Q1/Q2 2023 Working Group Steward Nominations & Election

UPDATE (Dec 6th)

Nominations are now open

Nominations are open until 9am UTC on Dec 9th.
Please follow the links to submit a nomination for the relevant Working Group.

MetaGovernance Working Group - Nominations

ENS Ecosystem Working Group - Nominations

Public Goods Working Group - Nominations

Original Post (Dec 5th)
This post doesn’t require any immediate action from anyone. It is simply a ‘heads up’ for community members who are thinking about running in the Steward elections for the First Term of 2023 also known as the Q1/Q2 2023 Term.

For the Q1/Q2 2023 Term, three Stewards will be elected for each of the three Working Groups: Meta-Governance, ENS Ecosystem, and Public Goods. The rules related to Working Group Stewards are set out in EP 1.8.

Section 3.5 of EP 1.8 sets out the responsibilities of Working Group Stewards.

Steward Election

Stewards will be elected through a Steward election. The Steward election for the Q1/Q2 2023 Term begins at 9am UTC on December 10 and will be open for 120 hours (five days). The Steward election will use approval voting as the voting method.

Incoming Stewards will take up their roles within Working Groups at 9am UTC on January 1.

December 10 : Steward election commences
December 15 : Steward election ends

Steward Nominations

If you would like to nominate yourself, the Nomination Window opens at 9am UTC on December 6 and closes at 9am UTC on December 9.

Any person is eligible to nominate themselves to be a steward of a working group during the nomination window.

In order to nominate yourself as a steward, you must have write-access to all of the categories in the governance forum. Please submit the Participant Request form if you require write-access. If you have submitted the form and have not received a response it is because there is an invalid entry in your form. Please DM me on Twitter (@futurealisha) to follow up with issues.

December 6 : Nomination window opens
December 9 : Nomination window closes

**Follow the links at the start of this post to submit a nomination.

7 Likes

Nominations are now open

Nominations are open until 9am UTC on Dec 9th.
Please follow the links to submit a nomination for the relevant Working Group.

MetaGovernance Working Group - Nominations

ENS Ecosystem Working Group - Nominations

Public Goods Working Group - Nominations

2 Likes

A question regarding the qualifications for the above positions.

Are there any?

I mean in general politics anyone can run to be a people’s representative. But when it comes to appointed positions to posts, these typically require people to have some qualifications and pass a vetting process before the representatives vote.

Also why only a 3 day Nomination window and 5 days for voting? I see these windows defined in:

Honestly would like to see these changed to at least 7 days since 3 day windows on important governance activities are way too short. Notice with absentee ballots and nominations in political systems nominations typically take a month or more, and voting a month or more. I don’t really see how one can have real social/political discourse to sort/vet nominations properly in such short time periods.

Anyone can nominate themselves to be a WG Steward. There are no qualification requirements.

The WG rules passed under EP1.8 set out the nomination window and election process for steward elections.

The length of the nomination window can be changed at any time by a social proposal.

Yeah I found it. Really think these windows are far too short to vet candidates and/or engage governance/voters generally.

As to requirements. Will think more on this as many elected officials are required to complete certain certifications to carry out official activities (clerks for example have to be certified notary, etc.)

I am opposed to gatekeeping. The intent behind the drafting of the WG rules was to make it as open as possible so everyone has the same opportunity to seek election.

I personally feel that the length of the nomination window is fine, but it can be changed at any time. For context, the nomination window itself was only designed to confirm that nominees are human.

The entire election process, including the nomination window, currently takes place over nine days. Given that this process takes place twice a year, this is more than enough time for delegates to familiarize themselves with nominees.

The reality is that most nominees will already be familiar to delegates at this time because of their participation in this forum or within working groups.

2 Likes

I found the choice voting without ranking quite weird to reason about, especially combined with the fact that there were so many qualified candidates. In any case here is how I voted:

PG Working group: @daylon.eth @AvsA @matoken.eth and @Coltron.eth
ENS Ecosystem: @cap @slobo.eth @Limes and @daylon.eth
Meta Governance: @nick.eth @simona_pop @accessor.eth

7 Likes