forge” them all together into a single seasonally-changing NFT that represents the whole year.
- Here are links to the official collections on OpenSea and LooksRare.
- Ethers now has support for CCIP Read and ENS wildcard resolution!
- The Exponential Price Oracle Contract to replace the current Linear Price Oracle Contract (EP9) has passed the first vote on Snapshot, and the final “on-chain” vote on Tally will be announced soon.
Work continues on numerous contract updates for ENS. Among these include:
- Name Wrapper
- Reverse Registrar
- ETH Registrar Controller
- Public Resolver
Onboard to the ENS DAO!
- Sync up with our Community Working Group!
- Join our weekly onboarding call every Friday at 1:30 pm EST (6:30pm UTC) to learn about our DAO, governance process, $ENS Tokens, and current projects.
- Join on our Discord to chat about ENS or speak to a moderator.
- Visit our Governance Docs.
Always Do Your Own Research! (DYOR)
Apeing into a new project can be fun and exciting, but getting rugged is definitely not. Translation: Blindly going all in on a new project can be fun and exciting, but losing your entire investment in an exit scam is definitely not. Always be sure to research any new project before trusting it with access to your wallet or investing any of your hard earned money into it. Never let emotions lead you to making ill-informed financial decisions - also known as FOMO - Fear of missing out, or its opposite, FUD - Fear, uncertainty, and doubt.
- On March 27th, Budweiser held an event in St. Louis, MO called NFT Beerfest. Featured at the event were limited print cans proudly adorned with the company’s own ENS name, beer.eth. Budweiser was among the first major companies to embrace an ENS domain name in their online marketing, purchasing the name in August of last year for 30Ξ and briefly using it for their Twitter name.
- Secondary market sales of ENS names continues to be very popular. According to the Twitter account ENS Sales Bot, the top five .eth name sales of the past two weeks were:
- hex.eth - 18.5Ξ ($62,500)
- xyz.eth - 15.3Ξ ($52,000)
- durant.eth - 14.9Ξ ($50,000)
- gucci.eth - 12.0Ξ ($40,000)
- bitso.eth & meow.eth - 10Ξ ($34,000)
(approximate exchange rate as of March 29, 2022)
- According to eth-leaderboard.eth, the top five Twitter accounts by followers remain the same as in our previous edition, and are (as of March 29, 2022):
- ParisHilton.eth (@ParisHilton)
- TreySongz.eth (@TreySongz)
- jccaylen.eth ᵍᵐ (@jccaylen)
- lauren ✰ laurdiy.eth (@laurDIY)
- MarioBautista.eth (@mariobautista_)
Thank you so much for reading! Until next time, take care.