Hello and welcome to the Ethereum Name Service DAO Newsletter!
|Draft||[Social] Routine DAO treasury management||N/A||Discussion|
|Passed||[Social] [EP2.2.5] Selection of an ENS Endowment Fund Manager||Snapshot||Discussion|
For details on the proposal process see our Governance Docs.
Keep up with important dates by subscribing to the ENS DAO’s calendar.
|Meta-Governance||8pm UTC||Tuesday||Google Meet|
|Ecosystem||5pm UTC||Thursday||Google Meet|
|Public Goods||6pm UTC||Thursday||Google Meet|
There will not be any working group calls from December 16th through the New Year.
Nominations are now open for Q1/Q2 2023 Working Group Steward elections! There are three Working Groups:
If you’re interested in being a Working Group Steward, nominate yourself on the forum before 9am UTC Dec 9th!
The Steward election for the Q1/Q2 2023 Term begins at 9am UTC on December 10 and will be open for 120 hours (five days).
Steward Nomination & Election dates:
- December 6: Nomination window opens
- December 9: Nomination window closes
- December 10: Steward election commences
- December 15: Steward election ends
- January 1: Incoming Stewards take roles within Working Groups
For a complete overview, please see this forum post.
This has been an immense year for the ENS DAO and it was only possible because of the great community.
To celebrate the community we are announcing the ENS Scholars 2023: $12,000 USDC streamed over a year for the great undervalued talent of ENS and Web3.
We hope to find developers, artists, writers, community builders and anyone who has been working towards the betterment of the ENS community but are not being sufficiently rewarded for it.
ENS Public Goods Scholarships dates:
- November 30: Nominations
- December 6: Nomination review
- December 8: Voting
- December 13: Confirmation of voting with awardees
- December 15: Results Announcement
- January 1: Stream starts
For a complete overview, please see this forum post.
@nick.eth has provided a status update on the ENS DAO endowment.
Karpatkey will begin preparing a plan for structuring and managing the endowment, aiming for a total of approximately $30 million in the Endowment fund to start.
See the full post for more details: Endowment progress update, Nov 30
@nick.eth has written a social proposal for Routine Treasury Management which grants the Lead Steward the responsibility of reviewing the state of the DAO’s accounts, regularly updating the DAO on their state, and making reports to the DAO whenever they judge that action from the DAO may be required.
The purpose of this proposal is to establish basic parameters around the DAO’s working capital / runway and the handling of revenue on an ongoing basis.
Trivia: A Social Proposal asks for the agreement of the DAO on something that cannot be enforced on-chain. Examples of this include a proposal to change the royalty percentage for the ENS secondary market on OpenSea, or a petition to the root key holders. Social proposals have a quorum requirement of 1% and require a minimum approval of 50% to pass. For more information, review the Social Proposal Template and Governance Process.
Jeff Lau (@jefflau.eth), Frontend & Solidity Developer at ENS Labs, spoke in an ENS Hour Twitter Space about the upcoming NameWrapper!
Today's the day!— ens.eth (@ensdomains) December 1, 2022
Excited to have @_jefflau for the ENS Hour Twitter Space to talk about the NameWrapper!
It's going to be a great conversation 🚀.
11am ET / 4pm GMT - Set a reminder 👇https://t.co/ejJXbt6I59
Vitalik Buterin (@vbuterin), co-founder of Ethereum, discussed the merits of the Ethereum identity ecosystem including ENS, Sign-in With Ethereum, and more, in his recent blog post titled What in the Ethereum application ecosystem excites me.
ENS is described as a key component of the Ethereum ecosystem, providing a way for users to easily interact with smart contracts and decentralized applications.
ENS allows anyone to register human-readable names that can be used to securely and conveniently send and receive transactions, while also providing the benefits of identity verification inherent in decentralized blockchain technology.
The DAO is reaching the end of the second 2022 term. Nominations for the first term of 2023 working group stewards will begin on December 6th.
- Following the nomination period, those nominees who have received at least 10,000 votes will be placed on the ballot for election.
- Be sure to check the forum and follow the ENS DAO Twitter for ongoing updates during the election cycle.
The Meta-Gov stewards met with the DAO-approved Endowment manager, Kartpatkey & Steakhouse, this week following the voting results.
- An additional vote for the initial allocation of funds to the Zodiac contract is still necessary.
A treasury management social proposal has been put forward to allocate 24 months runway of working capital into USDC.
An ENS Agora page is expected to be released ahead of the upcoming election cycle.
Gregskril (@gregskril) presented a project that allows the uploading or pinning of an image to IPFS and minting it as an NFT.
- See project on Github.
The November Small Grants concluded this week. This is the last Small Grants for the year. The winners are as follows:
- dm3 Protocol: Towards a standard for web3 message interoperability
- ENS Redirect
- ENS Fairy
- ENS Names Flashbot Rescue UI
- Org3 - ENS subdomain based organization management tool
The last Small Grants of the year wrapped up with five winners:
The Public Goods Working Group will sponsor a scholarship for six people to receive a stream of $1k/month for the following year.
- This scholarship intends to promote developers, artists, writers, community builders, and anyone working towards the betterment of the ENS.
- Nomination period closes on December 6th.
- Voting takes place December 8th – 13th
For more information, please see this thread on our forum.
- December 2nd – 4th.
- @alisha.eth and luc.computer (@lucemans) supported this event.
- $10k Hackathon prizes were provided.
excited to be at ETHIndia with https://t.co/vIZjCx1wr5 (@LucemansNL) and 0xashu.eth(@0xashu_eth)! @ensdomains has $10k in prizes up for grabs 💸 can't wait to see what everyone builds over the next few days! pic.twitter.com/VuSk4QRNfA— alisha.eth (@futurealisha) December 2, 2022
The Plaza presented by Shawn with Water3.
- Water3’s mission is to bring more citizens to Web3.
- The Plaza is a Twitter-like social platform that uses SIWE to help verify users’ identities.
- A forum post requesting funding from the Public Goods working group is here.
Only two days left! ENS DAO is offering gas free delegation for holders of at least 100 ENS tokens. To manage your delegations, visit the official delegation portal.
Considering getting involved at a deeper level? Submit an application to become an ENS Governance Delegate.
Apply here: ENS DAO Delegate Applications
- Follow the ENS DAO and ENS DAO Newsletter accounts on Twitter.
- Join our Governance Forum.
- Join on our Discord to chat about ENS or speak to a moderator.
- Visit our Governance Docs.
ENS stats for November 2022
- 70k new .eth registrations (total 2.79m names)
- $1.7m in protocol revenue (all goes to the ENS DAO)
- 22k new eth accounts w/ at least 1 ENS name (total 612k)
- 5,445 avatar records set (total 62k)
- 1,660 DWeb content records set (total 16,715)
Thank you very much for reading! See you next Tuesday!